“Good stay, poor customer service”

The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
“Good stay, poor customer service”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here over memorial day weekend.(2 nights) Our stay was nice, office staff was nice and helpful. Upon checking out which was Monday, the hotel charged our account over $600 2 days after leaving. We were charged at check in $615 and then a few days later charged $630. I have not been able to talk with a manager and I have called 3 times. This is very poor customer service once leaving. We will find different hotel arrangements when returning in September.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank merisss118
Matthew C, General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for taking the opportunity to provide your feedback. I am glad to hear that you had a great experience while here at the hotel aside from the charges associated with your account. I know you had an opportunity to speak with our Front Desk team and they advised the double charges were actually authorizations held on your card. Upon speaking with your bank last week, we were able to send them a copy of your invoice and release for the additional amount. If this has yet to be resolved, please contact me directly and I can further assist where I can.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 22 May 2014

In need of a few days break after taking care of a sick family member, I was looking forward to a couple of days at the ocean. Due to Biker's Week in Myrtle Beach, we drove to Isle of Palms and found this oceanfront hotel. Again one of those spur of the moment choices that I regretted. Priced very high for this old hotel that is crammed between two restaurants that played music loudly. If you want peace and quiet at the beach you will not find it here. Swimming pool was not open even though it was mid May and 80 degrees. That was a disappointment since I could have enjoyed getting the sun that was non existent on my balcony. They did let us check in early- 1 pm - which was appreciated. Beach view was awesome and so sad it is wasted on this old building. Beware that parking is an additional $6.00 per night on top of over $200 per night room charge. (oceanfront room)

Room Tip: If over 30, do better research than I did and choose another hotel. The music from the two restauran...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelinggma2013
Thank you for taking the opportunity to provide your feedback. As always we appreciate guests taking the time to write reviews for our hotel informing us of their stay. We take our guest's comments seriously and use them to make needed improvements. This case won't be any different, we will make the needed changes to things we have control over. I will say, however, that we are located between restaurants that offer music seven days a week during the summer peak months. Again, I appreciate you taking an opportunity to provide a review and hope you will consider us for future visits to the area.

Travellers are raving about these Isle of Palms hotels

New Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I was very pleased during my stay at The Palms. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would like to thank Kia for all her kindness. The room was spacious and comfortable. The hotel is very convenient to shops, restaurants, and of course, the beach is right outside your room. This is the perfect beach hotel! I will return!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank smonee2014
Matthew C, General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for your wonderful feedback! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and took the time to provide your feedback.

Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 May 2014

For the off-season high rate we paid, and considering the higher in-season rates, much should be done for the condition of the property. The common areas were fine, but the room is showing it's wear. Outdated furniture, bathrooms that sorely need updating, poor quality repairs visible on the walls, and the main door to the room in serious need for replacement.

Room Tip: If requesting ocean front balcony room, ask for one of the hallway ends - the middle rooms open up t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking an opportunity to share your feedback with us. In February, management presented the ownership a property improvement plan to renovate the hotel. We are started the renovation with our garage and swimming pool areas and hope we can get into the rooms after the summer season.

Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you in the near future!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had a spacious oceanfront room, with balcony, that was very comfortable. Staff were friendly, and the bars and restaurants on either side of the hotel were all great. I'd recommend this over The Dunes any day of the week.

Room Tip: The oceanfront is the only way to go!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LisaER

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Rooms are nice, beds & linens ok. A little pricey BUT For quick getaway I'll pay it. Food, shopping and of course the beach right at your doorstep. Nice & helpful staff. Wedged between to restaurants/bar could get a little noisy in the summertime but if you are a people watching person it would be perfect. Had a great experience, I will book again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica E
Matthew C, General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Park your car and forget it! It's a short walk to the beach, shops and restaurants. I was there in the off season and they gave me a huge room with a balcony. It was a little dated but that didn't bother me. The bedding was good. The only downside of the room was it was near the elevator and occasionally I could hear people waiting. Parking was in a lot across the street and on the other side of the shops. It was a little distance to wheel my bag over there but you can temporarily park at the hotel to load or unload.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not near the elevator. I could hear people talking through my door while t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,981 reviews
French Quarter Inn
#2 of 61 in Charleston
5.0 of 5 bubbles 2,765 reviews

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!