“Worst hotel experience ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Metropolitan Hotel Hilton Head
Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Worst hotel experience ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I travel a lot.........This was set up for a party we were having at HHI & IF I ever come back to HHI I will make my own reservations. This hotel lacks the very bare essentials. No bag service, no internet in the rooms, not eve coffee in the mornings!!!!..........You have to go to the lobby to use the internet. The A/C is noisy .............. minimal towels in the rooms. The overall condition of the property is poor. Parking is a nightmare.
If I were looking for a place to stay I would keep looking.................Don't waste your time or money at this place...................IT'S A DUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ballihai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Atlanta
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

I'd like to back up some of the bad reviews first. This was not our first stay here so we kind of knew what to expect. The parking is horrible unless your lucky enough to get one of the 6 spots right at the hotel. Otherwise your parking back an alley about a block away.
I don't know why most complain about the distance from the beach. Unless your staying on the beach (which is $100-200 more), its one of the closest places to the beach.
Now, we rented a Jr suite and only had 2 towels at first - but all we had to do is ask and the staff gladly kept us up with clean towels for the week. We were told we'd have a regular fridge. Wrong - got a mini fridge.
The pool is closed indefinitely. We were told because its not handicap accessible.
The room was OK and large.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank jbrian65
Salisbury, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2013

PROS: The rooms were clean. The beds were comfortable. The front desk service from the man and woman was nice and friendly.
It served the purpose.
CONS: Only offered half of the amenities that they had claimed to have. There were no phones in the rooms, no wi-fi in the rooms, Pool was out of order. I never got the golf cart ride to the beach as they had offered. No maid brought towels or toiletries. The balcony was more like a LEDGE. (2 ft. wide at best). The parking was aweful. (In a dark back lot behind another hotel.)
I actually feel that this hotel should be charged with false advertisement and I plan to call the Better Business Bureau.
I got half of what they offered, so I'll take half my money back now.

Room Tip: No tip. It served the purpose if you are just looking for somewhere to sleep for $90.00.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank A H
CHARLOTTE
Reviewed 1 July 2013

went to this hotel with my son and family in june to find that it was not that close to the beach,than find out it has no parking space for handle cap parking had to park down by another hotel and than walk back up the the hotel we stayed in.when entering the room it was nice and rooming,the refrigerator was not defrost,spot on the draper,some yellow stuff in sink,and a smell in the roomed that we had to go bilo for spray for the smell.i am disable and my hands and feets swell when I walk to far. will not stay there again.and my son room the air condition don,t work and the carpet was wet, the ceiling was badly damage and a smell also,but we put it behind us and had a great time anyway.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank FREDERICK T
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

This hotel has six parking spaces. The rest are reserved for the hotel bar. It is close to the beach. The rooms are clean but in disrepair and are missing furniture. If you are plannkng to cook to save on restaurant expense bring EVERYTHING! The staff tries hard but don't speak English so things fall through the cracks. I would not stay again.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank mickelamitchell
McCormick, SC
Reviewed 5 May 2013

The room was large, adequately furnished and clean as was the bathroom with a good shower. The king size bed and pillows were just fine. The staff was friendly and hospitable. There was a coffee maker, small refrigerator, iron and board and a TV. The Wi-Fi worked fine. I thought it was strange there was not phone or clock radio but then though when was the last time I used these in a hotel anyway. A cell phone with an alarm clock, which everyone carries now days is all that's needed and not having a phone system in house is a cost saver for the hotel. No Kleenex either. The hotel is about 200 yards from the beach, which for Hilton Head accomodations is closer than most hotel/motels. I completely agree with Alexis O and skyllo reviews (except I thought the pillows were fine). The biggest factor to consider with this property is the parking situation. The hotel does not have a parking lot per sa. I has spaces down one side of the street on the side of the hotel. These space go for a couple of blocks. There is a shuttle service from the lobby to your car but when you come back after being out and have to park two blocks away in the pouring rain, you might have a problem. I have an idea though if you called the front desk they would send the shuttle (golf cart) out to give you a lift. As I said, the staff was very hospitable. So here's the decision; give up some of the usual ammenities for value or go somewhere else and pay more. My cost was $79 per night total. Given the proximity to the beach and shopping--very close to Coligny--and a ton of restaurants, Hilton Head Metro might work for you.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter which side you are on. Even number room are away from the beach but the rooms...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank captmorgan40
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We saw the reviews after we booked but boy we should have cancelled! This hotel should be condemned ! there is mold in the bathrooms and I woke up each morning FULL OF BUG BITES! It got to the point where I couldnt sleep so I checked out in the middle of the night. The parking is SCARY;Its far away and unlit. There are no phones and the rooms and im sure that the chair/sofa were found outside in a dumpster. Ontop of everything else the staff sucked. DONT DO IT!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

2 Thank Jay A