“Why go anywhere else?”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Greenville, SC
“Why go anywhere else?”
Reviewed 10 June 2009

This is the resort that you want! Everything about Wild Dunes - the grounds, the villa, the beach, the golf course - is first rate. We traveled with 2 sons, ages 21 and 19. The beach is lovely & wide, the greens are fantastic (as are the carts equipped with gps and "distance to hole & time of play" displays), the staff is exceptionally cordial and helpful. We looked online and then called - found out that there were upgrades available on the phone that we couldn't see online. Worth the call! They answered our e-mails quickly and called the day prior to arrival to see if we had additional questions. We stayed in Beach Club Villas, 3 bdrms, and it was lovely! Beautiful inside and roomy, updated, overlooking the pool and lovely palms, and just beyond was the beautiful beach! Rental umbrella/chair combos were pricey, but the sand beach is fabulous, especially away from the hotel. The hotel is lovely, but with families/kids, stay in a villa! Highly recommend! This is NOT Myrtle Beach - thank goodness!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2009

We just returned from a week long stay at the Wild Dunes Resort. We rented a Boardwalk home so we had immediate access to the pools and beach as well as the Grand Pavilion (burgers, drinks, entertainment, etc). I was originally concerned as I read some complaints on TA. After having a thorough discussion with the reservations department and a member of the management team, I decided the best decision was the house. They were very patient in answering my questions about the different accommodations they offer, their locations, amenities, pros and cons. I had some apprehensions originally due to the negative reviews but both people I spoke with helped me overcome them. Through a series of emails and conversations, I was impressed before I arrived at the communication level as well as their willingness.

When we arrived, everything was as promised. The location was exactly as described by the pictures I was emailed. The house was equipped with everything I was told. Everything was clean.

The beach is HUGE. It is perfect for children. The pools are directly in front of the beach so it is hugely convenient for my older daughter.

There are certainly things that I could mention that need improvement but that is to be expected everywhere. We were very happy overall and I really think their service was terrific. We are already planning next years trip.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 June 2009

My family of 4 just returned from a 4 night stay at Wild Dunes (May 25 - 29th). We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite in the Village. The room was very nice and clean, but the sleeper sofa was too small to accomodate my 4 & 5 year olds. We wished we had a 2 bedroom suite or villa instead. We paid extra for an ocean view which was great. However our balcony was on top of the maintenance area/AC unit for the building, so it was very noisy. The beach was great, but we weren't expecting such a long walk to get to it.....kind of a hassle with small kids and beach gear. I wouldn't recommend the Lettered Olive to anyone. The food is okay at best, but the service was terrible even after I complained. The Hudson Market was a great place to get a quick bite to eat. Overall we had a good time and would visit again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Shelton, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We decided Wild Dunes would be the last part of our trip. But really, we should have just come here first. Our room was a King Suite on the second floor of the new Villages at Wild Dunes overlooking the courtyard. The room was first rate. The service from the time we arrived to the time we departed was top notch. The staff was pleasant where ever you saw them (considering we're northerners, they almost seemed too nice).
There's a great three mile run around the resort, that leads directly back to the village. The beach is beautiful, and the pool by the ocean is crowded, but popular with the teenage crowd.
I wish we had chosen to come directly here, it is truly a high class beautiful resort.

Cocktails at the Lettered Olive were fabulous - always can find someone looking to chat (I think it is a southern thing).

The Spa is beautiful, I received a relaxing massage. Its nice - the resort is set up so you can literally charge everything directly to your room.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
N.Y.C.
Reviewed 21 May 2009

While the resort itself is well equipped, a short drive to charming Charleston, and the beach and the ocean are beautiful, our miserable experience with our Villa and housekeeping ruined what would otherwise have been an enjoyable stay. We arrived to a villa which was updated, but completely filthy. There were blood smears on the sheets and insect casings around the beds. There were also hairs in the bathroom and all over the floors. Baseboards were black at the top, and there was mold on the walls in the bedroom. When we complained and asked to change rooms, nothing else was available. The management did send a team of cleaners in to change the bedding, clean the carpet and the room. A gentleman at the front desk apologized and said that it was "hard to get good help", which was an unsettling comment for a variety of reasons. Management did discount our stay somewhat. However, I could not shake the creepy feeling I got after the first impression, and, just in case, I washed all of our items in extremely hot water and threw out the suitcases when I got home. Most others we were with had clean rooms and were happy, but at least one other group in our party was also unhappy because of cleanliness. This resort is very busy and developed and obviously makes money. The attention to cleanliness is piecemeal at best. I had no plans to write a review originally, but when friends were planning a trip to SC, I realized in fairness that people should know about practices here. For the sake of people who spend cherished vacation time and good money at this resort, I would like to see how management plans to respond to this issue. A response on Trip Advisor from them would be a start.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ella68
Aggie01, Director of Operations at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this review, 26 May 2009
Please accept my apologies for your stay last summer at Wild Dunes Resort. I am disappointed that we had an opportunity to provide you with a great summer vacation, and we let you down. I do want to thank you for your comments and appreciate your feedback. Admittedly, we had guest service issues over summer season 2008, specifically in our housekeeping department as you’ve expressed. Please know that over the last year we have taken several measures to remedy these types of issues, first and foremost by hiring a new Executive Housekeeper last summer to oversee and overhaul all housekeeping operations at Wild Dunes Resort. Please be assured that we have taken our guests’ comments on housekeeping very seriously, and we’ve made significant strides in the last year to improve upon service. I would welcome the opportunity have your family back at Wild Dunes this summer to show you just how far we’ve come in the last year. Please contact me at bharvey@wilddunes.com.
Charlotte NC
Reviewed 17 May 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Boardwalk Inn two nights. It is so nice. The property is right next to the beach and it seems like a very nice upscale older crowd. So if you want teenagers and spring break atmosphere, this is definitely not the place for you! We had great food there too right on the property. We ate lunch at the Lettered Olive and had great collards and catfish. Then for dinner we had lobster and steak at the Sea Island Grill. They had a great soft crabshell appetizer and fabulous gazpacho. We lounged at the beach one day and went into Charleston for a carriage ride tour the next day. Great weekend getaway.

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Houston
Reviewed 9 May 2009

We spent several weeks in the Villages at Wild Dunes after staying at the Boardwalk Inn the year before and enjoying our experience. This year we had our newborn son so we needed more space and rented at 3 bedroom in the Village. The staff was great....very attentive and always smiling. The food at the Lettered Olive was wonderful. My wife and mother had a number of spa services done and raved about all of it. I had a great and enjoyable haircut as well. The beaches this time of year are almost empty and the weather was fantastic. We will definitely be back but will absolutely select a different room. Ours was 117A and 115A. These were located right at the intersection of the two main arteries on the island. The traffic was constant and very loud so enjoying the ocean breeze on the patio was impossible. What was worse however was that the room was adjacent to the Fitness Center so there was the constant pounding of treadmills and the annoying thud of dropping free weights. Very poor layout to have a nice 3 bedroom condo sharing a wall with the gym. My suggestion would be to get a layout of the Village before booking and select your room on the opposite side of the main drag and away from the gym. The furnishings in our living room were not the most comfortable either...small pull-out couch and a couple chairs too formal for the beach. Great concept at the Village though..

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
French Quarter Inn
French Quarter Inn
#2 of 62 in Charleston
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Palms Connector

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!