“Small and cute”

Price range: US$2 - US$30
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Signe's Heaven Bound Bakery & Café has been a Hilton Head Island tradition since 1972. Signe Gardo still coordinates the operation, which has been featured in numerous national publications as well as the Food Network for its eclectic breakfast and luncheon menu. All-day breakfast includes a remarkably delicius baked French Toast (blueberry, blackberry and old fashioned) as well as fluffy frittatas, hearty shrimp & grits and an assortment of fresh pastries. An array of Signe's specialty salads appeal to local vegetarians as well as her quiches and tarts. Sandwiches run the gamut from turkey & cranberry to Hot Reubens. Then, of course, there are desserts - lots of them, including our renowned double-chocolate "Mud-dauber" cupcake to sweet-potato/pecan pies, fresh key lime pie and a choice of cakes by the slice, made daily.
Carlsbad, CA
“Small and cute”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

To get to the cafe, you walk through the bakery, with its tempting goodies.
The cafe is on the small side but is very cutely decorated.
The menu is also on the small side but it is available on-line to peruse before you go. You probably should.
We like to try out-of-the-ordinary breakfasts, so we both got the southern style polenta, with corn, scallions, peppers, and cheese. We liked it a lot.
We would go back.

Visited April 2014

Rockville, Maryland, United States
“a special circumstance”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We have been coming to Hilton head with a group of 12 each spring. many of us ride our bikes to Signe's for lunch. on this particular friday, we wwre driving around the island looking for a birthday cake..and trip advisor has Signe's at the top fo the bakery list on the island..I arrived at 4:20 and had to knock on the door, they were closed, the owner came to the door and very nicely opened it for us..i explained i was in need a birthday cake and she happily made several suggestions..we selected the key lime cake, she even wrote "Happy Birthday"...for our friend..it was perfect..and better yet, this is a wonderful business..great cafe lunch items, in a cute patio style setting..high on my list!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Tennislefty
Nowhere
“Just alright - but nice porch to sit on and eat.”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Went with the entire family and our dog, so let's get that out of the way first: Signe's is very dog friendly. We were seated right away and even though we were okay to sit in a far corner, our waitress assured us that it was perfectly alright to sit in a better location, even though we had our medium size dog with us. Of course, the dog sat under the table and behaved himself - as he should - and thus, there was no reason for anyone to even notice him.

Our waitress was very friendly and attentive - she made sure we had water and offered to bring some for the dog, too. Midway through our meal she either got distracted or there were simply too many tables for her to attend - she basically went missing in action. I had to go to the counter to get some water - but there was a long line. Eventually, I located her outside and asked for water - which she forgot. Finally, I waved another waitress over who promptly brought me a glass of water.

Our food arrived quickly and was hot. Yet, it was somewhat lackluster in taste. My wife had the French Toast and really liked the Blueberry toast. She did not take a liking to the Blackberry, though.

Two in our party had the Henhouse special but frankly, I didn't think that there was anything special about it. Potatoes were rather bland and a little hard (not fully cooked). I prefer a nice golden crust with a soft and creamy center. The potatoes were drowned in cheese to a degree that was a bit overwhelming. If you like tons of cheese, you'll like it - but I prefer a dish that's a bit more balanced and not so heavy on cheese, so that the taste of the ingredients can actually be savored.

I will say that the Canadian bacon saved the dish for me and that I was also quite happy with the poached eggs - which had the exact consistency I had ordered.

Oh, and the coffee was certainly good - not the burnt concoction that is so often found in restaurants and not overly acidic, either.

Overall, our experience was fair. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat at Signe's but I would also not categorically decline going again.

• Visited April 2014
Bryan, Ohio
“Out of the way but worth the search!”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We had breakfast at Signe's on the recommendation of a friend. I had the corned beef hash and it was wonderful. Hubby had the French Toast Trio (the same type enjoyed by Rachel Ray on $40 a day) and it was also great. Left with a piece of pecan pie and an amazingly rich type of chocolate cupcake-like dessert for later. (I'm sorry I can't remember the name.) Both were delectably delicious! So glad we took the time to visit during our short stay in Hilton Head!

• Visited March 2014
Signe G, Owner at Signe's Bakery & Cafe, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Yes, we are out of the way (that was my husband's idea).
But, we have seemed to manage pretty well these 42 years.
As you know, Hilton Head Island is a bit out of the way as well.
You also may have noticed we have "quirky" names on most
of our baked goods. All 4 of our daughters have cakes named
after them - the most popular being our "Jessica Pink Lemonade"
cake. We have a multi-grain bread with nuts called "Tom's Power Bread",
because it helps keeps my husband regular (tee-hee).Those chocolate
cupcakes which you called "delectably delicious" are called "Mud-daubers"
because they resemble the nests of hornets that can be found under
the eaves of houses in our area. The cupcake Mud-daubers" are covered
with a rich chocolate sour-cream frosting, 2 kinds of ganache plus candied
pecans. They will definitely give you a quick chocolate high !
Hope we get to see you again on your next trip. Hilton Head
Island is Ohio's favorite beach resort. Thanks for taking the time to
write and the kind words.
Alabama
“Repeat Customers”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Visited with a party of 10 and we all enjoyed our food. Yes, it is a small, quirky place with disposable silverware. It is not billed as an upscale restaurant. It's a bakery! Our server was attentive and the food was fresh. It was crowded, but they did their best to accommodate us. Orders consisted of waffles, quiche, frittatas, the egg plate, etc. We will return. Give it a try if for nothing else than the bakery items!

Visited March 2014
Yes. We like our quirkiness as well. Our "Garden Room" gets a
lot of comments with many guests taking photos. It was all
"hand-created" by your truly. It's something I enjoy.
Sounds like you covered the waterfront on our menu with
your 10 guests. Glad we could help provide you with an
enjoyable start to your day. Blessings.