“Fantastic resort with many activities”
Review of Wild Dunes Resort

Wild Dunes Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We spent our family vacation here over the 4th of July week. With twin 17 years olds we enjoyed all that the resort had to offer - tennis (always a court available), golf, biking, beach and Charleston. I read all the reviews before booking and wasn't sure what to expect as some complained about service. But, any concerns we had were quickly and efficiently addressed. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa in the Village, which is right next to the hotel. This was great as it offered the convenience of a deli, restaurant, spa and fitness center on the main level. Walking was short distance to the beach and plenty of pools to choose from. I would recommend taking your own bikes if you can. There are bike racks in the underground garage where you can lock them and easily get to. Renting can get expensive if you want them for the week. I did indulge in having 4 chairs & 2 umbrellas setup for us each day - but at $80/day for all that it got pricey - next time maybe have the kids lug their own chairs & get 1 umbrella!! Tennis facilities are great and my daughter even took some lessons that she really enjoyed. There was always a court open.
Since we drove from NJ and had our car, getting to a food store was easy and Charleston maybe 25 min away if that. But was a quick ride and we went several times to tour and eat dinner. On the way, I would highly recommend a homemade ice cream shop on 17 called Y Old Ice Cream in Mt Pleasant. A great homemade type breakfast is Sea biscuit Cafe - nothing fancy but best breakfast - crowded so get there early. We went on a rainy day at 11 and was seated by 12. As long as name is on list by 11 (I think) you can still order breakfast at 12. Bring CASH - no credit cards.
The ocean is perfect for little ones, wish I took my twins when they were little. (we spent many years going to Outer Banks & love it there too) All the little sand bars and pools of water are great to keep the little ones cool and busy. The ocean was clean, beach wide and waves perfect. As you walk further north there are sandbags, so if you are looking at condos, you may want to consider if you mind looking at that. The hotel beach is fine though.
If you are looking for a great beach, tennis, golf, trails, cleanliness and one of the loveliest cities, you won't be disappointed. Our weather was great too, something you can't plan, but we lucked out as Hurricane Arthur stayed north and didn't effect our stay. YAY - even though I did purchase travel insurance which I would recommend also.

Room Tip: Only a few have some ocean views, so you can request, but no guarantee.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,218)

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Where else can you combine a traditional family beach vacation with great and accessible on-site championship golf and tennis, while being 10 minutes from countless dining options on Sullivan's Island and Mt. Pleasant and only 20 minutes from one of the most interesting, historic and fun cites in the world? We discovered Wild Dunes in its formative stages 30 years ago and my kids have grown up anticipating their summer vacation here from Pennsylvania - even to this day - when those that are working and with limited vacation will fly in for three or four days of a week-long family vacation just to grab some more memories. As little kids they regaled in all the resort's kids' activities and now as young adults they still can't wait to hit the Grand Pavilion for drinks and family dancing. Jet-skiing with the Tidal Wave folks, crabbing excursions to Capers Island with Barrier Island Eco Tours - right out of the marina adjacent to the resort. You do have to be thoughtful about where you stay - the Boardwalk Inn hotel and newer Villages condos provide a great "downtown" for the resort and are perfect if you want to be in the busy center.. We prefer to stay in the villas on the beach a little further away - more private and less crowded beaches, more intimate pools, but still an easy walk to the "action". You have to do some research, though - villas are privately owned are really vary in condition. My advice is to not get to hung up on whether your villa has granite countertops or not. Maybe you end up in 3 star accommodations, but the resort and its amenities are a full 4 star and and Charleston's East Islands (which are far more convenient to town than the lovely Kiawah and Seabrook - 20 minutes vs 50 minutes), when coupled with Charleston provide a 5 star vacation experience

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank pkrajsa
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Storming raining and no covered area to checkin. Have to find an illegal spot to park in, walk in the rain to find the guest services/checkin office. Valet in covered garage is free but you have to wait for the solo valet working to MAYBE help you with your luggage or let you get it yourself and then who knows where your car goes. Why not let you park your car in the garage yourself???
Once checked in at 4:45pm, arrive on floor to find housekeeping crew socializing and blocking the area to get off the elevator..no wonder checkin isn't until 4pm.
Then discover my "room upgrade with an ocean view" is actually two blocks from the ocean, just higher up in floor numbers.
Try The Lettered Olive for dinner. The staff was more interested in watching the golf tournament on tv than they were interested in waiting on guests. Ordered fish tacos, expected them to be soft tacos so was disappointed when they were actually hard tacos and NOT impressive at all. Two people came in to pick up to go orders while I was there and both orders were wrong. Power went off and it took 5 mins for tvs to reboot.
When returned to room there is a no signal message on room tv. So far wouldn't say staff is flat out rude but would say they are completely disinterested in whether guests enjoy their stay. Unimpressed thus far and it's only day one!!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed 6 nights at one of the village suites. The room was outstanding. Clean, well appointed, and just top notch. The resort is very nice, clean throughout, with many amenities.

We didn't dine at the resort restaurants, choosing to explore the dining options on the island and in Charleston instead, so no real input here. We spent some time each evening on the boardwalk, which our kids loved. The live entertainment varied from pretty good to.... special. I actually thought one guy with a guitar was part of a candid camera style prank, it was so bad.

The pools were very nice, and again everything was very clean.

Some of the guest services folks were extremely rude, but the majority were as friendly and helpful as could be. Mostly college-aged kids, with some more interested in their phones than their job. End old man rant here.

While we were overall impressed with the resort, it most definitely is NOT worth the money. The villas were not really close to anything else, making a beach trip a task for a family with young kids. So we ended up at the pool, mostly out of convenience. There is valet parking for resort guests, but still makes things a hassle getting in and out of the resort.

There are things to like about the Village, but this probably will be our last trip. Just can't justify the extra expense for what you get.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BennyMcDeuce
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This was our second stay at wild dunes.This is what we love about wild dunes resort/village condos..... Beautiful landscaped grounds, great service, very close to Charleston, housekeeping services everyday, towel service, fun activities( ping pong by pool, fire pit ), Americana boardwalk to pool.. We had a very memorable family vacation again!!
Only cons... Maybe some of the furniture in condos needs to be cleaned up.. And halls to rooms need some sprucing up! Just some thoughts...

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear DanaLou12,
Wonderful to hear of your memorable family vacation at Wild Dunes Resort! Thank you for sharing highlights from your return trip and recommending Wild Dunes Resort to fellow travelers. Also, thank you for providing valuable suggestions on in-room updates. Trust that I will share this with our leadership and innovation teams as we look toward areas of improvement in the year and years to come. We hope to welcome you back for a third stay soon!
Best wishes,
Frank Fredericks
Managing Director

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We spent 2 nights at this resort last week. The room we got was great, with a huge kitchen, a living room and a humongous bathroom. The only problem with this hotel is that a bunch of teenagers are running it. The girls at the front desk were not knowledgeable about their services. Upon chek-in, the girl asked me now I can go and tell the valet/bellboy to bring in my luggage. I asked her couldn't that be done by a just a phone call on her part. She looked at me and said yes, of course.
Upon check-out, this time by a different teenager, I was told to pay for the room. I told them the room had already been paid for in advance. The girl checked the computer and said that that was correct and that she was sorry. She then presented me with a closing bill that belonged to another guess.
I don't think I will be returning back. For a resort of this magnitude, they need to hire professionals to run it not kids looking for summer jobs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Tanya T,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m glad to hear that you found the accommodations to your liking. More importantly, however, please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointments you experienced with the service of our staff. Your concerns are entirely appropriate and such unsatisfactory service is unacceptable. This occurrence clearly demonstrates room for opportunity to better train new staff members and reinforce and test each member of our team on our customer service standards and quality service protocol. I appreciate your feedback as guest insight such as yours is invaluable and trust that I will share this with our Director of Operations and leadership teams so that we may improve moving forward. I invite you to reach out to me directly at ffredericks@destinationhotels.com if you have any further feedback you would like to share with our team.
Regards,
Frank Fredericks
Managing Director

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Best vacation resort in South Carolina. We love it here and come back every year. Peaceful but LOTS of things to do! The beach is beautiful. The boardwalk fun. Awesome bike and running paths. Great activities!! Kids love the ice cream shop. Parents like the beach bar. Great place to vacation with family.

Stayed: August 2014
The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
#3 of 5 in Isle of Palms
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Palms Connector
Homewood Suites Charleston - Mt Pleasant
Homewood Suites Charleston - Mt ...
#11 of 25 in Mount Pleasant
Tides Folly Beach
Tides Folly Beach
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!