“Three Hour Tour”

Barrier Islands Eco Tours
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I went on the Capers Island Tour in March. As you might expect, the main theme of the tour is a 1 1/2 hour visit to unspoiled Capers Island where you can look for shells or birds or a suntan, or you can check out the ecosystem. On the way out or back, you'll probably see dolphin. We saw several. The tour folks have a crab trap, so you'll probably see blue crabs. The guide will tell you all about your shells, the salt marsh ecosystem, the dolphin, the crabs, the oyster beds, and island formation, change and movement. You'll learn a lot and have fun. Good for children too.

1  Thank CoachBChicago
in 25 reviews
"salt marsh"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 27 November 2011

We did the Capers Island tour in November with a group of 6 - Great trip for all ages. Fun boat tour, very knowledgable guide with a ton of nice stories about the ocean and its inhabitants. Lots of sea animals to see in person (crabs, oysters, snails) - and we saw a Dolphin school swim by :-) bring your own food and drinks and enjoy a great 3.5 hour trip into marine biology.

3  Thank HeikoB
Reviewed 13 November 2011

My husband and I took the 3.5-hour morning trip to Capers Island, on the suggestion of our hotel concierge. This was definitely the highlight of our trip to Charleston, and we've already decided that we'll have to take a trip with these folks on any return trip to the area!

Our guide was Robert, and he was awesome... there were only 5 people on our trip, so he had a lot of time to answer questions, find out a little about what each of us were interested in and give information accordingly, etc. On the trip to the island, we talked about the salt marsh ecosystem, types/behaviors of wildlife in the area, the history of the intracoastal waterway and salt marsh canals, the lifestyle/economics of fishing, and all kinds of other stuff. As a "science person," I was a little worried that I'd be bored with some sort of canned, entry-level nature spiel.... but he had info about everything!

Capers Island is amazing - be sure to take your camera, because that is quite possibly the coolest place that I have ever seen. We had a little over an hour to explore on the island, then returned to the boat with collected shells, etc - Robert talked to us about the our discoveries (one woman had found a sea urchin, which was cool!), gave us some more interesting info about the island, then we returned back to the marina.

All in all, an AMAZING trip!!

2  Thank Cathy B
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Called to make a reservation for the company's clam or crabbing trip. When I spoke to Morgan she informed me that they weren't doing these trips this time of the year. I explained we came from Nevada and were disappointed they didn't offer them right now. Morgan asked how many we were and I informed her it was just my wife daughter and myself. She informed me that she could do a private trip for us that would include everything we wanted to do. She later called me back and informed me we could also do a low country boil on Capers Island as well.
This was the best decision we made on our trip. Shane our captain was extremely helpfull and even got out and helped us dig clams. He showed our daughter how to cast a bait net and by the end of the trip had my wife digging clams with her feet in the sand. The low country boil was Fantastic and our trip was the most fun our daughter had. Definetley the experience will be talked about for many years to come and when not if we come back Barrier Island Eco Tours will be the first thing we make plans to do.

7  Thank David L
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 October 2011

My new husband and I chose to go on the Dolphin Discovery Sunset Cruise which we booked through Island Adventures with Wild Dunes Resort. We went after tourist season so it was just us and one other couple on the cruise. Our guide, Robert, was fantastic! Even though there were so few of us he really took his time to show us all of his finds from previous trips and teach us about the wildlife in the area. We got to learn the difference between a male and female blue crab when we checked his crab trap, we got an up-close look at the oyster beds, and we saw several dolphins! He did a great job explaining everything and answering any questions that we had, but he did not talk so much that we had trouble just enjoying the scenery. When we got to Capers Island he even found a sand crab to show us and allowed us to explore on our own. It was truly a fantastic trip and Robert was an amazing guide! It's obvious that he loves his job and his home, and he really made us fall in love with it as well.

2  Thank Emily J