“Hilton Head, SC...great place to take in the sun w/out getting on a plane!”
Review of Hilton Head

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Frederiksted, St. Croix
55 helpful votes
“Hilton Head, SC...great place to take in the sun w/out getting on a plane!”
Reviewed 25 April 2010

I was recently in HHI, (April 10-17, 2010.) It was a really nice place, I've been through the area twice b4, but just 4 a brief stay! This time, we were able to actually get to the beach during sun hours, took in the sun, local dining, local shops, sight seeing, & the people along with the local culture! It was such a nice, relaxing, fun experience for all ages! (Having kids ranging from 8yrs.-15yrs.old, it can sometimes be difficult to do something that everyone enjoys!) But Hilton Head (HHI), has so much to offer EVERY age group! It is typically a somewhat "pricey" location to visit, but if you're on a budget, you can do it w/out feeling like you've missed out! We stayed at a timeshare resort: "Waterside by Spinnaker", it was a really nice place. It had 3 different pools, (1 heated to 84 degrees, ! lg pool, & 1 "kids pool".) There was usually something going on by the pool, make your own ice cream sundaes for kids, music, some1 was always "up" 2 play a game of ping pong ..poolside, hot tub, if you didn't feel like making lunch in your unit, you could buy crab cakes, a drink, & home-made potato salad for $7.USD per person..relatively in-expensive for families w/many number in them! The town of HHI, is a ver nice town, clean, very well maintained, they don't tolerate/accept any sort of foul language, over-boisterous behavior,When a business wants to open up, it seems that the business has to meet certain criterias b4 being allowed to set up shop, build a building, etc. For example ONLY ONE McDonald's in the town, (thank goodness) & they were required to build the building out of nice white-faced brick, in a very customized fashion! When you drove by it, you almost didn't realize it was McDonald's as it didn't look like the typical "fast food" place! It looked more like an up-scale building w/a nice business in it!(Forgot 2 take pic. of it! ugh!) Anyhow, the people are VERY friendly, (but this is NOT uncommon in the south!) If you were looking for directions or some sort of "tourist" help, NOT a problem! HHI is a location your vacation is what you make of it! If you want all high-end, completely do-able! Want to enjoy things w/out leaving your wallet behind, not a problem either! Which is nice, obviously! Sometimes you go on vacation, & have almost no choice but to drop some serious money (St. Barts for example!) We stayed in unit # 5614, a 2bedroom unit, FULL sized kitchen, 2 FULL baths, living rm, dining rm, balcony, elevator just a few doors down..close enough 2 get 2, but not w/all the noise! It happened 2 b a handicapped unit (we ended up w/ it because our previous unit had a malfunction w/ the washing machine in the middle of the night! (3am, maintence knocked on the door, & appologized for the disrruption & politely asked if they could come in to see if there was some leak somewhere?? Turns out the washing machine malfunctioned, as I said, causing it to continuously fill up w/ water & NEVER stopping!! To the point it flooded my unit AND the two floor's units below us!! I felt so bad, however the over-seer of that dept., showed up a few mins later. (they called him @ his home out of his bed) & he showed up w/ a smile despite the time AND appologized for the inconvience we personally were about to face! (Due to the severity of the flooding.) So he(Bill Martin), personally helped me pack up our ENTIRE unit: including food,from frig & cabinets, clothes from closests and dressers, etc.!!! Upgraded us from a 1bdrm unit to a 2bdrm unit! We finished transferring everything about 5am, & Bill was there for EVERY minute of it! Anyhow, despite that unfortunate event, we truly enjoyed our getaway! We were located just 2 blocks from the beach, the resort offered free shuttle service to/from the beach, which also had tons of shops & restaurants right there as well! We aloved HHI, it was about 1hr drive from Savannah, GA, which had SO MANY of it's own pleasures! It was a shorter drive but because of traffic on HHI, it always took longer unless it was VERY early morning OR after dinner hrs! But because the island movesat a very slow pace!! I mean you are on vacation & the south's pace of everything is SLOW!! So just factor that into EVERYTHING that requires you to be there at a specific time! (ie: dinner reservations, any tours/events). But don't get me wrong it's still a VERY nice place to be/go!! once you got past the traffic, things were very relaxing! I would say you'd need to tack on about 15mins. to get places, which you were driving to, just in/around town! But once you got there, everything was GREAT!! We did enjoy the sites! One VERY nice, appetizing place for a very nice meal in a sort of casual setting: "Just Pasta", located about 1 block or less from beach, was obviously an italian restaurant. Prices were good, food was excellent!! In fact SO good we went twice w/ in a 3 day incrament! Almost went back a 3rd time, but decided to try another place: "Cabbrerra's" (it's a chain restaurant) wasn't informed of that prior to arriving @ the entrance.) I would HIGHLY reccomend to STAY AWAY from this place at ALL/ANY cost!! The service was horrrendous! The food wasn't bad, consideering, but the waiter we had was NOT 'waiter material' by ANY MEANS!! During taking our order, he literally walked away, MID-CONVERSATION, just because another table he was assigned to, was larger party than ours, was an older crowd with some definet money to drop, had said one short comment about a golf game that was on the huge tv screens. So obviously I was upset, but didn't say anything. Towards the end of our meal, I asked for the check, & he KNEW he provided BEYOND HORRIBLE service, he said (& you could tell his statemen he had made at that point, was TRULY IN-SINCERE!!) he says to me, w/ a FAKE smile..."some nice looking kids". I looked at him w/ a look of: "you've got to be kidding me!!" I wouldn't mind BUT, it was SO FAKE, prompted by his own opinion of his poor service, & because he knew it was "tip time!" So I did something I NEVER, EVER do!!..left a tip comprable to his service!! Normally, I let it go, but this time, I just couldn't seem to get my hand to give him something MORE than he deserved!! I was embarassed for him (recieving such a return of favor of a honestly horrible tip!), I ended up sort of sneaking out, after leaving paying our bill! Even my young daughter 8yrs old asked about his poor service!! Anyhow, STAY AWAY FROM THIS RESTAURANT!! ON another note, HHI, was a great place to go, unwind, take in the local sights/experiences & much more!!

albertville al,
1 helpful vote
“my favorite place to relax”
Reviewed 29 March 2010

hilton head sc. my aunt lives there.and me,my grandfather and my great grandfather loved going there.they have great shops,great food places,great hotels and great beaches and we just love being there...the only thing is now my great grandfather can not go.put me and my grandfather are still going

1 Thank leahsmom
Georgia, HHI
22 helpful votes
“South Forest Beach, Hilton Head Island, SC”
Reviewed 22 January 2010

Love Hilton Head Island! Go down three to four times a year to chase warm weather, play golf, relax on the beach and just get away from the hussle and bussle of work and the "big city" of Atlanta.

We usually take the family plus friends (ours or the kids) and stat at a house. Home rentals are very affordable if you have a group. We often stay at a place called Sunny Shores which is big, new, clean as a pin and near the beach.

South Forest Beach is the place to stay! The beaches are less crowded (often almost empty) and is located near plenty of shopping, guality restaurants/bars and entertainment for the kids. Everything is within a minute(s) drive, easy bike ride or reasonable walk of no more than a mile.

The beach is wide and like powder so it's ideal for biking, walking and running without feeling like it's a workout. Because South Forest is mostly private homes you don't get the crowding and have plenty of space for quiet or to set up your umbrella or chairs and spread out.

3 Thank werseabee
home
4 helpful votes
“hilton head sc”
Reviewed 15 October 2009

what a wonderful place. the beaches at palmetto dunes are second to none. the entire area is southern charm mixed with tropical paradise. i didn't expect to find heaven this close to home.

Taylor, MI
“My Favorite Place is Hilton Head, S.C.”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

I love Hilton Head, S.C. I was there the first week of September and the weather was beautiful. Not a drop of rain. I love to sit on the balcony of the Beachside Tennis Condos and watch the shrimp boats and dolphins. The bike trails are awesome on the island and a ride on the beach with the fresh sea air blowing in your face is exhilerating.

Been to Hilton Head? Share your experiences!