“Girls Weekend=Grand Time”

Marriott's SurfWatch
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This place gets a no holds barred fantastic review from me. First the staff: Oh my goodness, could they be more kind and thoughtful? It is not an easy task catering to six divas, but this staff nailed it. Rosa at the front desk is a saint. She was sweet EVERY time I spoke to her, she never seemed stressed or short, she was patient and friendly at every turn. Then our Cabana "Girl", she was a sweetie. Her name is Beth and she can tell you stories of waiting hand and foot on six ladies with big personalities. She never lost her composure, her cool and at one point we shared a belly laugh at a certain situation. She's the best!! And so cute I wanted to take her home with me. Alas, I am out of sons for her to marry.

We rented a three bedroom villa and the Marriott properties clearly understand the meaning of the word "villa". It was wonderful. From the ocean view to the beautifully appointed bedrooms and bathrooms. Ask about the "party shower". Yes, you could possibly have a party in there. The place was neat, spotlessly clean and the beds were comfortable with towels aplenty in our bathrooms. Lots of hair washing after the pool and the beach (and an impromptu dive in the pool at midnight with our clothes on) and we still never ran out of towels.

The kitchen has everything you can want, we had a full wine tasting session there.

We noticed families everywhere and saw the list of activities for children so this is a very family friendly place. You have to go. It's great. I want to take the grandchildren back there next summer.

Room Tip: We stayed in 5611. Great Villa!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Great place to stay on Hilton Head. Staff is great! Little far from the beach, but the golf cart shuttle makes it easier! Lots to do! The events are very diverse! From music by the beach during the day to roasting marshmallows by the fire at night! Very quiet, but I mean that in a good way!! Enjoy!!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

There are many resorts on HHI; there are many Marriotts, also. Full disclosure...we have three timeshares at SurfWatch. But I also rented for a business trip. It is without a doubt the most beautiful of their resorts on the island. The staff is extremely responsive to any problem that might crop up and they provide lots of family activities. The "villas" are well equipped and spacious. If one can do with two bedrooms, rent the ocean view. Exquisite views from the balcony over the marsh to the ocean front pool and bar/grill/beach/cabanas. A fleet of brown (I think) pelicans might fly right past you on the balcony.

Room Tip: Ocean view, the building closest to the marsh. All balconies have the view!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Steviesnaps
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Just back from our first visit to Hilton Head Island and loved our late August stay at Marriott Surfwatch through an II exchange. Even though the summer season was winding down, there were still plenty of kids for my 6-year-old to meet. I was a little concerned about staying at Surfwatch since I had heard the nickname “Surfwalk” with the resort set so far back from beach and lack of ocean views but the resort consistently has high reviews so thought we would give it a shot. As expected, we were given the building the furthest away from the ocean (Sea Cove) since it was an II exchange. We had a view of the pond near the reception which was okay. I'm glad I took a chance on this resort because it makes up for the lack of ocean views with lots of fun and great amenties.

1- The units are gorgeous – our favorite feature was the master bathroom with jetted shower. My daughter called it the “car wash” and couldn’t wait to get in every morning.

2- Tons of activities for guests of all ages. Our week started off with a free breakfast and magician for the kids. My sister, who has never stayed at Marriott, was looking for “the catch” but there wasn’t any. It wasn’t a sales pitch, just a free breakfast with entertainment. I let Marriott know in advance that my husband was staying home so we were never bothered with requests for presentations. There were other great dining opportunities: free brat cookout ($1 for pop or $7 for craft beer), S’more nights ($2), free sundaes, root beer floats ($3). One of our favorite activities was the beach party at the pool with a great family oriented DJ, airbrush tattoos ($7), and burgers and hot dogs. There are too many activities to mention since the line up is about 10-15 activities a day but a few they offered our week included Iron Chef cook-off, bike ride to Barony, basketball and horseshoe competitions, yoga/Zumba, kids crafts, and popcorn for a visit to the movie theatre. I saw the activities list for the following week and noticed they seem to mix it up a bit for those who stay longer than a week including a low country boil which I was sorry to miss.

3- The beach is terrific. Even though the beach was far away, there were plenty of golf carts if you needed a ride with all of our floats, towels, and beach necessities. Since it was our first visit to HHI, it was interesting that the sand was hard enough for bicyclists to enjoy but it was also very wide so you never felt crowded. The resort is next to a park so there aren’t too many people on the beach – a real plus in my book! The water was as warm as bath water and the ocean sand was soft and easy on the feet. The waves weren't too rough so my young daughter could boogie board which is very popular with the kids.

One thing to note for HHI first timers is that it's very dark at night plus the lack of signage makes it hard to find your way around. The Marriott Surfwatch sign isn't very big so I made a mental note that Burkes Beach street is located between Carrabba's and the Exxon gas station.

We enjoyed many great activities away from the resort – and everything was just a short drive away: Pirate’s Adventure golf, dolphin tour with Island Explorer, Lawton Stables pony ride, Salty Dog Café, Shannon Tanner’s Most Excellent Pirate Expedition, and a few visits to the European Spa at Barony Beach Club including their GurlSpa for a mani/pedi for my 6-year-old who felt like a princess. If you have kids, be sure to visit Shelter Cove during the summer months to see Shannon Tanner perform on stage. He’s terrific with kids and was very entertaining during the pirate trip and his concert. He invites kids to join him on stage and our daughter sang before the crowd and it was the icing on the cake for a fabulous visit to HHI. She’s already asked if we can go back again next summer...and I can't wait either!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Weimie
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed at SurfWatch in late July 2013 and in August 2012. It is a lovely, family-friendly, beautifully-kept property. This year we were in a villa that overlooked the main outdoor pool-- terrific for the kids. We rented bikes right on premises and spent days biking the beach, then hopping in the ocean, then biking again. Go in the morning to see sea stars in tidal pools. At night lights are restricted at the beach, which means you can see thousands of dazzling stars in the sky. The property itself and Hilton Head in general have plenty to do for all ages. A wonderful vacation!

Room Tip: Rooms lowest to the ocean have amazing views; rooms closer to the center of the property have easy a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed at SurfWatch for a week and a half in May 2013, first week we were in the Tide Mark building (great ocean view over the marsh), second half of our trip we were in the Ocean Dunes building (ocean front over the marsh, closest to beach). We had a great time, the villa set up is what we have come to love about being Marriott owners. We plan to return same time next year. My 3 yr old now loves the beach.

Had the best experience ever with a Marriott Representative her name is Noelle Hoover. She recommended great restaurants and made our reservations for our anniversary diner and mother's day celebration. She also recommended a dentist when I had a dental emergency. If you are staying at SurfWatch and need assistance or have questions Noelle is the person that you should reach out to.

Room Tip: Not really a bad view you will either have a view of the lake (the buildings farthest from the beach...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NSD70
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Our family just stayed at this beautiful resort and had a terrific week. This was our first visit to Hilton Head and we could not have asked for a better place to stay. We had a wonderful, spacious 2 bedroom villa overlooking the boardwalk with a lovely view of the ocean from our balcony. We were just a hop, skip and a jump to the beach and the oceanfront pool. This resort offered a great array of activities and there were tons of activities for our 11 year son to enjoy. He particularly loved the magic show, getting to see and hold an alligator and going ziplining! The staff were very friendly and accomodating. The villa itself was huge and the kitchen was very well equipped. We ate most of our meals in as we really didn't want to leave this relaxing location! We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get the building closest to the boardwalk for a wonderful view from your balcony
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family