“Thrilled with the whole experience...tremendous value. Exactly what we wanted.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wild Dunes Resort

and 1 more site!
Wild Dunes Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
GreenLeadersBronze level
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

Took my wife for 4 night anniversary vacation. Wanted beach, golf, view at a very nice place. Got a lot more than we expected. People were tremendous...from the business office to the guys at the valet/bell stand. Stayed at the newer Village buidling on the 5th floor. Room was outfitted superbly with stone tile, wood floors, granite tops. large suite room, great bedroom, huge classy bathroom. was new and beautiful. Patio with ocean view. Felt like we got a tremendous bargain and would go back and even bring our kids next time. Private beach was wonderful. Appreciated the little market/deli/store for grabbing a quick lunch or drink. Golf course were nicely maintained and played as advertised. Only disappoinment was the the "ocean" course only has ocean views on the last two holes. The only lame experience we had was at the snack bar / poolside grill...it was not up to the standard of the rest of the place in terms of service or food quality. Overall, the experience was a 9.5 out of 10. Wild Dunes over-delivered on what we were expecting.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2009

First I will say if you use hotwire right you can get this hotel for a fraction of the cost. We paid more then $100 less a night using hotwire then people using Expedia.

I liked it for the most part. The location was key. We really wanted to be close to Charleston and on the beach. The hotel was relaxed and I liked the beach there.

I loved that the pools are salt water pools.

Isle of Palms is a really nice area so the location was great.

We didn't get to golf since the baby was with us I wish we had been able to. So I can't speak about the course.

The bad things I can say is I had to call three times to the front desk for our crib. Finally the maid brought it up two hours later and tossed the sheets on the bed and left. The sheets were large queen sheets not fitted crib sheets that would be safe. I had brought a crib sheet but the crib was the size of a pack and play so it did not fit. I had to rig it up and sleep her right next to the bed keeping an eye on her.

This place will nickel and dime you. Like they force you into using valet car service then charge you $1 every time you take your car out, we didn't find out about this until check out. It was only $3 but it was the principle. Really you needed our $3 that bad...

They charge you 30 dollars for beach chair rentals a day insane. I am so glad we brought our own and carried them out. The food and drinks were very expensive. We went out for the most part but it is a pita to do so. You have to call for your car, get charged the $1 fee and go out of the peninsula to get food. Amazingly somehow we only incurred $120 in all the overages. I had to work my butt of to make that happen though. Take my own beach chairs, buy bottled water, no drinks, no room service, etc. Maybe I a used to all inclusive places over seas and that is why I was sticker shocked. I just thought $30 a day was a lot for beach chair rentals and $9 for a bagel at the shop you have to walk to like $15 for room service with fees.

The room had no working refrigerator for my baby's milk. It was an old mini bar fridge that was dirty and did not work so I had to throw out all the extra milk :/.

Upon check out the valet drivers had lost our keys. So here I a with an 8 month old baby, all my bags, and a valet saying they can't find our keys. I had to get down in the valet key area holding my baby and find the keys the drivers had put the wrong label on it was not fun.

On top of all of that some how my personal pillow went missing when the valet took my bags from the car to the room. I just do not understand where it went or how you lose a pillow on that short trip. We had to stop at Bed Bath and Beyond on the way home to buy me a new pillow.

For the most part we had a good time. But that is because we always make our trips fun no matter what happens. I would stay here again I just would not pay the price they ask for on Expedia etc. I would only stay there again if we got the hotwire rate.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank IslandBeachBabe
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

The Boardwalk Inn is great...our Junior Suite was large and very nice. The staff..from bellmen to front desk to housekeeping are TOP NOTCH. The pool at the Inn is nice and very family oriented...the pools near the Pavilion/Ocean were very small and more rowdy. Those 2 pools are entirely too small for the number of families/people using them. The tennis/spa services were utilized by my family and we were pleased.

The worst part of our stay was dinner at the Lettered Olive. It is overpriced and service was poor. My mother in law's meal was to be well done....it was brought to her medium rare. The waiter acknowledged it was the kitchen's mistake..but there was no apology from anyone. The manager didn't even come over to our table. Also, a side dish was incorrectly brought to our table. When our waiter returned 4-5 minutes later and we told him it was not ours.....he said "oh it goes to this other table" and he took it directly to their table. Without checking to see if we had tasted it; put our forks in it, etc... I suggest you not eat there.

1 Thank FunFamily05
Hampton Roads, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

We stayed at the Wild Dunes last summer, and then again this summer because we got a discount as "returning guests". There are 5* accommodations and there are 2* accommodations at this resort and it is NOT based on how much you spend, which is tricky. Stay in the newest section even though it is a hike to the beach. The Beach club villas were perfect for us last year (our children are 1, 3 &4) with a modern kitchen, spacious house and fair price. I would have rated it 4*. This year we "splurged" and stayed in a "Luxury House" right next to the Grand Pavilion... HUGH mistake. The kitchen and all appliances in the house were dated, and lacked basic cooking essentials (ie a frying pan and spatula?). The location and view were great, but there was no maid service, no wireless internet and it was SO LOUD we couldn't go to sleep until after 11p every night. That house might be ok if you have teens or young adults, but if you have a young family or grand kids or you go on vacation to relax, FORGET IT!! It was also REALLY expensive. Such a mistake. I hope someone can benefit from my error. Good luck.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank RAtrips
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

My family wanted to vacation near Charleston, but we also wanted to be on the beach. However, there are very limited options for staying on the beach near Charleston. Eventually, we managed to find a great deal on this resort, and we were very pleased with the experience.

It should be noted that this was our first time staying at a resort, so it should come as little surprise that we were impressed with the service. The staff, from the desk clerk to the cleaning staff, was always friendly in any interaction. We stayed in the Boardwalk Inn, and the room was clean and larger than most beach hotel rooms we've been in, and had a king-size bed. The cleaning service was top-notch, and the valets were always helpful.

Again, we are not regular resort patrons, and generally I would not bother with the upscale cost of a resort, as we tend to get out and about during our week of vacation. Therefore, we didn't take advantage of the resort's on-site amenities; due to negative reviews, we stayed away from the restaurants, and never found time to check out the tennis courts, etc. It was clear that others were taking advantage, and I could see how you could spend the week there and never leave the resort (although I would think that would be rather cost prohibitive).

We generally prefer a beachfront room, but since those were a scarcity around Charleston, we ended up with the short walk to the beach from the Boardwalk Inn, but it was not a long distance down the boardwalk between the resort's villas and across the Pavilion, which was always a hive of activity.

We only had a a few minor issues with the overall stay. Probably the most annoying was, as others have said in reviews, the walls in the inn seem to be surprisingly lacking in soundproofing. A child in the room next to us seemed to do nothing without crying, and we heard it clearly, so much so that we knew her by name. This surprised me for a hotel of this quality; I've stayed in several much cheaper hotels that were much more soundproof.

The refrigerator in the room was more of a cooler for alcoholic beverages, it seemed, and was small and did not keep things very cold. There was no microwave provided, either (again, I'm sure the assumption/hope is that you'll be eating the meals offered by the resort).

The place is layered with security, and that's a nice thing, but it became a bit of an annoyance in coming and going from the beach late at night. Since the Pavilion closes at 11 p.m., the gates on either side of the Pavilion would not accept your key card after this time; hence, if you wanted to walk to the beach after 11 p.m., you had to take a circuitous route through darkened areas. Additionally, late at night our key card would not open the gate opening onto the pool at the back of the inn (even though a staff member told us it was open all night), forcing us to walk around to the front of the hotel to get back in. This probably wasn't much of an issue for others, as all the common areas, from the Inn to the beach, were devoid of guests after 11 p.m.

Overall, this was the nicest place we've stayed on any of our eight family beach vacations. All that being said, as was noted at the beginning, we got a great deal on this room; we got great value, but it's hard to speak to what kind of value it would normally be.

Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2009

My family and I stayed at Wild Dunes last summer and loved the resort. We were planning to return and even received a discount post card with discounted prices of up to 40% off for seven nights stay. The fine print says its a limited time offer which is valid through Sept. 3, 2009. When I called in June to book a stay, I was told the offer was no longer valid and had expired in May 2009. The new offer was 25% off vacation bookings. When I read the fine print to the phone attendant, she had no explaination. Even though there was availablility in the units we were interested in, 2 BR Villa, they would not honor the discounted rate from the post card I received. This is a very deceiving and disingenuous add. Though we love this resort, we will not return! We have stayed at other large resorts, simular to Wild Dunes, in the Charleston area and will return to one of those.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Okies151
Charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

This is the second year our family have visited Wild Dunes and stayed at the Villages. The villa was beautiful, and had every amenity we needed. The beach was great and the staff extremely pleasant and helpful. There is great dining close by and Charleston is only 25 minutes away. We already have reservations for next year!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isle of Palms
Harbourview Inn
Harbourview Inn
#6 of 60 in Charleston
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,931 reviews

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!