“THE place to stay in Charleston; location, value and service can't be beat!!!”

The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
Reviewed 13 October 2010

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this place!!!!!!!!! From calling last-minute for a reservation to asking for a little extra time at check-out, the staff accommodated my every whim. The service at this hotel is hands-down, the finest, most personalized, yet professional that you will ever experience. ANY request I made was met, not only with a smile, but with the impression that it was a priviledge to accommodate. Upon returning to my room, having forgotten my key inside, a passer-by staff member (who I later learned was already off the clock) INSISTED I relax in the breezeway while they run and create a new key. Upon her return, she asked if she could fill my ice bucket or get me some fresh towels! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Any, and I mean ANY other time I have had to ask for a replacement key at a hotel it has, at best, been met with an aire of inconvenience and condescention.
I found my room to be extremely clean, comfortable and inviting. The large, flat-panel television swiveled to be easily viewed in any part of the large room. The internet was lightning-fast and the dresser drawers were immaculate (pleasing, since I usually have to keep my belongings in my baggage because sooo many other establishments overlook this unseen detail). The table and chairs offered a great, roomy surface for eating breakfast brought up from the continental buffet (which, by the way, had my favorite - buscuits and sausage gravy!). The plush, pillow-top mattress and fresh pillows were heavenly! Oh, and another thing about the mattress - as I was pulling the sheet off of the bed looking for my earring, I noticed a tag that had a manufacture date of 05/2010 - loved knowing I was sleeping on a new mattress!
Another thing that was special about this place is they don't charge you for things that they don't have to!!! My husband and I travel alot, and we will not compromise location and service when we select hotels because we like for things to be effortless when we are away from the conveniences of home. In order to have the opportunity to travel as we do, it is equally important that we receive a good value for what we expect for our accommodations. During a recent trip to Atlanta, I found it very offensive that atop our $289/night room rate (which was fair, since the room was everything we had hoped/expected), we had a dining choice of $13/person continental or $26/ person full breakfast, $9.95/day internet charge (times 2 for my husband's laptop) and a $16/day required valet parking charge (in the fine print it did say we could park the car ourselves in the same garage for $10/day, but then one would have to walk the 6 blocks back to the hotel). I am aware that MANY other hotels in the Charleston/islands are operate on a similar premis. THE PALMS HOTEL HAS FREE WIRELESS HIGH-SPEED INTERNET, FREE PARKING YEAR ROUND, AND A MOST DELICIOUS DELUXE CONTINTENTAL BREAKFAST!!!!!!!!!!!! And one of it's greatest features is that it is located on the beach, not near the beach or across the street from the beach, but ON THE BEACH!
Speaking from the heart, you've GOT to experience this place...it is TRULY SPECIAL.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Islander084, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2010

I want to wholeheartedly thank this guest not only for this wonderful review, but for their continued business. I am so elated to read of them having another beautiful experience here at The Palms. We are proud to have a staff that is always looking to go above and beyond the call of duty to make our guests comfortable. We certainly look forward to this guest's return, and are eager to take care of their needs in the future.

Reviewed 7 October 2010

This hotel is not what we expected. When we arrived, we pulled into one of two parking spaces below the hotel with a sign warning us we would be towed if we parked in the space more than 15 minutes. We quickly checked in and went to our room to inspect it before bringing up our luggage. The room had a very strong musty/moldy smell, mold was growing on the bathroom ceiling, and on the balcony there was a plastic cup filled with cigarette butts. This seemed odd as we had just signed a form at check in promising not to smoke on the property. (We are not smokers.) We returned to registration to report these problems and were given keys to another room. This room smelled like it had been Febrezed heavily, there was far less mold on the bathroom ceiling but noticeable rust instead. The partial view balcony had a nice view of the beach/ocean but also was over the outdoor eating area for a restaurant that plays music until 11 pm. The balcony would have been enjoyable, but there was rust around the window, the surface on the concrete floor was scraped up and dirty, and there was a strong smell of mold coming from the air conditioning unit. Running the AC made the room smell even worse and by evening the Febreze had worn off and the musty/mildewy smell was almost overwhelming. The double beds were comfortable but too small for my husband and I to sleep in the same bed. (We were celebrating our anniversay) Breakfast selections were minimal. Fresh fruit would have been nice. By far this is the worse hotel I have ever stayed in. The entire property is in bad shape and smells bad... rooms, common areas, stairways. The only plus is its location on the beach and the shops and restaurants surorunding it. I would not stay at The Palms again even if it was free!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank reader51
Islander084, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2010

I do appreciate the feedback provided by this guest. It is unfortunate that they felt that their stay at our property was the worst they've ever experienced. That is certainly not the type of feedback we are accustomed to hearing. To just clarify a couple of things, we are a nonsmoking property, as we don't allow smoking in the guest rooms or any of the common areas, such as the hallways, stairwells, or the elevator. Guests are permitted to smoke on their private balconies as long as the door to the room is closed. Also this guest mentioned having to sleep in two double beds. I am assuming that they made their reservations by some other means than calling us directly. By making a reservation on our website or by a third party, guests are not guaranteed the bed type, so when we receive their reservation, they are put in the bed type that we have available. Of course, anyone that makes their reservation directly with us, will be aware of the bed type they have before they arrive. The comments of this guest was shared with the entire staff, especially the maintenance and housekeeping departments. We are already in the process of making improvements to our property, but comments like this motivates us even more. I want to thank this guest again for their time and their feedback.

Reviewed 7 October 2010

Hotel has a great location with a very friendly staft. Questions were answered quickly. The breakfast was very good and I would highly recomend this hotel. My email address is safleyc@yahoo.com.

• Stayed: October 2010

It is wonderful to read another good review for The Palms Hotel. I am happy to read that this guest found the staff to be friendly and prompt with their assistance. Everyone here works really hard to make our guests feel at home. I want to thank this guest for their review, and we hope to see them again soon.

Reviewed 3 October 2010

Upon our arrival I was delighted to open the door to such a charming room..... clean, with lovely furnishings, a nice flat screen TV and plenty of linens. I really liked the beautiful tile floors throughout the hotel. The staff was exceptionally nice and seemingly willing to do all they could to make our stay a pleasurable one. The location was beautiful ....on the oceanfront with a few restaurants and shops nearby. It was such a great getaway and I hope to go back again very soon.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

I am delighted that this guest was satisfied with the location, accomodations, and the staff. We are excited about the gradual conversion to flat screen televisions. We don't have them in all the guest rooms yet, but we are changing them out as needed. It is a nice touch. The tile floors are nice and makes for easy upkeep. We certainly look forward to this guests return, and we appreciate the time they took to write this review.

Reviewed 1 October 2010

This hotel has a great location in Isle of Palms and has affordable rates. Unfortunately we found the hotel (and our room in particular) to not be very clean. A dead palmetto bug was left on our floor, much of the room has not seen a vacuum or duster in some time and most ominously...a lot of mold/mildew was growing in the bathroom...a lot. The whole room (and some of the stairwells of the hotel) reeked of mildew. I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

We are not happy to read of this guest's dissatisfaction. Unfortunately mold/mildew is something most beach front properties have to contend with. We had a lot of heavy rain last month and that doesn't help matters either. We have steps that we take to fight the problem, and it is implemented quickly. I do want to apologize for the palmetto bug, they are common in the lowcountry as well, especially after a good rain. We do have a regular pest control regimen, that would explain it being dead, but it should have been removed. I do appreciate this guest giving us feedback.

Reviewed 1 October 2010

My stay started with a pleasant and professional greeting at the front desk and ended with a friendly, see you again soon... The staff was polite and seemed to be sincerely interested in my comfort and convenience during my stay. The location is second to none; on the beach, ocean views, and several eclectic, indigenous restaurants, all within walking distance of the hotel...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

I really appreciate the review of this guest. I am especially proud of the way he was greeted upon arrival and upon his departure. That is indicative of the type of service the staff works really hard to provide. I am glad that this guest experienced that, and we look forward to serving his needs in the future.

Reviewed 30 September 2010

We booked The Palms Hotel as our honeymoon spot 4 months before our wedding. When we checked in to what we were expecting to match the online photos turned out to be a DUMP. They put us in an end room next to a bar that stays open with a band on the terrace. When we walked in the room to put our stuff away, there was a cheap hanging bar about 3 feet off the ground, no where to hang things where they wouldnt touch the dirty floor. The carpet looked dingy and old. The furniture looked like a collection of thrift store finds. The couch was disgusting with spots and stains. To top it all off, when we pulled the sheets back there was no fitted sheet and the bed was WET WITH PEE!! We left immediately, this hotel is horrible!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank crscott
Islander084, General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2010

Congratulations on your recent marriage!
I am shocked to hear about your experience at the Palms Hotel. I am
extremely embarrassed to hear about the linens on the bed. I do not know
how that could of happened, all check outs get new linens and of our linens
are out sourced to a professional cleaning service. I apologize for the
condition of your linens.
When we received your reservation, we saw your notes about the honeymoon,
but we did not have a king bed available. So the clerk placed you into a
single queen oceanfront and put a request for a king oceanfront if someone
were to have cancelled. We only have one queen oceanfront room and it is
handicap accessible (this is why your bar for clothes was so low to the
ground, and only in the one corner location). Our carpets are barely one
year old and are on a regular scheduled cleaning regiment. The furniture is
slightly dated and we are looking into upgrading the furniture soon. Being
that the hotel is located in the commercial district of Isle of Palms and
that it was a holiday weekend there is live music in the air from
neighboring restaurants (which most guests really enjoy). I hate that we did
not have another room to move you to, as we would have gladly done that. I
see that you were not charged for your stay, and would not want anyone to
pay for accommodations that they are satisfied with. Again I apologize for
your hotel experience on your honeymoon. Thanks for letting us know about
your stay.

Tides Folly Beach
Tides Folly Beach
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
Homewood Suites Charleston - Mt Pleasant
Homewood Suites Charleston - Mt ...
#11 of 25 in Mount Pleasant
Hampton Inn and Suites Charleston/Mt. Pleasant-Isle Of Palms

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!