“Room for Improvement in Some Areas”
Review of Holy Tequila

Holy Tequila
Ranked #65 of 383 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Price range: US$0 - US$12
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2014

There are quite a few places on HHI to get Mexicany food from authentic taquerias to high-end $18 burritos. This place is somewhere between. We had the guacamole (too small) and the salsa sampler (highly recommended). Although the dishes were small you get free refills on your (1) favorite type. They range from very mild to Holy-salsa-Batman-get-me-some-water. There are plenty of warm and salty chips, too. We ordered a variety of tacos (totaling 9) and each has its own salsa or sauce. They were good but no better than the authentic tacos at El Potrero at the other end of the island. The reason I would recommend Holy Tequila over El Potrero is because there were tasty options but tame and accessible... no tongue, brain, intestine... :-) The corn tortillas were good and larger than normal which means bigger tacos. The quesadillas were good, too - not especially flavorful (that's what the salsa is for). The kids meals were kind of bland, but we are always prepared to order from the adult menu for ours because they have more sophisticated tastes than chicken fingers and cheese quesadillas.

But the sides.... what is in that rice? It is so warm and cheesy. And the beans. Go for the beans. The corn and bean salad was only mediocre as was the citrus coleslaw. It was good but nothing special.

As for the margaritas, we ordered 2 classics to compare them to the best on the island at Amigos Cantina y Cafe. These were small and don't compare to Amigos. And for $2.50 (with free refills) I thought the lemonade was overpriced. It tasted powdered.

Overall, it was a nice meal. We left full and satisfied. It didn't compare with other restaurants in the area in certain areas but that's why you go to HHI for a week, right? You hit all your favorites. The one recommendation I would make to the manager is to work on the friendliness of the staff. Our waitress, Kelly, was great. She checked on us frequently and gave us suggestions about the menu. As we left we noted that none of the staff we passed (waitresses, bus boys, hostesses, etc) said goodbye or thank you, nor was the hostess station very friendly when we arrived. And the people who brought the food to our table were efficient, but didn't make us feel like they were pleased to be serving us.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I am a local, came to Holy Tequila expecting great food like their sister restaurant Char Bar, which I eat at frequently. I had been warned the food was not good but wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt. I ordered Sangria. Not ONE piece of fruit, not sweet at all and sent it back. Ordered Mojito. One piece of BROWN mint, not pulverized, and again not sweet at all. Really I can make both drinks sooo much better at home. My friend wanted a drink was supposed to come in copper mug and they advertise as such. They didn't have one but our waitress who I love Joanne found one. Guacamole. 100% bland. No flavor at all. No salsa to add to it on the menu, we added lime juice, salt, pepper, still blah. His drink however was decent by the way. We both ordered the 3 taco meal. My shrimp taco was very good. I also had the fried chicken taco. The size of a tiny chicken nugget. My first bite was full of grisel and fat. The gag reflex set in and it was horrible. No flavor to try to compensate. Last the roasted vegetable. Fair. Not good. Not bad. He had the same meal. 3 different tacos. His was fair as well. Said he would not come back. Joanna, the waitress is a gem. She needs to go back to Char bar. Will never go back!!!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I went here 2 weeks ago and was very disappointed. I am a vegan and there was almost no vegan options. I ended up with a fried tortilla bowl filled with iceberg lettuce. I asked for hot sauce and they brought me a tiny container with about a tablespoon of salsa in it. You could not even fit your chip into the container. My friend that was with me had tried it the week before when they opened and had loved her taco salad and couldn't wait to go back and have it again. She was also very disappointed. When she had it the first time it had a large fish filet laid on top, this time the fish was broken up into the salad and was completely different and not half as good. We had 2 waitresses - one was training the other one but unfortunately neither of them seemed to know anything about the restaurant. I will have to say that the inside of the restaurant was absolutely beautiful, one of the nicest on the Island. Also, the guacamole was very good but the chips were not warm and could have been much better. I will give them one more chance since I am hoping it was just a bad day for them and will hopefully be able to leave a better review next time.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This restaurant has only been open for two weeks, but it's got it down! Went tonight for dinner and sat in the bar which has a very industrial, edgy feel, but beautifully done. Food was superb with items not normally seen on a Mexican menu. My friend had the soft tacos which he said were incredible, including the one in lettuce wrap. As an appetizer we shared a huge plate of nachos with a collection of five different salsas, ranging from mild to OH MY GOD hot! I had the holy tequila burger which was fantastic. Our waiter was Mike and he was excellent, doing a great job of explaining the options on the menu and taking care of us throughout the meal. Outdoor seating area looks like a great place for drinks and dinner. Give this one a try; it's a nice addition to Hilton Head.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This place is awesome! They have a very large selection of tacos, some traditional and some that would make people scratch their heads and say "that sounds interesting". You honestly can't go wrong with anything you order here. My office decided to order carry out today for lunch. Everyone ordered the Taco Trio Sampler, each of us ordered a different taco but we all went with the Mexican Cheese rice (good choice). No one had a negative comment, the only comments were OH MY GOD this is Delicious and I am so glad I ordered that! That, meaning the Fried Chicken taco. If you enjoy good ole southern flavors you MUST try this taco. The Pork Belly is very tasty as well. The service from start to finish was excellent. Very polite on the phone while taking our order willing to answer any questions while taking our order. The order was ready when they said it would be. They even made my bosses Arnold Palmer exactly the way it was ordered. Quality of food was great. I am happy that we decided to try this new place out and we will certainly return for another enjoyable lunch.

1  Thank Stephen R