“Second time dirty and broken”
Review of Wild Dunes Resort

Wild Dunes Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Second time dirty and broken”
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed last year, most things where broken and house was dirty, bugs and problems. It was so bad island realty gave us a free weekend this year. This was worse, condo was filthy, unmaintained, oven rusted out, broken couch. Lip service from staff. Love the beach but would never ever return here.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ReeveC
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear ReeveC,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that you have had two lacking experiences with accommodations here on Isle of Palms. While Wild Dunes manages several vacation condominiums and houses here on the island under our vacation rental program, we are not the sole vacation rental provider servicing the island. I clarify this because the rental provider you mentioned in your review is not associated with Wild Dunes Resort. I can assure you that Wild Dunes Property Management aims to provide a high standard of cleanliness and maintenance for our rental units and amenities to make our guests’ stays as comfortable as possible. I invite you to reach out to me directly at ffredericks@destinationhotels.com if you have any questions concerning Wild Dunes Resort’s rental program.

Regards,
Frank Fredericks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Had to go for several tests at the University on Mon. We were from out of town so decided to make a weekend distraction. The grounds were beautiful. The beds could have been a little more plushy. Valet parking is not very good but overall everything was very nice.

Room Tip: Avoid room over air conditioner.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank krashzmom
Moyock, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed in the village this time, and they put us in the village gardens. Had never stayed in that section before; it was so quiet and peaceful. The entire staff is warm and friendly and cannot seem to do enough for their guests. I just love this place!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Hello Amykens,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughtful review and love of Wild Dunes Resort! It’s fantastic to hear that you are grateful of our staff’s friendliness and our commitment to going above and beyond for our guests. We hope it’s not too long before we welcome you back again!

Kind regards,
New York
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I went there this weekend for a wedding. I booked the Hotel based on my fellow Trip advisor comments. It is a nice enough property. I thought it was too big and is too far from Charleston. (I understand this is subjective)
However, what is not subjective is the undeniable unprofessionalism of management. Whilst the staff was really trying to be accommodating and friendly, management was not. Case in point:
We came for breakfast on Sunday at 10.33 am and were told that breakfast was over at 10.30, so - no eggs for us.
The wedding was at a place called "Citadel" and management did not allow the shuttle to bring us there on Friday night. Only the helpful attitude of the driver solved the dilemma.
I believe that a Hotel should be guest centric, after all management is there for the guests and not the other way around. I felt that this place was run like army barracks. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tom180
Dear Tom,

I appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay. I apologize that your visit was unsatisfactory and that you felt our attention was anything but focused on you, our guest, and I wholeheartedly apologize for that as this does not meet our guest service standards of delivering exceptional experiences. Our Resort team strives to assist our guests in any way they can, and I’m sincerely disappointed to hear that we failed to do this for you. Trust that I am sharing your review with our leadership, food and beverage and guest service teams so that we may improve in the future. I invite you to reach out to me directly at ffredericks@destinationhotels.com if you would like to further discuss specifics from your stay.

Regards,
Preston, Maryland
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Recently stayed three nights at the Wild Dunes Resort in a one bedroom condo unit. I was there for a business seminar and my husband accompanied me. The condo was an oceanview unit and was lovely. The furnishings, the screened balcony, all was wonderful. The kitchen is definitely small but we didn't use it too often. Had we been staying for a vacation and would have been cooking, the small size (room for one person, not even room to pass another person) would have created some annoyance. Since the weather took a turn for the worse while we were there, my husband was pretty much stuck in the condo but, because of the wifi in the unit, he was not entirely unhappy about it. We were in a second floor unit and could hear people moving about and the scraping of chair legs but it wasn't too bad as they did not make noise at night.
The meeting venue was outstanding. The meeting rooms were beautiful and comfortable and the food was good.

Green Features: Love that Wild Dunes is environmentally aware! The housekeeper did try to collect dirty towels the first day, but my husband told her they weren't dirty. She left more clean towels! Loved the natural bath products provided although kitchen and laundry supplies are not.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Our 4 night stay during the off season month of Oct. was perfect.About a 45 min easy highway drive from Charleston Airport. The room we had was a jr. suite with a full kitchen and balcony overlooking the pedestrian pathway to the shops which was okay but I would not want that in the busier seasons. I thought I left my purse at a restaurant on the resort. The village ambassadors, restaurant manager went to extreme lenghts to help locate it which i realized was in the hotel room closet. The spa offered the usual services done very well with special attention to a quiet relaxing environment and very helpful staff. We rented bikes to ride the 6 miles on flat road to Sullivans isaland for a wonderful authentic tao lunch on the patio. Numerous small restaurants,great cafes up and down the main road.

Room Tip: not in the plaza area where the rooms are on the main pedestrian walkway
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Claudia,

First off, I am truly glad we were able to locate and return your missing purse! I’m grateful you reached out to our staff notifying them of your lost item so that they were able to find it. I look forward to sharing your appreciative words with our Resort ambassadors and restaurant manager. Additionally, I want to thank you for sharing the certain things you enjoyed most during your four-night stay at Wild Dunes Resort. It’s wonderful to hear you had time for a leisurely bike ride around the island – that’s lovely to do this time of year! Likewise, I’m happy to hear you enjoyed rest and relaxation at our Sand and Sea Salon and Spa. I appreciate your comments on the spa staff’s attention to detail and will be sure to pass those along to our Spa Manager and her team as well. We look forward to welcoming you back to Wild Dunes Resort in the future.

Best wishes,
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

A variety of accommodations and venues for meetings. Property was very well maintained and entire staff was attentive and polite.
Quick service breakfast staff at Dunes Deli was fast and breakfast was great. A variety of dining options is very appreciated when spending several days within the property.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Emily,

Thank you for sharing this pleasant review of your recent meeting experience at Wild Dunes Resort. It’s wonderful to read that our accommodations and meeting venues were to your liking, as well as the Resort’s overall maintenance and customer service. Likewise, I’m delighted to hear that you were satisfied and appreciative of our many Resort restaurants and menu options. A quick and enjoyable breakfast is a must before a long day of meetings, and it seems that Dunes Deli hit the spot! I’ll be sure to pass along your kind remarks to our team here as well to reinforce and congratulate on a job well done. Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to recommend Wild Dunes Resort in Charleston, SC for business meetings. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future – be it for business or pleasure!

Warm regards,
#2 of 61 in Charleston
Market Pavilion Hotel
Market Pavilion Hotel
#9 of 61 in Charleston

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!