“Fantastic Room”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Canton, Georgia
“Fantastic Room”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We loved the room (for my husband to comment on it, trust me -it was Great)!!
The room included a stove top, microwave and a mini-fridge which is
"a must" for us to save money on some meals. Very pleasant staff. I enjoyed the
business center -personal computers and fitness center. The area
was safe and beautifully landscaped. Walking distance to the beach (300ft.) and a
few minutes to drive to near-by tourist attractions. (Price-line came through on us
again)!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I have stayed at Wild Dunes with friends and family for over 10 years. In the beginning, it was wonderful - very clean, worth the price, beautiful beach. HOWEVER, the biggest issue is dirt. It has become one of the dirtiest resorts but the price tag is still very high! I have no complaints about the beach towel policy, the beach umbrella price, the food quality, or the views. However, the room we were given smelled horrible. For over $350 a night, I would have NOT expected a musty, mildew smell and filthy carpets. The pool at the inn was also dirty, with foamy residue on the water.

The wireless internet in the room only worked in a small space near the wall, about 2-3 feet in diameter, where there was no desk and only one chair. When i called to report it, the desk clerk copped an attitude and basically told me that the internet worked in the lobby - why didn't I go sit there???!? Seriously??? They finally sent a tech who shrugged and said he had no clue why it wasn't working anywhere else - oh well!

ALSO, upon check-in, when I cheerfully asked if any of my requested room upgrades were available, the desk manager was extremely nasty and informed me that "with the current occupancy level, NO upgrades was available." OK, but why the vicious, snotty attitude?

If I was at the Hampton Inn at the airport, I would've shrugged off all this, but not at the amount of money I was paying. Overall, this place has gone downhill and management has NO intention of fixing the problems. I suggest staying elsewhere. Sadly, I have made plans to meet girl friends next week here as they booked a condo - not sure I want to go.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CCHSChemTeacher
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Charleston and spent two nights at the Boardwalk Inn at Wild Dunes Resort. We had spent a few nights in downtown Charleston and were looking for a couple days of just relaxing. Upon our arrival we were greeted by complimentary valet and bellhop service and at check-in were informed a $50 dining credit was added to our account. We had also been upgraded to a room with a balcony.
The resort itself would seem to appeal to mostly couples and families. Definitely not a place with a singles scene or lots of twenty-somethings. There is a ton to do or you can do nothing at all. The other accommodation option is the Villages which I believe are more suites with kitchenettes etc...for larger groups or families. This area also includes the fitness center which had modern equipment and was well maintained. There is also a salon and spa as well as a market for snacks, coffee, beer, wine, and gift items.

Our room was clean and spacious and well decorated with a fridge.

Within the Boardwalk inn is one pool that has two sides, one which is designated for adults only, which was nice since we were there without our kids. There is also the option of two other pools that are on either side of the Grand Pavillion where you can order food like wraps, sandwiches etc... and a bar. The food was decent for a lunch or early dinner and not horribly overpriced, but on par with most hotels. This area sits up against the beach so its great scenery to lounge and cool off if you don't feel like dealing with the sand, or you can simply walk out to the beach. There is no waiter services for drinks or food, which would be a nice touch but it wasn't a big deal to get drinks or food and there were no long lines etc...

I've read a few reviews that maybe a makeover is in order. While its not brand new, I did think it was well-maintained and doesn't at all give you a feeling of it being worn down or outdated.
Feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Ontario, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2011

It was July and it was hot and humid. Our very comfortable condo was right adjacent to one of the pools as well as the beach. The breeze at the beach made the heat not so much an issue. The beach is very nice. Great waves and shells. Good sand. A nice walk north takes you around an inlet where we saw dolphins every day. The golf course looked great but we didn't golf as we traveled on motorcycle to the resort. That's where the displeasure was. After traveling 1200 miles, we were told that motorcycles aren't allowed on site. No exceptions. We wound up parking in a general lot 1.5 miles from our condo. The resort provided transport, but the tips there added another $80 to the already very expensive week's stay. And it curtailed our plans to go running about the city. The restaurants on site were good and in Charleston, there are so many. You must try Hominy Grill and Gullahs if you want to experience real southern food. Been on Food Network a couple times. No where on Wild Dunes website or in any communcation was there notice of the motorcycle policy. Three other bikes showed up while we were there and met the same fate. The parking spot is NOT guaranteed. There are maybe 6 spaces and if you drive away, you could come back wondering where you will leave your bike. That part was unacceptable.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ssparkd
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We spent 4 days/5 nights in the Villages in a two bed/two bath family suite. The room was wonderful and kept very clean. It has a full kitchen and all the plates, utensils, pans, etc. We did not cook but did buy items at the local grocery to keep in the room. We loved the set up of our room. The kids had their own space and we could relax and watch TV in either the living room area or our bedroom while they went to sleep. We rented through the resort and not a private owner. I read some bad reviews on here before we left about dirty rooms, etc. I have to believe that these were people who rented through private owners -- our room was always immaculate.

The kids enjoyed the beach the most -- lots of shells to collect. The pools are a little small but worked fine for my kids. We did the breakfast buffet at the Sea Island Grille a few times and enjoyed it plus room service which was great. We had one dinner at the Lettered Olive -- it was fine but not exceptional. Everything is very kid friendly. The resort is also close enough that we were able to drive in and spend some fun time in Charleston. We also highly recommend a local restaurant on the Isle of Palms called the Boathouse at Breach Inlet -- very casual and good for kids but awesome food.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Westlake Village, CA
Reviewed 18 July 2011

My wife and I, along with two 14-yr olds and two 11-year olds, just spent 8 nights at Wild Dunes Resort. We're not the typical traveler for South Carolina, as we live in Southern California and typically take our family vacations in Hawaii, Mexico, and the Caribbean. However, on the advice of our neighbors we booked Wild Dunes for this year's summer vacation. Before describing our trip, I'll repeat - WE WISH WE WOULD HAVE FOUND THIS PLACE 10 YEARS AGO! Yes, that good.
Knowing practically nothing about Wild Dunes Resort we booked a 3 bedroom condo in the Village Gardens. It could not have been nicer. Clean, well decorated, kitchen stocked with all necessary "kitchen stuff", except for food. One trip to the market took care of that though. Daily maid service was terrific, even cleaning the kitchen (plates, dishes, pots & pans) and filling and running the dishwasher. All 3 bedrooms had nice (working) flat screens and their own bathrooms with shower (working). The A/C in the unit worked perfectly. We had a very warm week, but the A/C never failed.
From check-in to check-out the entire staff was excellent. From the office staff, to the waiters, to the staff handing out beach towels - all were professional and courteous.
Our vacations usually are of the "Four Seasons" type. If that's what you're looking for, this is not the place. It's better! I promise. It's not as fancy as a 5-star resort, but it's not too much below one either. It has ALL the amenities of the glitzier resorts, but not at the same glitzy prices. No, your stay at Wild Dunes will not be cheap, but whatever you spend will be well worth it. Yes, I promise - it's that good. Are their restaurants amazing? No. But they're fine and not overpriced. Onsite they have food for everyone - a little more formal at the Boardwalk Inn, family oriented at the Lettered Olive, a nice little onsite store for snacks and sandwiches, a small deli with great breakfast and lunch food, and a great snack bar for the pool/beach area.
But the best part about this trip was the "vibe". Not a big fan of that description, but it seems to fit. The southern hospitality we had heard so much about was all true. Again, the staff couldn't have been nicer and friendlier. Our family had never been to Charleston before last week. It's a short 25 minute drive from Wild Dunes to downtown Charleston. Have never been to a more charming city than Charleston. Great shopping, great restaurants, incredible sightseeing, and great bars/pubs.
I could go on and on about Wild Dunes Resort and the city of Charleston, but you get the idea. Great vacation. Don't miss it!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank smrk4
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We stayed in an excellent suite which lacked for nothing. The staff were friendly and efficient from arrival to departure. The pools were not crowded, and the bar/restaurant at the end of the boardwalk was great for chilling with babies as well as oldies. The only problem was the appalling quality of my golf on the fabulous golf course. Well done Wild Dunes.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Harbourview Inn
Harbourview Inn
#5 of 61 in Charleston
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,982 reviews

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!