“Right on the beach!”

The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Our family stayed at the Palms in June for a week. We wanted a location that was right on the beach. The Palms was a perfect location with plenty of dining options within walking distance.
The rooms are dated and the hotel needs an overall facelift. My kids likes the pool an the free breakfast especially the pancake machine. Good family option as far as location but I would rate it 2.5 star accommodations.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reid M, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

I am so glad to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel! We are constantly working to improve this property. My hope is that you will come see us again soon and check in on all the changes we are making.

If there is anything I can do for you in the mean time, please feel free to reach out to me.

We can't wait for your next visit!

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed on the 2nd floor. Room without exterior windows. The room was clean, hallway was clean with little places to sit (which were great while the kids slept). Room 207, 209, and 211 can be seen from pool, which would have been fantastic to lay out while they sleep! The pool area was clean & fun- it would be awesome to see it get turned into a mini paradise. Breakfast worked out well for our family, maybe a few protein options (peanut butter or maybe nuts to top oatmeal) could be added. We talked to the assistant manager, who was checking out the rooms after cleanings (good for him!). He was nice and expressed taking ownership to make the hotel even nicer. Being on top of the beach was so nice! Overall, it was worth it and we'd return for a second time. They are obviously working on it- solid 3.5 star.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Kassi L
Matthew C, General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for taking an opportunity to share your wonderful feedback. The hotel is going through many changes, including having my new Assistant General Manager on board that you met. I appreciate you taking note of the changes and our diligence for ensuring each guest has the most enjoyable stay we can deliver. Many more changes are to be made, so keep us in mind for future travel to the Isle of Palms/Charleston area.

Thank you again!

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Reid (assistant to general manager) is here not since long and trying hard, but he has a long way to go. There is dirt everywhere: the room had a dearty carpet (Reid, thank you for your support cleaning it), the corridors are dirty and not welcoming (what about some flowers or green), the laundry room is very dirty, staff is not very attentive, you are not arriving in holiday but in a money producing factory, where it is about your money! Pay it and shut up... this is expected... It was not possible to sleep until 2300 h, too noisy from the bar next door and the neighbours in other rooms, do they have paper walls here? We (family of 4) will not come back. On the positive side is the fact that the hotel is located right on the beach. But this is it.
Reid, you can not change it all alone, get some good people to support... and walk to the gravel lot to park just like your guests, and cancel some of the unloading parking spots under the building to make the arrival at the hotel look nicer...

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sgillioz
Reid M, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Mr. Gillioz,

Thank you for coming to seeing us The Palms Oceanfront Hotel!

I appreciate all the kind words said about me and I do remember the conversation we had about my and the hotels shortcomings. As we discussed, we are working tirelessly to improve upon many of the concerns you addressed to me and wrote in your comments. I apologize for the music from the bars next door. I know this was a concern of yours at check in and we talked about how this would continue until 10:00PM. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your room with an ocean view. The scene of the beaches on Isle of Palms are some of the best in the Carolinas!

You are correct that it would be nice to have parking under the hotel for our guests. Unfortunately, it is a city ordinance that we are not allowed to have parking under the building. Due to this, all associates, myself and the General Manager included, and guests must park in the gravel lot across the street.

I know we talked in detail during your arrival but if you would like to discuss anything further, please reach out to me at your convenience.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed alone for two nights. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. My room wasn't immaculate but it wasn't anywhere close to filthy like others have stated. There was a little dust (probably sand) in the corners but the bathroom and the room in general were clean. I had plenty of clean towels and a clean comfy bed. Yes, it was a little warm in the covered hallways, but hey, you're at the beach. It's hot there! Breakfast was decent and there was a variety. Coffee was excellent!
I was in a coastal guestroom closer to the street side of the hotel right over the restaurant next door. I was able to sit on my balcony and watch the entertainment. I could also hear the music from Coconut Joe's nest door. I didn't make it over there in time to enjoy it but I loved the rooftop dining area there. Parking is a walk across the street to a gravel parking lot and you have to pay $6 a day to park, which they could comp, but you can unload under the hotel near the elevator and they have luggage carts you can use. You can walk across the street to all the little shops and there are several different restaurants to choose from. The beach is crowded, but the hotel doesn't claim to offer you a private beach. If you want private, you will pay much more. I wish I had known about chair rentals for the beach ahead of time. It would have been nice to have a chair waiting for me when I walked down. All in all, though, it was a great stay.

Room Tip: If you get a coastal room, ask for one closer to the beach for the best view. Bring earplugs if you...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Karen,

We are so excited to hear about your stay at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel! We always try to make our guest's stay as memorable as possible. We all hope you will be coming to see us again soon!

In the meantime, if there is anything else we can do for you, just let us know!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The room was clean when we arrived and it was cleaned every day by when we ran into the lady a friendly someone who asked what and how we wanted the room cleaned.Is it the fanciest?no but all we wanted was a bed to sleep in and shower to clean up with.Stayed here a couple of years now.Beach access isn't that crowded and the bars on each side have to be done with live outdoor singing by 10p.m.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kevin W

Thank you for all your kind remarks about your stay with us at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel!
I am so glad to read that you keep coming back to see us and that you take advantage of all that Isle of Palms has to offer!

See you next summer!

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is really dirty. The entrance, the stairwells, the rooms. The location is nice as it is right on the beach BUT the hotel is sandwiched between 2 bars attached to the hotel. Public beach access is right next to the hotel so the beach is crowded. The staff at the desk were very nice but the breakfast lady who set out the inedible food in the morning was very rude. The rooms were kinda gross and I didn't remove my shoes because the carpet gave me the willies. So not worth the $320 a nite we spent. Wouldn't return.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank HappyCouple10
Reid M, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thank you for visiting us at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel! It is very disheartening for me to hear that your stay was so unsatisfactory. I apologize for the busy weekend crowds. The Isle of Palms is a great destination for families in the summer time! This does bring a mass influx of tourist to the area. During the early fall, things slow down and the weather and water are still warm. That would be a great time for you to come and enjoy the isle again! We pride ourselves in our customer service. I was happy to hear that the Front Desk was attentive to your needs and requests. Though I am sorry that our breakfast staff and food were not up to your standards. I have already addressed this concern with the staff and have been actively working on enhancing out breakfast bar's visual appeal and food options. I am truly sadden to hear that the room did not also meet your expectations. I am working with our housekeeping staff to improve quality of work and ways to enhance our rooms. Your feelings are heard loud and clear. I want all of our guests to have a wonderful, relaxing, and fun stay. I can tell this was not the case with you.
If you would like to further express your concerns, please, do not hesitate to reach out to us. I do not enjoy seeing reviews like yours but always appreciate a chance to look at what we are doing and how we can make our hotel better.
Thank you again for choosing to stay at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel!

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The reviews speak for themselves. I just should have listened. I slept fully clothed and on top of the sheets. I refused to take off my shoes on the filthy sticky carpet. The sheets were itchy and stiff. The bathroom was scary and the tub was dirty. There were stains on the balcony of the previous guests wine spills. The place felt of a bad spring break spot. The pool was nothing I'd jump into. On the plus side, it's on the ocean. You can rent an umbrella and chairs for cheap. The front desk staff is kind and informative. Back to the issues, the owner/manager should be ashamed. To charge that amount and to provide those accommodations is ludicrous. They need to put some amount of money back into the hotel! It's really THAT bad. Thank goodness we didn't request the second night at upwards of $370. I would have lost it! Travelers beware.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank SanDee V

Thanks for visiting us at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel and for taking the time to write a review!

It always weighs on me when our guest do not enjoy the time they spend with us. As the Assistant General Manager, your concerns are not taken lightly. Recently, we have partnered with our linen provider to purchase new bed linens and towels and revamped our housekeeping procedures and expectations. We are in the process of allocating funds to enhance all of aspects of the hotel. We want to increase our guest experience and your concerns are items that are on the top of our list.

I was very excited to see that you enjoyed our oceanfront location and the Front Desk staff did everything in their power to take care of you. Our staff here is passionate about what they do and take great pride and the well being of all who stay at our property.

I will always take time to hear from our guest. I want to hear about everyone's likes and dislikes. These reviews are one of the ways I know about our successes and shortcomings. If you would like, reach out to me and we can further discuss your stay and your thoughts of the property. I hope in time you will choose to stay at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel once more!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isle of Palms
Wyndham Garden Charleston Mount Pleasant
Belmond Charleston Place
Belmond Charleston Place
#13 of 61 in Charleston

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!