“Nice Location to Beach and Charleston”

The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The location is nicely situated on the beach. I am especially glad we specified an ocean view. Young woman who checked us in upon arrival was quite rude. One major drawback is that parking is located off-site. If we return we will likely look into a rental property.

Room Tip: Nice Location
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Matthew C, General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for your wonderful feedback! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and took the time to provide your feedback.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future!

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This hotel was perfect for our 2 day family get-away. We had booked it through TravelZoo a few months in advance. The hotel was clean and the service was great! The only thing we encountered after booking was that the pool was going to be closed during our stay for renovations. Wish I had known that when we got the great TravelZoo deal to stay there. It did not really affect our stay much as we were on the beach most of the time. We did have a person in a wheelchair with us but were able to use a beach chair. We would book here again. Perfect for our group.

Room Tip: All the rooms have nice decks but might try the ocean front rooms next time.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

We look forward to seeing you in the near future!

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

This was a nice place for a one night stay. We had a oceanfront room with kitchenette and a extra pull out couch. There was only 2 of us, on trivago.com the price was $139 but we got the "managers special" of $194 which with tax was $220..but over all for a one night stay a but pricey but enjoyed the ocean...

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Southern_SC
Matthew C, General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We paid $260/night for a room with no view. Definitely overpriced but for the location we were willing to splurge. There was a no vacancy sign out front so we really thought we had arrived to a special place. After one night we noticed several unoccupied rooms, now the sign said "Rooms available", and the price online had dropped $60/night!! So we asked to switch to a room with a window. We were told it would cost $60 more dollars a day. That would mean $320/night! Over 100 more than rooms were currently being booked at online. It seemed like a total racket. The rooms were similar to a small town Days Inn or Quality Inn, rust on the door hinges, bad spots on the carpet. For the location, it is worth a little extra, but we will not stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Keli O
Matthew C, General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us! I will research the rate variance issue experienced. . . unless there is a mass cancellation of rooms, rates wouldn't drop that drastically. From our traditional, or interior, rooms, the standard upgrade to our Coastal rooms is $30 per night and our full Oceanfront rooms are $100 per night.

I thank you again for your feedback and hope you will consider The Palms Hotel for your future travel needs.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

It is too bad she ruined a great experience. I liked the hotel, the location, and everyone else was so great. But Kia at the front desk was rude, unfriendly, and absolutely is not there to help the guests who are quite an inconvenience to her. She refuses to answer the phone. I thought it was because she was busy so I went to the front desk to wait in line to ask my questions. NOBODY THERE not even the front desk person who I finally found (KIA) in the back. She told me it would be a few minutes and was rude about it, continued to ignore me for 10 minutes and when I asked her again to help she said soon and shut the door in my face. Everyone else was great, but one bad apple can really make a bad impression. Luckily she wasn't the first person I interacted with or I would have wanted to leave before I even began my stay. But her terrible attitude and demeanor have me second guessing ever coming back.

Room Tip: all rooms seem good but slow elevator so we had a room on the first floor which was great
2  Thank debra D

Thank you for taking the opportunity to submit your feedback! Overall, I am glad to hear that you had a good experience at the property aside from the incident with Kia. I apologize for the staffing levels for the morning you are speaking of. We have been going through many staffing changes at the property and are in the process of hiring many new associates to be able to provide a level of service needed for our type of hotel. Having one staff member to run a front desk and the breakfast area are very difficult and I apologize you had to experience this.

Should your travels bring you back to the Charleston/Isle of Palms area, I do hope you will reconsider us! Thank you again.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband, 10-month-old son, and I stayed here two nights this year (2014). We were pleased and had a great first night. We had an interior room with 2 double beds that was more like a cave than a room. It was very dark and in need of updating. The next morning my husband got into the other bed so our son could nap in his pack 'n play in the corner without seeing him and pulled out a pair of socks that didn't belong to either one of us. It was very obvious that the bedding wasn't changed between the people who stayed there before us and us. We were disgusted, especially with having our baby crawling around on what I thought was a clean floor. I doubted the entire room from that point on. I immediately emailed the hotel (would've called but as I said, my son was napping) to let them know. An hour later, the housekeeper manager and the housekeeper that was responsible for cleaning our room prior to our arrival came to our room. They apologized profusely and offered housekeeping services and $50 our second night. We agreed with the terms and went on with our stay. (What else could we do? We had already slept there one night.) We will not be returning to this hotel. It wasn't anywhere near worth the money we paid and I will always doubt the cleanliness of this place.

Room Tip: If you are going to shell out the bucks to stay here, better spend the extra $$ and get an oceanfron...
1  Thank Hannah T

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Palms Hotel. Many changes are taking place at the hotel (staffing, housekeeping standards, etc) that I apologize you had to experience. When all of these items come together, we are sure to provide each and every guest with a top notch level of service you won't be able to find anywhere. I do sincerely apologize for the occurrence, but am pleased that the staff rectified the situation as soon as possible upon discovery of the issues presented to us.

I do hope that should your travels bring you back to the Isle of Palms/Charleston, SC area, that you will consider us again for future stays!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We just needed a hotel room for one night before going home and I am glad we did not have stay longer. We decided to go with the inside room since the hotel was right on the beach. How bad could this be? Please spend the extra money. Inside means inside. There is a window in the room but it actually faces the indoor hallway. The location is nice, though. We walked the beach at night. The outdoor area of the hotel by the beach could need a bit more love. The overall impression of the hotel is old and tired looking. The pool is rather small considering the number of rooms. You overlook the next door restaurant area. In the morning there was still a "restaurant smell" hanging in the air. All in all I would not book this hotel again and rather stay off the island and drive to the beach.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback. We are in the process of completing renovations to our common areas and public spaces for our guest. This is a project that will be spread out over the next several months, but are aware changes are due. For the room types, we do offer a few different types. The Traditional, or Interior rooms are good for the price; however, we do receive feedback about them being dark and just showing into the hallways. It is definitely worth the upgrade to either our Island/Ocean Blvd View ($20 upgrade), Coastal View w/ partial ocean view ($30 upgrade), or full Ocean View ($80-$100). Thank you again for your time and feedback - it is greatly appreciated.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isle of Palms
Tides Folly Beach
Tides Folly Beach
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Palms Connector
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Pa...
#10 of 25 in Mount Pleasant
Wyndham Garden Charleston Mount Pleasant
King Charles Inn
King Charles Inn
#17 of 62 in Charleston

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!