“Good prices, good rooms, and great location!”

The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
Reviewed 23 December 2013

The best thing for me about this hotel was the little that you had to interact or see any of the staff. You are left alone to enjoy your trip and don't have to see anyone, any time you leave or go back to your room. It is a motel style, meaning, that your the way to get to your rooms is through an outdoor hallway. It is nice to feel the great weather as soon as you step out of your room. The balconies were great too. The only negative was the fact that the doors to the balcony are really heavy and make a really loud slam if you don't guide it shut. It is conveniently located right next to a really great restaurant and is right on the beach.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Angela D
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

I am so happy to read that this guest truly enjoyed their stay. I appreciate their taking the time to write a review and provide us with feedback. I am glad they were able to enjoy the location and the nice weather we had overall in December. It was a great time to visit as it is a slower time of year, so you can feel like you have the place to yourself. I do hope they plan to return and stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We started out with a regular room then we thought we would ask how much it would cost to upgrade to an ocean view and they gave the price which wasn't bad but we said no thank you. Well Ms. Kia and Ms. Sam gave us the upgrade for free because they found out it was my birthday! So sweet! Beautiful!

• Stayed: December 2013
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to provide feedback about their stay. I am so delighted that this guest received excellent customer service from Jakia and Samantha. They will be so excited when they read this review. I am glad this guest enjoyed their stay, and I hope they will come back to visit with us again soon.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This was our second stay at the Palms. We get a top floor with full beach view and it is great. Our experience with staff and service has been very good. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. The location is as close to the beach as you will find, and the surrounding area is quite nice. Sept-Oct is a good time to be there since the weather is good and it is less crowded. We will likely return.

Room Tip: Beach view rooms are best. Haven't seen the others.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

I would like to thank the author of this review for being a repeat guest of the hotel. I am so glad they enjoyed their stay again, and were pleased with their accommodations. I am also glad they found the service of the staff to be satisfactory. We look forward to serving their needs again. I certainly hope they will return to stay with us soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed here November 7 - 9 and I was nervous about staying here after reading recent reviews. We have stayed here several times over the years with no problems. We had a wonderful time this trip with no problems. The front desk took care of everything I ask for and our room was clean. We reserve a king ocean front room and enjoy the view. Housekeeping was great. The hotel is showing some signs of age but it was clean and it is ocean front. We don't ever get to stay a full week so this is the way to go for us. We know what to expect about parking so that isn't an issue. It is free on the street or in the lot across the street in November but you will have to pay in peak season. There was a stain on the carpet and the kitchen area showed some age but everything worked and was clean. The free breakfast is OK but it is free so I can't complain about that. The pancake machine attracted the kids and a wait so I went for cereal and fruit and I was good to go. I recommend Acme Low Country Kitchen for a good full breakfast. It is one street over about a 3 minute walk. I do book online directly with the hotel to get the best rate. You can also see the room types and know what you are getting. I recommend to spend the extra money for the ocean front. Isle of Palms is a quiet beach community. We come for the beach . If you want non-stop action - don't come here. I sit my chair on the beach and just enjoy my time here. I will be back here next trip.

Room Tip: I would suggest an ocean front room. It does cost more but the view is nice. I go to the beach for...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

I really appreciate this guest taking the time to write a review for the hotel and for being a loyal guest of ours. I am so glad they found their accommodations to be clean and the housekeeping staff to be great! I am also glad these guests found the front desk staff to be helpful. That is all I as a manager can ask for from my staff, great customer service and a clean environment. I am so glad they achieved this from this guest's perspective. I certainly look forward to this guest's return. I am so delighted they enjoyed their stay and benefited from our location.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

My girlfriend and I stay here every summer. It is our favorite spot in Charleston. It has everything we need. The location is a big part of what makes it so great. We love the beach and all of the little shops across the street. It is very good for families as well. It does not have all of the bells and whistles as a resort in Myrtle Beach. There is no lazy river or kiddie pools with fountains. However, that is all part of the charm here for us. The area is not over-commercialized like Myrtle Beach. We can relax here and have a nice vacation. Charleston is only 15 minutes away and there is, of course, plenty to do and see there. We love it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

I would like to first of all thank the author of this review for being a loyal guest of ours. I am delighted that our hotel is their accommodation of choice whenever they visit the area. We are very fortunate to be in such an ideal location, right on the beach and minutes from Historic Charleston. I want to thank this guest for taking the time to write this review, and we look forward to seeing them next summer.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We wanted a quick vacation spot and they had decent prices. Our room was missing the remote control and the balcony had not been cleaned. There were cigarette butts and empty beer bottles littered all over the balcony. Thankfully the front desk staff, particularly Kia helped to find us a remote and cleaned the balcony but that reflects very poorly on their "cleaning" staff. It made me apprehensive about sleeping on the sheets, because I mean, if they can't be trusted to clean beer bottles in clear sight, would they actually clean the linen? On the positive side, the location is excellent and the staff was very nice.

• Stayed: November 2013
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

I appreciate this guest taking the time to provide feedback about their stay. I do want to apologize for the missing remote and the balcony. I am glad, however, that this was taken care of promptly by Kia. She was excited to know this guest was pleased with her customer service. This review has been shared with the housekeeping staff who are now in the process of doing deep cleans, so I look forward to nothing but improvement going forward. Again, I appreciated this guest's time and feedback.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

We booked this hotel stay through Bookit.com and stayed at this hotel for 2 nights last week. Our expectations weren't high but this was not quite what we expected.

Staff: Very friendly, great customer service until after we checked out. I checked our bank statement when we returned and noticed that we were charged for a night's stay of over $150 even though we prepaid for our stay. I called and the desk agent said that they made a mistake and it was being reversed. It makes me wonder if they were going to even let me know or call us if I hadn't beaten them to it.

Room: No outside windows, the only window we had looked out into the hallway/terrace area and I think its weird when people walk by your room and can look in. We kept the little window closed the entire time which made the room very dark, even with all three lights on. I guess you have to request and pay for an oceanview room to get a window that has a view other than the hallway. The sheets were disgusting. So disgusting that on the last night, I slept in my clothing so that I would be completely covered. The blankets on the bed were thin and although its November in the south, the nights were still a little chilly. The carpet was also very dirty. Although it was dark carpeting, you could still see stains of who knows what.

Parking: No parking deck, only street parking which is metered. They suggested a gravel parking lot around the corner but we were able to find street parking.

Overall: I would not stay here again. We probably would have left if we had to stay in the room for an extended period.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natosha M
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

I appreciate this guest taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I do want to apologize that this guest did not find their accommodations to be satisfactory. I do find it strange that instead of reporting sheets that appear to be dirty, this guest just put on extra clothing. We prefer to have whatever you are not happy with reported to us immediately so we can resolve the issue, especially something you have to sleep on. This guest would be correct in stating that if you want a view, you typically have to pay for it. Every room type is offered on Bookit.com, so if an outside view was desired by this guest, then the option was available for them. The street parking is available during the offseason at no charge as the city does not enforce the meters during the late fall and winter months, which is why we mention that option to our guests. However, there is plenty of additional parking available in the gravel lot across from the hotel that our guests use during peak season. I an glad to read that this guest found the staff to be friendly and the customer service to be great. I again want to thank them for their time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isle of Palms
Wyndham Garden Charleston Mount Pleasant
Belmond Charleston Place
Belmond Charleston Place
#13 of 61 in Charleston

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!