“Love Hilton Head just not Sea Pines”
Review of Sea Pines Resort

and 1 more site!
Sea Pines Resort
Cherryville, North Carolina
“Love Hilton Head just not Sea Pines”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed week of July 12th. My husband, son, daughter and I have been going to Hilton Head for 6-7 years now. We haven't stayed in Sea Pines since we had kids and thought we'd give it a try again. We rented a 3 bedroom villa through the Sea Pines Resort. First, I don't like that they don't have reviews of their properties. Some of the information on the website was vague, also, like "at least 1 TV with either VCR or DVD." I wanted more information as the kids were taking friends this time and like some down time during the day to chill out with the TV. The customer service person said she was pretty sure that not only did the master bedroom have a TV but also one of the other rooms. That was not the case, so my husband and I got to watch a lot of "teen" TV except for the one day they all went into the master bedroom.
Secondly, I was told that the villa was within walking distance to the beach. We stayed at South Beach, and not being familiar with Sea Pines, had no idea we were at the very end of the island where the ocean meets the sound. Literally. Once we started down the path to the beach, we thought it wasn't so far. Then we stepped onto sand and kept walking and walking over dunes to get to the ocean. Not fun loaded down with chairs, a tent, cooler and beachbag. The kids helped since they are older and could, but it was still a lot to carry on such a hike! Plus there was a lot of "sticks" on the beach (maybe sea grass washed ashore?) that made the beach area very, very small at high tide. However, we did see dolphins 2 or 3 times, so that is a positive. The next day, we drove to the Beach Club which had just opened the week before. I jumped out to walk to the beach to check it out as there were no parking spaces. It was jam packed with people. Barely room to walk. So that was out. Instead, we went to Coligny (outside Sea Pines). We liked this much better but still weren't happy about having to drive to a nice beach.
My biggest complaint years ago was the beaches at Sea Pines and that hasn't changed at all 25 years later. I thought staying at a place "within walking distance" would help, but sadly, it did not. The best part was being close to South Beach Marina as the kids rode their bikes there daily for ice cream and to talk around. They were not impressed with Harbor Town, but my husband and I liked it a lot. Luckily, the kids were nearby when they called our name (no pagers) at the Crazy Crab because it was 30 minutes earlier than they had told us to check back in with them. Too bad they don't use your cell phones like other area restaurants.
Forgot to mention that our villa was not what we would call clean when we arrived. They had not cleaned several of the tables (sandy) and the 2 frying pans were unusable as they had dried up food on them (maybe eggs). I called the front desk to ask where I could go buy a new pan, and thankfully they brought 2 new ones to us. They also sent someone to clean the den. Also, our villa was NOT ready at 4 pm even though they said it was guaranteed to be ready then. We had to wait an additional 30 minutes, so luckily, we decided to go the grocery store across the street from the Welcome Center. Lucky because there are no grocery stores within Sea Pines! You have to leave the gates to grocery shop.
All in all, we had a nice vacation. That was mainly due to the fact that you're still at the beach, the weather was mostly great, and we were with our family. We refused to let the negatives ruin the trip. However, we won't be staying in Sea Pines again. Back to Palmetto Dunes next year!!!

5 Thank MBBowen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

If you have small children this is NOT the resort you want to pick. The restaurants are minimal 2 hour waits , terrible parking, the beach is 2 miles away so you have to take a trolly that is usually packed so tight you have to wait for the next, once you get to the beach you have a very long walk with all of your items and children in tow. The resort complex itself is very confusing. If you have kids they suggest you do not use their pool and go across the street to the other one. All in all just not a family friendly place. The rooms are small too. Oh and do not leave anything behind they charged me $50 to ground ship my tablet back to me. They left it on the porch in the heat and rain and now it's broke I am waiting the shipping service is calling me back AKA they won't do anything about it. everything is over priced and not worth it.

2 Thank Sarah_J_Mom_of_2
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We have been coming to HH for 30 yrs. The new reno is beautiful but 14.00 for a pina colada and 12.00 for a pre packaged turkey sandwich...Really? The new prices for drinks and food are obscene. We will still come to the beach but we will be bringing our own food and drinks. Bring back some of the 'original' beach food, like chicken fingers and at a fair price, please! New employees are not helpful and have no personality.

2 Thank Giddyupandgogirl
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My family has vacationed in Sea Pines for 20 yrs. It has always been a wonderful experience until this year. We visited as usual, the week of July 4th, and expected the crowds. We knew to arrive at the beach club before noon to get a parking space....well not this year! With 5 adults and 2 toddlers in tow, we arrived by 10:30 every day and could find nowhere to park...even in the overflow lot across the street. We had to drive back to a shopping center where we waited 25 minutes in the broiling sun with a 2yr old and a 1yr old for the trolley....too full to enter one day, and so full the next that we had to hold all of our equipment and the children. After finally arriving at the beach, we were dropped off at the back of the lot, again to carry all the necessary equipment with 2 toddlers all the way to the actual beach. After all this time, the children (and adults I should add) had had it. We attempted to calm them down with a small lunch.....wow....$55 later we had 4 hotdogs, a turkey sandwich (lousy) and 2waters. In past years, the beach grill was perfect ....hamburgers, chicken fingers, and quick service.....well, no more. With the new construction of a "5 star" restaurant those simple days appear gone. yes, we could have chosen the sit down menu of the new restaurant and spent twice as much, but with fussy children that did not seem a good idea.
So, it is with deep regret that my family will have to find a new resort on Hilton Head. Sea Pines has apparently chosen to cater to higher class customer than my family has been all these years

2 Thank elizabeth f
SPRMarketing, Marketing Manager at Sea Pines Resort, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
We regret that you encountered a disappointing experience at the new Sea Pines Beach Club. During the brief transformative period of the new Beach Club’s construction we have taken several additional steps to ensure as seamless a parking situation as possible, including an additional overflow lot at Plantation Golf Club, with golf cart service, plus trolley service and increased bike parking. Thankfully, we are nearing completion on the new Sea Pines Beach Club, at which point the parking lot will be available for guests.

We trust that when the new Sea Pines Beach Club is completed, The Sea Pines Resort will be an even more attractive destination for families. In fact, several of our newly opened restaurants at the Beach Club feature kid-friendly fare, from the quick and easy service of Surfside Market to the delectable burgers and irresistible chicken fingers at Coast. We also offer a discount on dining for guests of the resort. We thank you for your 20 years visiting the resort, thank you for your patience during a transitional period of renovation, and look forward to seeing you again at the New Sea Pines Beach Club.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Sea Pines is a fun day/evening trip. We have rented horses and also ridden our bikes all around. The lighthouse is fun to go up in for a great view. The grounds are beautiful and well-kept. We've had fun here for years. I like seeing the tabby ruins historical site. The only negative is that we went on the 4th of July and you park way far away from the beach where you watch the fireworks and shuttle buses get you to and from. The line to get back to our car after was over 90 minutes. I wouldn't watch them there again for that reason. We didn't get back to our condo until midnight.

1 Thank Tisha399
Thank you for visiting and for enjoying so many of the amenities and activities at The Sea Pines Resort.

We recognize that our Fourth of July fireworks display is increasingly popular, which is why have endeavored to go above and beyond in ensuring an orderly, efficient and safe parking and transportation experience. Flyers distributed at the Sea Pines gate provided specific information about parking and transportation, including warnings of possible congestion and delays.
We received resoundingly positive feedback regarding the fireworks display this year, and hope that the experience you had during the show will entice you to return.

Thank you for your feedback. Please know we continually aim to exceed guest expectations and all comments are appreciated.
columbia
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My son's and I were not staying at the resort but decided to pay the guest visitor to fee to view the fireworks at the Harbour Town Yacht Basin. After going through the gate we were directed to satellite parking and boarded a bus to be taken to the harbor area for the fireworks show. The bus driver informed us that we needed to ask to be dropped at parking lot one on the return bus trip. After the very mediocre fireworks display it was mass hysteria and a 90 minute wait to board a bus for the return trip to the satellite parking. We finally boarded a bus and rode to parking lot one, we were dropped off at the power line area that was the make shift parking area. It was very poorly lit with cars pulling out in all directions and no staff supervision. We walked around for about thirty minutes looking for our car and my children were nearly hit by vehicles multiple times. As they cried in fear I eventually flagged down another bus to ask for help as it was the only option that I and other lost patrons could do as there was no other help in the parking area. The driver of this bus then figured out that I was not in lot one but parked in lot two and was given wrong information from my initial bus driver. He then transported us down closer to the lot two area of the dark power line and we finally found our vehicle in what amounted to over a two hour ordeal.

As nice as this area looks they sure could do a whole lot better with the organization and logistics of this event. I'm very fortunate that my children were not injured but they made me promise we wouldn't return there again for future 4th of July's

2 Thank Jeff B
SPRMarketing, Marketing Manager at Sea Pines Resort, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
We sincerely regret to hear that you did not enjoy a pleasant experience on the Fourth of July. We do take great measures to make certain that parking and transportation is orderly, efficient, and safe.

In an effort to provide visitors with ample information, Sea Pines gate attendants distribute a flyer specifically regarding parking and transportation on the Fourth of July to all incoming visitors purchasing a guest pass. The flyer specifically states that due to the extreme popularity of the event there can be congestion and delays, in addition to other valuable tips.

While the event, parking, and transportation are all complimentary, large amounts of time and resources are dedicated to ensuring the success and safety of the event, including the addition of extra lighting in the satellite parking lots.

We apologize that you were given incorrect information regarding your parking lot number; we aim to eliminate all error so we regret to hear that this rare misstep occurred.

We received resoundingly positive feedback regarding the fireworks display this year, some guests saying that it was the best show ever, so we are both surprised and disappointed to hear that you were not impressed.

Marshall, Texas
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

My kids wanted to go to the letting zoo. We were rudely told we couldn't go there because we had a kayak on our van. Our room at another resort was on the 5th floor so ditching it wasn't really an option. Not willing to work with us at all. When I went to the resort office, I was told the gate was run by a different company than the people that manage the resort itself, so they couldn't do anything. Really?!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank GeraldNissley
We regret that you felt you were treated rudely during your visit.

The gate is managed by Community Services Associates, which is an association of Sea Pines property owners. Neither is affiliated with resort operations. We do our best to accommodate our guests, pride ourselves on create an exemplary customer experience, and regret that you were unable to enjoy all our resort has to offer.