Wild Dunes Resort
The Palms Oceanfront Hotel(Isle of Palms)(Great Value!)
US$202
  • Breakfast included
Seaside Inn(Isle of Palms)
US$194
US$182
  • Breakfast included
Homewood Suites Charleston - Mt Pleasant(Mount Pleasant)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$163
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Palms Connector(Mount Pleasant)(Great Value!)
US$138
ComfortSuites
Residence Inn Charleston Mt. Pleasant(Mount Pleasant)(Great Value!)
US$192
US$205
US$181
US$144
HIExpress.com
TownePlace Suites Charleston Mt. Pleasant(Mount Pleasant)(Great Value!)
US$172
Ocean Inn(Isle of Palms)
4,371 results
All reviewsboardwalk inngrand pavilioncoastal provisionshudson's marketlettered olivetennis courtsfamily vacationbike rentalsoff seasonsullivan's islandcharleston areabeach chairsspring breakocean viewsouth carolinabedroom condofull kitchen
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 August 2011

So, perhaps we just had bad luck with the people we dealt with and the room we were given, but over all we were not happy at Wild Dunes. First, we checked in they did not have the exact room type I had asked for at booking. I booked a 2 Bedroom Village Suite - Resort View. At booking I asked specifically for a king in one bedroom and two twins in the other for the kids. I was assured that it would not be an issue at all. Well, at check in we were given 2 bedrooms with a king in each room. The man who checked us in acted like we should not care, that we "technically" were getting what we booked (2 bedrooms) and that there was nothing he could do about it. Well, judging from the emptiness of the resort, I am sure that there was something he could have done but didn't. So...on we went to our suite and my son now needed to sleep every night on the sofa bed. Now - for the view. There was construction noise and dust we needed to deal with every day from 8:30 am till atleast 4 or 5 every afternoon. It was horrible! There were literally right below our balcony ripping us the sidewalk that we now couldn't use and starring at me when I would try to sit on the balcony. Awful! Again - I was told that there was no where to move us.I was given a 20% discount on the overall bill but was not given any warning of this issue before going to the room. I really think it should have been more considering how the situation was so disruptive to our vacation. In addition, the staff at the front desk and food areas tended to be young, unresponsive and generally lacked knowledge and attentiveness. The main pool area was packed, loud and obnoxious since it serves ALL guests and the nice, quiet pool area you see on the internet is ONLY for those staying at the Boardwalk Inn. Forget the fact that you just paid as much per night as those guests, you still have to use the pool the villa renters use. We were there the week leading up to Memorial Day weekend and were treated like it was the middle of winter. The Ice cream place and beach store closed at 5pm, the pool restaurant closed soon after. The lap pool was "closed" to guests while we were there because the resort has a swim team that uses it to practice. We actually saw teenage employees at the end of their shift peel out of the lap pool area in a pick up truck and speed out of the complex totally oblivious to the fact that we were about to cross the street. I had to pull my son back quickly so he wouldnt be hit. All in all - the place is very out of the way, at the end of the island with nothing else for miles. You are basically stuck there paying their prices for food/drinks/recreation unless you want to either really plan ahead or drive miles off the resort to find a restaurant or grocery store. FYI - The main gate is the only way we could get in after a certain hour (early), another fact that the inadequate staff failed to mention to us. We will not return under any circumstance.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
13  Thank cindylou75
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We will definitely return to Wild Dunes in the future. This was our second stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I recently stayed at the Village Inn with my family of four, and grandparets in a 2 bedroom suite. Great size room, plenty of space and nice balconies! Great location on the site, close to pool, all restaurants, beach, spa, everything! We ate out each night and our favorite was at Morgan Creek Grill! Super close to the resort and such a nice view!! The food and ambience was also great!!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This resort was a collection of homes, condos, and duplexes. Ours said ocean view, but only if I were to stand on a chair and lean to the left a little - then maybe I could see it out of the corner of my view. We wanted a king, and got a Queen. There was little room to argue, but they did not seem booked. For $205 or so a night, I would give me what I asked for. The whole resort is contained and has activities all year with bicycle rentals, golf, and there is a nearby public beach that is really great. The food was very expensive, but looked good. The best part was that since we had a condo type suite, we had a full kitchen to make whatever we wanted. There is a small grocery on site, with gourmet snacks and such too. If our unit were a home in a metro city, it would have been in a $400,000 home. The cabinetry was high quality, with granite throughout. The bathroom was big enough to hold a social in, and all the basics plus a few were provided. The complex is nice to walk on at night, but there were loads of loud kids running the halls and streets at night as well. Ours were loud, but not as loud as the other many unsupervised kids. We liked it, and the people were friendly. Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My best friend and I take a vacation together every year to get away from our life commitments. Between the two of us, we have travel fairly extensively. We decided to go to to the barrier islands as the result of a series of books we read about the Low Country, Isle of Palms, and Sullivans Island. One of the authors recommended Wild Dunes to us so we decided to book into The Boardwalk Inn, since we did not need anything as large as the villas.

Upon arrival, we pulled up to the lovely Boardwalk Inn, only to be told we were re-booked into The Villages because we needed two bed. I had emailed the request over 10 days before arrival. We were told by the person at check-in that those rooms were larger and newer. I was concerned, but went with it. The Villages had nice rooms, but that's where it ended. They put us in a ground floor room, no pool other than the "community" pools that were a LONG walk out to the Grand Pavilion), no lobby, no balcony or windows that even opened, on a hallway that had doors to the back of shops, overlooked a parking spot for employees. For what we were paying, I expected a LOT more! I couldn't get ANY cell phone reception (was told by the front desk it was my carrier and that no where on the property would it be better), and spotty wifi at best.

The walk to the ocean was abysmal. We had to either walk through the garage or down a long mall, then cross a street, go past the private pool for the Boardwalk guests, and down the boardwalk past the tightly packed villas. The villas I could handle, the street walk and having to walk past the pool of the place we were supposed to be at was not something I was enjoying.

After 2 night at The Villages, I complained... again. They did find us a room after all at The Boardwalk, but we waited in our room for 2 1/2 hours while they worked on in. That's where things changed dramatically. They sent us a bellhop to move our bags, put us on the 3rd floor facing north, but it had a balcony where we could sit and see the ocean. We had a lovely lobby that gleamed and an amazing quiet pool. And I got perfect cell reception and wifi connections.

The final two nights were just lovely. Ice cream from Duney's while sitting in the Grand Pavilion was lovely. We did buy one breakfast from The Market at The Villages, but there were far too many good restaurants on the island, over on Sullivans, and at Shem Creek that we just never ate on the property.

I would recommend Wild Dunes to families with kids who want to rent a villa or The Boardwalk Inn for anyone who doesn't want to housekeep on vacation. Isle of Palms is small, but lovely. The ride to Charleston ands sights beyond isn't too difficult.

Room Tip: Call early after making your reservation if you want a specific bed arrangement.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends