“Very nice but misleading....”
Review of Wild Dunes Resort

Wild Dunes Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 April 2009

My husband and I decided to "beach it" for a couple of days before heading into Charleston last month (March). I made reservations at the Boardwalk Inn on the telephone and asked if it was beachfront. Silly me -- I wasn't more specific. I was told the beach was approxinately 500 yards away from our room's balcony but that it was indeed beachfront. What I wasn't told was that there were rows and rows of houses between our balcony and the actual beach. We could barely catch a glimpse of the water through the houses. So much for our ocean view.

Our room was very nice and I loved the Aveda bath products. One strange thing though: there was a refrigerator in the room -- but it was locked! Since we didn't need it and were only staying 2 nights, we didn't ask about it, but we did find it odd. Why would you lock a refrigerator?

Other disappointments were that room service breakfast was so expensive! I'm used to staying at The French Quarter Inn in Charleston and their (room service) breakfast (always good) is included in the price of the room. FQI, and other Charleston establishments, also have afternoon wine and cheese spreads which is a treat. It would be nice if the Boardwalk did something similar. Even the hotel dining room was closed during this early season. Wild Dunes does not have many places to eat. We were not interested in leaving the grounds so we were very limited, especially when many things were closed due to the early season (middle of March). Basically we had the choice of a nice restaurant or a deli. That's all that was opened.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at Wild Dunes. The pools looked very nice (and CLEAN), the room's balcony was good to have and the bar on the beach served a killer Bloody Mary!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,218)

Reviewed 6 April 2009

we went to the Boardwalk Inn with the expectation of getting our money's worth, for the price this Inn is not work it. 2 weekends ago I stayed at the Bestwestern Downtown Charleston for half the price and well worth it! The bar was open till 1pm with normal drink prices..This hotel was double the price, but no better then the bestwestern. Trouble from the beginning. booked a double room, no smoking, went to our room, well it reeked of smoke so had to call management wait 10-15 mins they come "yep smells like smoke". duh didn't I already say this? ok wait here, we'll be back with different room key and u can move so 20 more mins we stand in this godawful smoke filled room, then we pack our things and move. well by this time we have driven 5hrs to get here and we are so exhausted we just forget the fact that the room was a downgrade with no adjustment to price. We ask for breakfast to be delivered to our room 6:30am-6:45 because we need to catch a shuttle bus at 7:10 for the big Copper River run we were in they call our room at 7am to say they just got our order...what?? we put the sign out at 10pm. ok so what ever we wait all the while praying we don't miss the shuttle. after a long day doing our run and getting back to the Inn we went to the bar to unwind only to be told they are closing at 10- 10 OCLOCK on a sat night can u believe it???? with over 35,000 extra people in town and they are closing the bar at 10 o'clock so they recommend we get in our car and drive to the south end of Isle of Palms to Windjammers that stays open til 2. Unbelieveable. they have no jacuzzi anywhere on the property to relax in, just the pool and the poolside bar closes at 7pm. What my girlfriend and I had planned as a nice weekend at a supposed wonderful resort turned into an EXPENSIVE NIGHTMARE. by the way be prepared 4 mixed drinks with tip at their bar RIP OFF costs us with tip around $40.00

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 March 2009

I have stayed at the Boardwalk Inn in the past and their overall service was good yet a little less than you might expect for the cost. In July of 2008 i satyed near the hotel in the Grand pavillion area. The place has changed over the years, for the worse. The pools at the hotel and the pavillion are absolutely filthy !!! It is obvious that with the addition of the Villages and the high rental rate that this resort has turned into an overcrowded mess. I have fond memories of the old Wild Dunes. It has changed.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2009

My wife and I just spent three days at WD and we had a great time and we look forward to returning. We stayed at the new Boardwalk Inn and it was very, very nice. Beautiful rooms, comfortable beds, free wifi and my wife loved the Aveda bath products. The valet and other hotel staff were gracious, polite and seemed geniunely interested in seeing that we had a good stay.

The secluded location is ideal for privacy but not so private that you feel isolated. Believe me - there's plenty to do. We were there in the off season - so things were probably more quiet than they would be in peak season but this place has it all. Two nice restaurants and a deli are on property. There's a bunch of shops in the main complex as well - along with a spa. Golf, tennis, bikes and a ton of organized family activities. This was a "kid-free" trip but next time we'll be back with kid's in tow.

We played golf at the Links course and were impressed with that as well. Very friendly staff and excellent course conditions. The seaside finishing holes have got got to be some of the prettiest I've played (and I played at Torrey Pines this summer...). 18 is closed for a short time due to some sort of beach erosion issue but we were told it would reopen soon. This is one of the perils of having "true" seaside holes...the sea actually comes into play everyonce and a while.

Overall - an excellent stay - lots to do - great location. As active as you want to be or as peaceful as you want it to be.

PS - if you go off property for a meal or two - I recommend The Wreck and The Sea Biscuit Cafe.

Cheers!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank TheCarolinaInn
Reviewed 24 March 2009

This is a lovely setting. We actually stayed at the Village which is just before the Boardwalk Inn on the property. The rooms were very nice-we got to see two. They checked us into the wrong room first! Oops! The bellman/valet was a great guy. The people at the front desk were a little confused as to what a 5 Star resort was supposed to be. They told the bellman when he called for the room assignment that we were in one room, and three minutes later checked me into a different room. I should have run at this point because it was down hill from there. After moving belongings from one room to another, we put our valuables in the safe ( be careful...it did not always lock). We went to dinner. No problems. The next moring we got up and took tennis lessons. They have a young man named Marvin who gave me one of the best lessons I have ever had. This was at about 8:30 am. We came back to the room at 9:20 am and the room had be made up. Amazing! Here is when it gets weird. I took my lap top with me, the bellman put it in fornt of a lamp on Friday...it was gone. Now; understand these are NOT large rooms-my computer was gone....YES gone. I know I had it because when we put it in the room we knocked the lampshade off of the lamp. It simply was not in the room. We looked. I had the car brought out, and looked there too. Again; not a really big vehicle...not there. We checked the room and the car more than once. I called Guest Services and no one turned in a computer. I went to the front desk-no one turned in a computer. When I suggested calling the police the staff told me that before they could call the Isle of Palms PD I had to talk to a manager.(?). Then the desk clerk called house keeping and asked them to look in our room , and the first room that they sent us to. Of course there was no compuer-DAH! The manager came out of his office with some computer type cords, walked past me and out the door. I waited approx. ten minutes, and called the PD. They are a Cracker Jack Police department! Thanks Guys!
The staff got very angry that I called the PD without the permisson of the manager on duty. Well...as you know our lives are in our computers. When the PD got there I asked the Great officer if there was a reason they did NOT want me to call the PD. In a round about way said that they prefered to look into crime in house. This is of course hampering with the Police. Anyway...we all went up to our room, and again looked for the computer. Four people in this room was a little tight. Oh yeah...no computer was found. This room was right accross from the maid's closet. HMM! The mangaer after 3 tries got a door reading monitor to work. That is what the cords were for when he marched past me. There was only 2 keys that had open our door. Remember the maid cleaned the room, and she was sent back to check the room for the computer. Her key only opened the door once. HMM? The manager asked the officer to not speek to the other key holder until he could talk with her. After we checked out the officer left, they callled hi back to speek with the other person who open our door. He asked us to stay in the area until he talked with her. We stayed. He called us back and of course she said she did not have the computer. This was now about 2 1/2 hours later. We left the area and headed back to Florida. I got a call at about 5:30 pm from the manage, and he stated that they had found my computer. (?). He stated that it was found in room #1. That the people that checked into that room found it and gave it to the night manager. He locked it in a manager's locker. Now come on guy! It was a computer in a briefcase w/ my business cards in the front pocket. He forgot to tell anyone he found it, but sent an email out about finding it before he left. NONE of the 3 managers, desk clerks, etc. read mail until after 5:00 pm. NO WAY! I called the PD and the oficer went back out to the resort, and spoke to a different manager who told him they found it in their restaurant. We ate dinner off property. Then on Monday when they called to give me a tracking number I asked the third manager 'where didi you find it?' and he stated that they found it at the fornt desk. Now how dumb are we. If they found it at the front desk in the evening how much brain power does it take to open it and see it belonged to someone they just checked in. DUH! Some thing is fishy on this beach! We spent 3 days in Charlottte, NC at a Hilton. I forgot to pick up about $45.00 off the desk in the morning...and guess what-it was still there in the evening as was my computer.
Beware...they do not speek the truth! Bright spot is the Police department-THEY ARE AWSOME!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tenniscowgirl
Aggie01, Director of Operations at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2009

I want to take the opportunity to personally apologize for the errors in customer service not only at check in, but regarding your personal property as well. Please know that our housekeeping and front desk/Manager on Duty teams have regrouped to trace the steps in gaps in communication that led to confusion and errors in judgment on our part and that we have found the source of the errors, adding training to our Standard Operating Procedures to ensure that this type of situation does not occur with future guests. Again, my sincerest apologies.

Brad Harvey
Director of Operations
Wild Dunes Resort

Reviewed 15 March 2009

My wife and I were here for 4 days, I had a conference for work.

Overall, the place is quite nice. Wild Dunes is a large gated community with 2 golf courses, many, many homes, an inn, spa, gym, conference center, tennis pavilion, 2 pools and an excellent beach.

Pros:
-great location, beautiful and peaceful yet a 20 min drive to downtown Charleston.
-the Inn is very nicely decorated (recently renovated) and clean.
-the staff were all extremely friendly and helpful
-the resort activities are accessible and well maintained.

NOTE: you absoluately need a car to get around, otherwise youll feel trapped at the resort.

Cons:
-all the restaurants have average food, and the menus are similar no matter which restaurant you go to. EG-sandwiches, salad, pizza.
-the rooms are fairly pricey for the area, but theres not alot of choice.

NOTE: for better fare, youll have to travel to Charleston. The suburbs along the way to the city are littered with chain restaurants. Stay away, especially from a restaurant namd Crave.

NOTE: If youre a family, try to stay in a room with a kitchenette, we didnt have that issue so I cant speak to that.

3  Thank P-Fogg-1873
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 February 2009

The Villas at Wild Dunes Resort were breathtaking. The individual rooms were decorated beautifully and they had thought of everything...from pots and pans to blenders to measuring spoons. The accommodations were completely clean, and we even began to think that perhaps no one had stayed there before. It was so nice to have the market and a wonderful restaurant, The Lettered Olive, right across the sidewalk. We had our 3 year old son there, who was very welcome by the staff, so we did take out both nights. The food was just as well prepared on the go. Our kitchen was so well stocked with pans, etc, we could have easily cooked every meal in our room (we did make our own breakfasts). We were well taken care of and the little extras made us feel extra special. We intend on returning to explore all of the exciting looking summer programs and to enjoy further the beach, which had plenty of room and sand...I can't imagine that the beach ever gets crowded with as much expanse as it had. Not only was the resort completely pleasant, but were the other guests and all of the people that work there. The Villas At Wild Dunes Resort are a must stay!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
#3 of 5 in Isle of Palms
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Palms Connector
Homewood Suites Charleston - Mt Pleasant
Homewood Suites Charleston - Mt ...
#11 of 25 in Mount Pleasant
Tides Folly Beach
Tides Folly Beach
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!