“Fabulous Black Bean Burgers”
Review of The Urban Vegan - CLOSED

The Urban Vegan
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Fabulous Black Bean Burgers”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I visited for the first time on Sunday 5/11/14 for lunch and again on Saturday 5/17/14. The first time was on Mother's day. Only a couple of tables were full (1 being a quite large party). We sat outside and it was nice that I could order vegan and my boyfriend could order from the Capt'n Fishy menu. Two restaurants in one -- really cool! My only complaint would be from that day is the very slow service - as if we weren't even there/noticed at the restaurant. We sat at the outdoor dining area where another table of guests were. We were pleasantly surprised though when the food did arrive. My black bean burgers (two come on a plate -- no bun required, with slaw and choice of sides). I had the sweet potato fries. My meal was very tasty and not expensive. Boyfriend had shrimp sandwich the first visit and a fried oyster sandwich the next -- he love both of them. I craved the black bean burgers for an entire week and could not wait for the weekend so I could go back. 2nd visit we were the only guests (they had only been open for less than an hour when we arrived) -- service was perfect this time and of course the meal was great as well. This is a really good family restaurant that caters to both vegan and non-vegan. Food is prepared well and tastes great. We will definitely be returning often and hope the service stays consistent.

• Visited May 2014

Detroit, Michigan
“Delish!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have been wanting to try the Urban Vegan, but wasn't sure that I could talk my husband into eating there, we ended up there on a lazy Sunday afternoon and it was great. I, of course ordered from the vegan, gluten-free menu, hubby from the Cap. Fishy's regular menu, neither of us were disappointed (personally, I think my vegan crab cakes beat his pasta with shrimp).

Hubby also had the hushpuppies as his side dish and declared them a winner. My sweet potato fries were wonderful.

Try and get a table in the middle section if you can, you then can see a slice of water. There's lots of people watching to be had as several restaurants share the same space. I imagine it gets quite crowded in the evenings during the season as there are outdoor bars as well, but the day we were there, it was great and parking was plentiful.

• Visited April 2014
Columbus, Georgia
“Amazing GF Vegan menu”
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We have been coming to HH for years now. This is the best food I've had here hands down. The vegan gluten free menu is awesome. Being a chef makes me picky anyway but having food allergies as we'll is always a task when eating out. The manager was very friendly and asked several questions as to make sure I enjoyed my stay. He made several menu suggestions which were delicious! We are going back tonight with friends and will probably visit a few more times during our stay!! Thank you Urban Vegan!!!

Visited April 2014
Somerset, New Jersey
“Great food - Carnivores wont miss anything. ”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Found this gem in HHI. We ate 3 times in 2 days. That's how good the food is. Joe , our server who takes care of the restaurant is great.

“A Rare Surprise!”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We always look for vegan restaurants (in Vancouver, Montreal, the Eastern Shore, and it's not easy) because our daughter has dairy and egg allergies (& recently just went ahead and chose to be vegan). The Urban Vegan Cafe and Captain Fishy's was JUST WONDERFUL! Aside from the fact that our group can eat vegan and fish at the same meal (fabulous), the vegan food is kind of spectacular. Vegan creme brûlée! And it was amazing! We began our meal with a delicious appetizer of Cauliflower PopPops. We had the Apricot Almond Cole Slaw as a side, which really could be served at any four star restaurant (ok, one that serves Cole Slaw). I had the non-vegan, regular, crab cakes and they were so tasty, just like homemade! Really, what we got was a vegan surprise that anyone who isn't even vegan could appreciate and rave about. This is our second day here in Hilton Head and we will definitive be going back this week for at least one more meal, if not more. Plus dessert.

Visited March 2014