“Average Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
Albert Lea, Minnesota
“Average Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed here with my mother one night while on a business trip to SC. Overall, the hotel was average. Not great, not terrible. Parking was interesting-had to unload under the hotel and then park across the street in a graveled parking lot. Friendly staff-no issues there. The hotel is more on the run-down side. Could use an update. Rooms were basic, nothing special. We had a side ocean view room. It was located next to a bar. Loud in the evening. Location is why a person would come here-oceanfront and in a tourist area, close to restaurants and shopping. Breakfast was decent. Would not spend the money again at this hotel.

2 Thank Carissa L
Reid M, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel!

I was happy to read that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us and interested and understanding about the parts that were less than memorable. Our location is ideal for those who want easy access to the beach and the surrounding shops and restaurants. The bars next door do have live music on the weekends until 10:00 PM and I understand how that can be a bit much for those trying to relax during their vacation. I apologize we did not communicate this to you when you made your reservation. I will speak to my staff to ensure they are including this in their conversations with future guest. We are actively detailing ways to improve our property and we are currently budgeting our funds appropriately to strength the hotel.

I was excited to hear that our staff was able to take care of all your needs! Everyone at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel takes our guest happiness very seriously. It always feels great to know that we are taking care of the people that come to see us.

If you like to discuss your stay any further and dive into any details that you have not yet mentioned, do hesitate to reach out to me. Hopefully we will see you again soon!

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Booked 3 nights and arrived July 15th. When I arrived at The Palm Hotel to check in the staff was very rude Then the main floor of the hotel is for unloading or loading and the ceiling is falling and gone exposing the steal rusted old beams and insulation, not a great sight. Unload and head to the third floor on the old rusted elevator which btw is past it's inspection, it took forever to reach the 3rd floor and the door open so we took the stairs the entire time no boggy. Got to our room across from the elevator and our door is rusted in so many spots with paint over it, the room smells old and nasty like dead cat. There is dust on fixtures, had no toilet paper in bathroom, shower curtain is broken and hanging about to fall, shower curtain will not stay shut while in shower due to it being broken, shower curtain is ripped on areas, mold on bathroom tile, Sheetrock in bath has been repaired in areas and cocking everywhere. The furniture in the room is very out dated and looked very worn, there was a nasty snot rag under the bed, the tv is below bed level, no bedding lol asked about it said its summer bedding, 2 sheets layered nice. Overall very rude staff and nasty out dated hotel. Will not be back that's for sure. Breakfast Buffet was also horrible. Wanted to change my reservation and only stay one night which they agreed to. Thank God.

Stay Away from this over priced dump.

2 Thank artbopa
Reid M, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
We appreciate you staying at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel!

After reading your comments, I see that we did not meet your expectations in many ways. Our loading and unloading area, the ground floor of the hotel, is going through some construction. We removed the ceiling so that would could properly service and boost our pool systems. We will also be removing all rust and insulation to create a more open feeling upon arriving. I am truly sorry that you arrived so shortly after we started work and that we did not properly forewarn you of the work we would be performing. We could have communicated with you better.

We have recently done a complete redux of our entire housekeeping department. We brought in new staff, developed new processes, and purchased new product to resolve many of the issues you commented on. I am aware of all those issues and everyone here is working tirelessly to change and improve the quality of our product. We have also begun to seek out ways to enhance our breakfast buffet and would love to take the time to speak with you about what areas you thought could be strengthened.

Again, I am sorry that your stay was not everything you hoped for and that we were not able to make your vacation positively memorable. If you would like to discuss your stay and speak further about it, reach out to me at your convenience. I hope that in time you will stay with us again at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel.

Travellers are raving about these Isle of Palms hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

If you are accustomed to top-notch, first-class accommodations, stay away! You will be sorely disappointed! If you are simply looking for a no-frills place to rest your head after a family fun day at the beach, then this may be perfect for you, especially if you want to be oceanfront. Either way, expect to pay big bucks for the convenience of oceanfront location at the popular Isle of Palms. It is smack dab in the middle of the action, close to restaurants, bars and shopping. It is also adjacent to the only public restroom and shower facilities on the island. If you are traveling with young children, its perfect.

However, if you are like me, and were looking forward to a romantic couples getaway, think twice. This hotel is anything but quiet and romantic. The rooms all face a central common area, that echos with the slightest noise, amplifying it tenfold. Doors slam, children scream, guests bang the sand out of their shoes at ungodly hours. Rooms that face the common area, that are not ocean-front or street-front, (like ours) have only one small window--and it faces the common area! There is no view to the outside, and I definitely didn't want other hotel guests viewing ME, so I had to settle for a dark room with no view at all, because the shutters remained closed the whole time. The elevators and stairwells felt like they belonged in a rundown institutional setting. Everything just felt...icky.

The room itself was okay. Adequate, but certainly nothing special. It was clean at least. It was very spacious which was surprising. The mini-fridge was appreciated. There is also a microwave and coffeemaker, which would be handy for families. A hair dryer and iron/ironing board were helpful too. The bed was actually surprisingly comfortable (we had a King), as were the pillows.

Overall, I'd say this hotel is fine if you aren't expecting too much and wish to stay oceanfront. The staff was very friendly and did a good job. I just think it is worth spending a little more to stay in a rental house further down from all the noise and honky-tonk of this part of IOP. If you want a peaceful, quiet beach vacation, this hotel and this part of IOP is not for you. Try Wild Dunes, or better yet, spring for a rental on Sullivan's Island, right down the road and worlds apart.

Room Tip: Ask for oceanfront, at the very top or very end of the hall. Anything else is noisy and dark.
1 Thank Stacey K
Reid M, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel!

We are glad to hear that you loved the location of the hotel as much as we do! Being in the center of all the action on Isle of Palms allows for a lot of convenient fun. I did read that the room was less than desirable for you and your husband. Some of our rooms do face the hallway and only have one window that looks into the same hallway. Next time, check out one of our Coastal Rooms that have balconies on the side of the hotel or one of our Oceanfront Rooms that allow for great views of the beach and Atlantic Ocean.

I very much appreciate all your comments, good and bad. I was happy to read that our staff was able to service your needs, you found or bedding comfortable and relaxing, and were able to take advantage of our easy beach access.

If there is anything else you wanted to less know about your stay, feel free to get in contact with me. I would love to hear your thoughts on how we could improve our hotel in the eyes of a couple on a getaway.

Again, thank you for coming to see us and we hope you visit soon!

Ohio, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

This was our first time staying on Isle of Palms, and we were so glad we went. It was a heavenly vacation! I can't wait to go back.Greeted by our now favorite girl "KIA" She was so nice to me and my family. She told us about the area, and where to get good food at, on the island and off the island. She took care all are request that we had.The hotel itself needs a lil work on. Breakfast was good. Our room was A+ Ocean Front. Nice and clean.We love it! We found our new VACATION SPOT!!

Room Tip: Ask for ''Kia" Get a room with a view, You will love it!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Matthew C, General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for taking an opportunity to share your wonderful feedback regarding your most recent stay! We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Wow booked 3 night back in May and arrived July 14th after a 6 hr drive as we have been to Isle of Palm many times over the years. Normally stay with a rental company and are most of the time more expensive and now I know why. It's because there units are clean!!!... When I arrived at The Palm Hotel to check in the staff was very rude, asked me 3 times for my credit card to pay for the room but I had already payed with Hotwire.com and on the 3rd time the got the message. Then the main floor of the hotel is for unloading or loading and the ceiling is falling and gone exposing the steal rusted old beams and insulation, not a great sight. Unload and head to the third floor on the old rusted elevator which btw is past it's inspection, it took forever to reach the 3rd floor and the door open so we took the stairs the entire time no boggy. Got to our room across from the elevator and our door is rusted in so many spots with paint over it, the room smells old and nasty like dead cat. There is dust on fixtures, had no toilet paper in bathroom, shower curtain is broken and hanging about to fall, shower curtain will not stay shut while in shower due to it being broken, shower curtain is ripped on areas, mold on bathroom tile, Sheetrock in bath has been repaired in areas and cocking everywhere. The furniture in the room is very out dated and looked very worn, there was a nasty snot rag under the bed, the tv is below bed level, no bedding lol asked about it said its summer bedding, 2 sheets layered nice. Overall very rude staff and nasty out dated hotel. Will not be back that's for sure. Wanted to leave a day early due to being unhappy and they will not issue any type of refund period.

Room Tip: Don't book at this hotel!
5 Thank Jessecurtis
Thank you so much for staying with us at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel!

It bothers me greatly to hear that your check-in experience, among other things, was not quick and easy. I have taken the time to go over the check-in process for reservations from third party vendors with my staff. I apologize you had to deal with the hassle of explaining to our staff what was going on but I ensure you that I have seen to this issue.

I can understand how you thought our garage ceiling a bit unsightly. A few days prior to your arrival we had taken down our ceiling to do some improvements to our property. We wanted to ensure our pool systems are still pristine. We are also working on removing all insulation and rust to give the ground floor of the hotel, which we use for loading and unloading, a more open and less closed in feel. This winter we will even be installing a brand new elevator that will run faster and more efficiently!

We have also overhauled our entire housekeeping department to address many of the issues that you commented on. These are items that concern me greatly and addressing them are at the top of my list. I have spent a lot of time going over the rooms with the staff to explain expectations and proper cleaning processes.

Your comments are not made in vain and I take them all very seriously. I am a bit embarrassed that this all happened to you but I am confident in everyone at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel and their ability to correct all these issues!

If at any point you would like to talk further about your stay, do not hesitate to call and speak with me. Hopefully, we can see you again at the Isle of Palms!

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We just spent 4 nights at the Palms Oceanfront Hotel in Isle of Palms, South Carolina in early July. Our experience at this hotel was extremely poor and it ruined our vacation.

As other reviewers have noted, there are adjacent bars playing loud music until 10pm. However, what we found much more frustrating was that many other hotel guests were staying in the common hallway areas outside hotel rooms until 1 or 2am and being obnoxiously noisy; this was compounded by the room walls/windows being very poor in sound insulation. We called the front desk our first night twice to complain and report the noise but there was no answer despite the phone ringing for 5 minutes each time. On our second night of suffering through this sleep-preventing noise, we called the front desk who said they would send someone “right up” – HA! We did not hear any hotel staff for at least 45 minutes.

What bothered us even more than the noise: THE HOTEL ROOM WAS UNACCEPTABLY DIRTY and FILTHY!! . Upon entry into our room, the bathtub drain was “clogged” and there were hairs present from previous patrons. We reported this to the front desk, who said that the “housekeeper should have informed the engineer to fix it.”…..ummm, ok, that’s great to know, but didn’t prevent the problem or solve it. Day after day, the carpet in the room was not vacuumed properly and sand/dirt was everywhere. Sheets were not changed on a daily basis (like they should be); toilet basin was not cleaned and looked like it wasn’t cleaned in decades. Most disgustingly, our second night we found cockroaches crawling on the floor in our room. We went to the front desk and confronted the staff member about the cockroaches and demanded our room be checked/sprayed by an exterminator. The front desk staff person simply looked down at a notebook and wrote down our room number and documented the complaint and said she would “look into it” – she didn’t even apologize!

We could not have been anymore disappointed in our stay at the Palms Oceanfront Hotel in Isle of Palms, South Carolina. If you are planning a trip to Isle of Palms/Charleston/Mt. Pleasant area, we strongly urge you to avoid this hotel. We will never go back!!!

8 Thank rachelcharlie2014
Thank you for traveling to South Carolina and staying at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel!

I am upset to read that your experience was so memorable for the wrong reasons. It appears that our staff did not show you the attentiveness you were expecting or deserved. We pride ourselves in our ability to take on and resolve all manner of requests and concerns but we failed you during your stay. An urgency and desire to solve your issues was missing from your experience and I apologize for that. I have addressed all of these concerns with every member of my Front Desk, Engineering, and Housekeeping staff. This are fixable issues that I do not want repeated at this property.

You will be interested to know that we have revamped, restaffed, and retrained our entire housekeeping department in order to resolve some of the concerns you mentioned. When it comes to paying for a hotel, you are paying for the room and expect that room to be clean. We did not meet your expectations. With our overhaul of the department, I am aiming for these things to never happen again.

Thank you for your comments! Negative words are not always the easiest to read but they are the ones that allow us to reflect and improve upon our processes. If you ever travel this way again, I hope you give us another chance to impress you!

If you there is anything else I can do for you, contact me at your convenience. I would love to be of assistance.

Lenoir City, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

The location of this hotel is great! It is right on the beach and the atmosphere is wonderful. The only downside is that everything is closed around it by around 8 or 9pm leaving you with nothing but the dark beach and street. The restaurant next door has great food and the beach access can't be beat! It is a nice little town. The downsides to the hotel was the open format of the center leaving the hotel very humid in the rooms and the parking underneath.

Room Tip: The side balconies are nice too. You can still see the ocean without the price of the oceanfront roo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JandTLow
Matthew C, General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thank you for taking the opportunity to provide your feedback. I appreciate your feedback and apologize for the inconveniences experienced upon your arrival at the hotel. I do sincerely hope you will consider us for future visits to the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isle of Palms
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,965 reviews
French Quarter Inn
#1 of 60 in Charleston
5.0 of 5 bubbles 2,727 reviews

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!