“Great Customer Service but horrible rooms”

The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Customer Service but horrible rooms”
Reviewed 22 February 2010

One good point, the customer service was great,,, We had a problem with the person that booked the room we traveled from Raleigh NC and they were almost an hour behind us so we needed to go ahead and check in, the staff was nice enough to confirm with the person over the phone that booked the room and let us check in while we waited for the rest of the crew.

But the rooms are horrible, this hotel is very very old and you can see it and smell it when you go in. They put us on the 2nd floor and we had a corner view of the water, you had to walk out on the balcony and look to your right to see the ocean. Useless to me...

I would not have stayed here at all, but I didn't book the rooms. The pictures are very misleading.. I think that is how the hotel looked when it was new...

In January of course it was slow season and I think we could have done far better for the 140.00 a night we were paying. The furniture was old, to give you an example of how old, they didn't even have sliding glass doors, they had balcony doors with shutters on them...

If you are looking for luxury and comfort then this is NOT the place. Of course there wasn't a flat screen, but they did offer wireless.. If that helps..

And that picture of that pool is not realistic.. it looked more like a baby pool and there was no way anyone in their right mind would get in there!!!

I see that management reads these reviews.. I would say shut down and remodel It will be expensive up front but should pay off in the end.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Islander084, Assistant General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2010
I want to start out by thanking this guest for their time in writing this review. I do regret to see that they were not happy with their accommodations. I would like to address some of the things mentioned. The guest described the partial view rooms just as we describe it to people that call and reserve directly with us. You do have to walk out onto the balcony, look to the right to see the beach, and that view also varies. We don't mislead people about the view. We do offer oceanfront rooms with a sliding glass door that leads out to your own private balcony with a full view of the ocean. We do have some rooms with flat screen TVs. We are replacing TVs as needed and they are being replaced with flat screens, so it will be a while before all the rooms have them. As far as our outdoor seasonal pool, it's not open for operation in January or any other cold month, so whatever usual upkeep there is when it is open, isn't so much carried out when it is closed, but we do keep the pool deck neat year round. I do apologize for their dissatisfaction in the size of the pool. I am however, happy to see that this guest experienced excellent customer service. I want to thank this guest again for their review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 10 February 2010

If you are traveling to the Charleston area, there is absolutely no other place to stay. This was the only hotel for my family and friends when I lived in the area, and after moving away, is the ONLY place I will stay when I return to visit. The hotel is one of only two (I wouldn't recommend the other one) on the entire island! It is perfectly situated OCEAN FRONT amidst the low-keyed beach front shopping, dining, and roof-top refreshment locales. The staff is made up of a select group of consummate professionals, virtually all of which have been there since the days when the hotel was the Holiday Inn. They continue to eagerly oblige any request to make my stay more comfortable, pleasurable, or memorable. With only three levels of guest rooms, the intimate setting lends itself to the old-time, family beach trip feel. My king ocean view room was immaculate, as usual. The high-end mattress and super soft coverings made for an easy 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep. :-) Oh, and another AWESOME feature to this hotel is the COMPLIMENTARY Wi-Fi and full continental breakfast!!! Of course, the parking is free, as well. Although there is no restaurant at the hotel itself, there are several delicious options within 100 yards, ranging from beach burgers and fries to fine seafood entrees. The beach is just outside the door, and downtown Charleston is literally only 10 minutes down the road at any time of day. It also has a pristine swimming pool with a great view of the beach that is open spring, summer, and fall. I can't say enough about this place, it really does HAVE IT ALL. One stay at the Palms is all it will take - you'll never go elsewhere!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank meghanegg
Islander084, Assistant General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2010
I am so delighted to read another wonderful review for our beautiful property on the beach. I am so happy that this guest was satisfied with their accommodations, service, location, and the dining. We take pride in our hotel, but more importantly in our guests. I have to admit I am very proud of my staff and apprecitate what this guest said about them. They are very hard working and attentive to our guests' needs. Any mistakes or issues brought to their attention are promptly taken care of. I want to thoroughly thank this guest for the time they took to write this wonderful review for us. We certainly are looking forward to serving their needs when they stay with us again, hopefully in the near future.
Taylors, SC
Reviewed 1 February 2010

Very pleased with our stay at the Palms Hotel in the Isle of Palms, SC. Hospitality was superb and the hotel was well kept. Staff was nice and spoke every time we saw a member. Beautiful place to stay even though it was in the Winter season. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Islander084, Assistant General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2010
We really appreciate the review of this guest. We are delighted that they enjoyed their accommodations. We are especially happy to see that they experienced the kind of customer service we, here at The Palms, take pride in. We want to thank this guest for their time in writing this review. We look forward to their return in the future.
Columbia
Reviewed 25 December 2009

This trip was a girls get away, and what a wonderful time we had. This was our first time staying at the Palms Hotel, but we have stayed on the isle of Palms many times. We will never stay any where else again. We had a spacious ocean frot room that was right on the water. The staff was so friendly and polite. The hotel was quiet and one of the cleanest beach front hotels we have ever stayed in. Their were bars and nice places to eat with in a block of the hotel. We can't wait to have another girls get away this Spring when everything starts to bloom. Many thanks to the Palms Hotel and their employees.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank odie2009
Islander084, Assistant General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2009
It is so nice to read another review of satisfied guests who loved their accommodations and the customer service they received. We look forward to the return of these guests in the spring. That is a nice time of year to visit, and they will be able to enjoy our clean beach even more because of the warmer weather. We, at The Palms, will be happy to welcome them back to our property.
Kingsport,Tn.
Reviewed 22 November 2009

We loved the great service we received from Jared, Steve, and staff. The continental breakfast includes biscuits and homemade saugage gravy and it is exceptionally clean.They have an elevator & luggage carts-very convenient. Although they do not have a restaurant, there are 2 restaurants next door. We loved the Banana Cabana[seafood burrito to die for]-courtyard dining in-season. On theolther side is Cocomo Joe,s, a rooftop bar/restaurant with weekend entertainment.The Palms is beachfront with a private walkway to the beach.Though it was the 1st wk of Nov,,the weather was in the 70,s and both the beach and the pool enjoy allday sun..Only 10 minutes to Charleston, making it very convenient. The rooms are small but efficient and very comfortable, and incl frig,microwave, ironing board,and hairdryer and awesome beds and towels.We will be back;hope to see you there!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Islander084, Assistant General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 24 November 2009
We really appreciate being able to read a review that indicates the type of service and product that we try to provide here at The Palms. We do provide the convenience of being located directly on the Atlantic Ocean and only 12 miles north of our beautiful historic city of Charleston. As this guest mentioned you will not be at a loss as to a place to eat. We are between restaurants and there are also other excellent restaurants on the island as well in the historic district of Charleston. I want to thank this guest for their comments and their much valued time in writing this review. We look forward to their future visit with us.
SC
Reviewed 22 November 2009

The WORST MATTRESSES we have ever attempted to sleep on. EVER! Neither of us slept at all and we were sore and aching the next morning from lying on these rock-hard, spring-less beds. There were other annoyances like the noise from the adjacent hall/mezzanine area, and the tiny size of the room, but all of that could have been dealt with if we could have gotten some sleep. We checked out after one night and relocated to a nearby Hampton Inn where the beds, by that point, felt like clouds. I was informed by The Palms staff that all the mattresses in the entire hotel are identical so ***BEWARE!!!***

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank onen10
It is unfortunate to read when a guest isn't satisfied with their accommodations. We can't realistically satisfy everyone that stays here. This incident is an example of that. If you read the review above this one, the guest commented that the beds were very comfortable. We, here at The Palms, have a hard working staff that tries their best to provide excellent customer service and a clean product. That is the best we can do, the rest is left up to personal preferences and that always varies. I want to thank this guest for the time they took to write this review. Their feedback was appreciated.

Travellers are raving about these Isle of Palms hotels

CT
Reviewed 19 November 2009

I was here with my spouse last year for a shorter visit. We had also been at Tybee Beach and Savannah,GA. This year we stayed a week at The Palm. We did have an ocean front room. I can not tell you about other rooms. There was a group from a college there which made a bit louder than last time. The hotel did the best they could. The rooms ocean front have a sliding door which looks right out to the ocean. Good size room,the ocean waves at night lulling me to sleep. ahhhhhhh
We did have an end room this year which brings you right next to Coconut Joe's Reggae Sunday or something like that. We were not in the room Friday and Saturday night till late. Saturday we were enjoying music at The Windjammer., It was there pre Hugo and built up again up high.. We have been in the area a few times.
The hotel was clean, the rooms taken care of ,the free breakfast was ok. My husband loves the biscuits and gravy. There is a pool. It was closed in October both times. There are a few places to eat, party or relax. Excellent breakfast place around the corner. I would stay there again, I would go there right now if I could. It is also good place to stay and see Charleston, the plantations and more

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Islander084, Assistant General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2009
I want to thank this guest for their review of our hotel. I am very happy to read that they found their accommodations clean. Our oceanfront rooms have their own private balconies that overlook the ocean, but as this guest mentioned, you can be lulled right to sleep just by leaving your sliding glass door open and letting the sound of the waves relax you. We certainly look forward to this guest's return and serving their needs in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isle of Palms
French Quarter
Harbourview Inn
Harbourview Inn
#5 of 61 in Charleston

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!