“Boearwalk Inn disappointing.” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta
“Boearwalk Inn disappointing.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

Disappointing. The Boardwalk Inn is located at the end of a nice, long boardwalk that runs perpendicular (not parallel) to the beach. The Inn is a tired facility, poorly maintained and in need of substantial capital improvement. Our room had stained and tattered carpet, complemented with buckling wall paper. Rust was the dominant feature of the inside of the bathroom door frame. Parking, valet and elevator access are all grossly below reasonable capacity requirements. (Modern building permit standards would not allow construction of a facility with such inadequate parking and elevator capacity.) The outdoor eating facilities had more flies than patrons, something that tabletop cleaning and outdoor fans would have improved. The Staff was helpful and polite, but you can get a far superior vacation value elsewhere – indeed, any where else.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
Charlotte
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

We just got back from a week at WD. We stayed in a 2 bedroom Luxury Villa. We booked with WD, as we could have saved $500 by going to Travelocity but according to WD that would only be a standard not a Luxury Villa. Who knows. The unit was nice, granite counter tops, plenty of Kitchen utensils, clean, nice enough furniture and Ocean Front as described.

The issues with WD seem to be, do they want to be a high end resort, do the want to to be a family resort, what are they?

Restaurants, you have 2 choices the Lettered Olive and the Sea Island Grill. Let me tell you about our first night at the Lettered Olive.

I read the reviews here of poor service and figured it was the typical picky people. Well they weren't off by much. We made reservation for 8:45, we arrived about 8:20, that got them fraxxled as they announced "YOUR EARLY", I told them we were, we'd like to have a drink and that we would be in the bar, no problem. Well as I walked in I did notice that 40-50% of the tables were empty, but I figure that is to not overwhelm the staff. So we wait until 8:55, no action from the hostess stand. Its time to go check on the delay. Stupid us, we were told we were suppose to come and tell them? What 'm supposed to know that they are ready to seat me? I guess that's a new one on me. OK no big deal, time to sit down. We had a nice enough waiter, young, uninformed about the menu, only, "that's good" when questioned about the items. So we order, we have all week. So we sit, and sit and I start to think about the reviews and the service level. I then sit and watch the manager who is expediting the orders stand and eat out of the french fry bowl for the next 20 minutes while plating other diners orders. It is now 50 minutes since we have ordered and I instruct our young waiter to get the manager. The french fry guy come over and says our food is ready and he is sorry for the delay, (half the tables are empty) I tell him, no we would just like to pay for the drinks and leave, I then tell him, I cant stand to sit here and watch him eat out of the french fry bowl any longer. He turns on his heels, leave, comes back and says don't worry about the drinks, we're all set. I stop by Guest Services the next morning to relive this with a Food & Beverage Manager, she offers us a credit in the other Restaurant

Sea Island Grill, is the fancy restaurant on WD, it is only open for Dinner Thurs-SUN and lunch daily. We use our credit without the girls. Nice restaurant, service attentiveness was fine as there were 5 tables on a Thurs night and 3 wait staff. The waiter was very nice, but again, not polished with the missing button on his vest and the need to read every item from notes. It isn't a big menu, the waiter had worked there for over 3 years. Again, we got the "it's good, oh I like it" on every item we asked about, and really no guidance. We had to laugh because it was almost sad as we asked for a wine recommendation and were sent to the $85 per bottle cabernet and the same answer of "it's a good one" came from the 35 dollar bottle. For a night cap we stop at the restaurant bar and witnessed the table of drunk underage kids trying to act "grown up", now the one drinking at the table was of age and there certainly was no underage people being served, they had shown up that way. So we had the young lady dropping f-bombs, talking about seeing guys di**s and then we had the big boy at the table run out the doors and vomit in the fountain. A few minutes later the F-bomb girl ends up outside diving in the pool shoes and all. Humorous but kind of sad. Am I at Carlos & Charlies?

So we have this nice looking "resort" that is trying to be something, it doesn't know what. We certainly enjoyed the restaurant in the area of Sullivan's Island, Mt. Pleasant, and Isle of Palms, just not at WD. The beach was nice, of course bring your own chairs and umbrella, the bike rental at $54 per week was fine. The pools are small if staying at the Inn or the Village, each Villa complex has its own pool which is great to cool off in after a day on the beach. The place better watch the upkeep as a little bit of trash and a few shoddy looking areas were present.

The tennis court seemed fine, I don't know what their golf courses are like. The gym was adequate yet small. There was a small store for coffee and a paper, possibly news paper selection beyond USA Today and the Local paper would be an idea as well, and beach stuff and a few groceries. The well expired milk was a turn off in the dairy cooler.

I don't want to seem like a snob but for the money Kiawah seems to be the place. If lots to do is your need then I would say Hilton Head.

I had a nice week and I'm sure most people do, just don't see the need to pay for the amenities that we found sub standard a and a bit disappointing.

2 Thank GSPRCharlotte
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

Took my wife for 4 night anniversary vacation. Wanted beach, golf, view at a very nice place. Got a lot more than we expected. People were tremendous...from the business office to the guys at the valet/bell stand. Stayed at the newer Village buidling on the 5th floor. Room was outfitted superbly with stone tile, wood floors, granite tops. large suite room, great bedroom, huge classy bathroom. was new and beautiful. Patio with ocean view. Felt like we got a tremendous bargain and would go back and even bring our kids next time. Private beach was wonderful. Appreciated the little market/deli/store for grabbing a quick lunch or drink. Golf course were nicely maintained and played as advertised. Only disappoinment was the the "ocean" course only has ocean views on the last two holes. The only lame experience we had was at the snack bar / poolside grill...it was not up to the standard of the rest of the place in terms of service or food quality. Overall, the experience was a 9.5 out of 10. Wild Dunes over-delivered on what we were expecting.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2009

First I will say if you use hotwire right you can get this hotel for a fraction of the cost. We paid more then $100 less a night using hotwire then people using Expedia.

I liked it for the most part. The location was key. We really wanted to be close to Charleston and on the beach. The hotel was relaxed and I liked the beach there.

I loved that the pools are salt water pools.

Isle of Palms is a really nice area so the location was great.

We didn't get to golf since the baby was with us I wish we had been able to. So I can't speak about the course.

The bad things I can say is I had to call three times to the front desk for our crib. Finally the maid brought it up two hours later and tossed the sheets on the bed and left. The sheets were large queen sheets not fitted crib sheets that would be safe. I had brought a crib sheet but the crib was the size of a pack and play so it did not fit. I had to rig it up and sleep her right next to the bed keeping an eye on her.

This place will nickel and dime you. Like they force you into using valet car service then charge you $1 every time you take your car out, we didn't find out about this until check out. It was only $3 but it was the principle. Really you needed our $3 that bad...

They charge you 30 dollars for beach chair rentals a day insane. I am so glad we brought our own and carried them out. The food and drinks were very expensive. We went out for the most part but it is a pita to do so. You have to call for your car, get charged the $1 fee and go out of the peninsula to get food. Amazingly somehow we only incurred $120 in all the overages. I had to work my butt of to make that happen though. Take my own beach chairs, buy bottled water, no drinks, no room service, etc. Maybe I a used to all inclusive places over seas and that is why I was sticker shocked. I just thought $30 a day was a lot for beach chair rentals and $9 for a bagel at the shop you have to walk to like $15 for room service with fees.

The room had no working refrigerator for my baby's milk. It was an old mini bar fridge that was dirty and did not work so I had to throw out all the extra milk :/.

Upon check out the valet drivers had lost our keys. So here I a with an 8 month old baby, all my bags, and a valet saying they can't find our keys. I had to get down in the valet key area holding my baby and find the keys the drivers had put the wrong label on it was not fun.

On top of all of that some how my personal pillow went missing when the valet took my bags from the car to the room. I just do not understand where it went or how you lose a pillow on that short trip. We had to stop at Bed Bath and Beyond on the way home to buy me a new pillow.

For the most part we had a good time. But that is because we always make our trips fun no matter what happens. I would stay here again I just would not pay the price they ask for on Expedia etc. I would only stay there again if we got the hotwire rate.

1 Thank IslandBeachBabe
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

The Boardwalk Inn is great...our Junior Suite was large and very nice. The staff..from bellmen to front desk to housekeeping are TOP NOTCH. The pool at the Inn is nice and very family oriented...the pools near the Pavilion/Ocean were very small and more rowdy. Those 2 pools are entirely too small for the number of families/people using them. The tennis/spa services were utilized by my family and we were pleased.

The worst part of our stay was dinner at the Lettered Olive. It is overpriced and service was poor. My mother in law's meal was to be well done....it was brought to her medium rare. The waiter acknowledged it was the kitchen's mistake..but there was no apology from anyone. The manager didn't even come over to our table. Also, a side dish was incorrectly brought to our table. When our waiter returned 4-5 minutes later and we told him it was not ours.....he said "oh it goes to this other table" and he took it directly to their table. Without checking to see if we had tasted it; put our forks in it, etc... I suggest you not eat there.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank FunFamily05
Hampton Roads, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

We stayed at the Wild Dunes last summer, and then again this summer because we got a discount as "returning guests". There are 5* accommodations and there are 2* accommodations at this resort and it is NOT based on how much you spend, which is tricky. Stay in the newest section even though it is a hike to the beach. The Beach club villas were perfect for us last year (our children are 1, 3 &4) with a modern kitchen, spacious house and fair price. I would have rated it 4*. This year we "splurged" and stayed in a "Luxury House" right next to the Grand Pavilion... HUGH mistake. The kitchen and all appliances in the house were dated, and lacked basic cooking essentials (ie a frying pan and spatula?). The location and view were great, but there was no maid service, no wireless internet and it was SO LOUD we couldn't go to sleep until after 11p every night. That house might be ok if you have teens or young adults, but if you have a young family or grand kids or you go on vacation to relax, FORGET IT!! It was also REALLY expensive. Such a mistake. I hope someone can benefit from my error. Good luck.

7 Thank RAtrips
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

My family wanted to vacation near Charleston, but we also wanted to be on the beach. However, there are very limited options for staying on the beach near Charleston. Eventually, we managed to find a great deal on this resort, and we were very pleased with the experience.

It should be noted that this was our first time staying at a resort, so it should come as little surprise that we were impressed with the service. The staff, from the desk clerk to the cleaning staff, was always friendly in any interaction. We stayed in the Boardwalk Inn, and the room was clean and larger than most beach hotel rooms we've been in, and had a king-size bed. The cleaning service was top-notch, and the valets were always helpful.

Again, we are not regular resort patrons, and generally I would not bother with the upscale cost of a resort, as we tend to get out and about during our week of vacation. Therefore, we didn't take advantage of the resort's on-site amenities; due to negative reviews, we stayed away from the restaurants, and never found time to check out the tennis courts, etc. It was clear that others were taking advantage, and I could see how you could spend the week there and never leave the resort (although I would think that would be rather cost prohibitive).

We generally prefer a beachfront room, but since those were a scarcity around Charleston, we ended up with the short walk to the beach from the Boardwalk Inn, but it was not a long distance down the boardwalk between the resort's villas and across the Pavilion, which was always a hive of activity.

We only had a a few minor issues with the overall stay. Probably the most annoying was, as others have said in reviews, the walls in the inn seem to be surprisingly lacking in soundproofing. A child in the room next to us seemed to do nothing without crying, and we heard it clearly, so much so that we knew her by name. This surprised me for a hotel of this quality; I've stayed in several much cheaper hotels that were much more soundproof.

The refrigerator in the room was more of a cooler for alcoholic beverages, it seemed, and was small and did not keep things very cold. There was no microwave provided, either (again, I'm sure the assumption/hope is that you'll be eating the meals offered by the resort).

The place is layered with security, and that's a nice thing, but it became a bit of an annoyance in coming and going from the beach late at night. Since the Pavilion closes at 11 p.m., the gates on either side of the Pavilion would not accept your key card after this time; hence, if you wanted to walk to the beach after 11 p.m., you had to take a circuitous route through darkened areas. Additionally, late at night our key card would not open the gate opening onto the pool at the back of the inn (even though a staff member told us it was open all night), forcing us to walk around to the front of the hotel to get back in. This probably wasn't much of an issue for others, as all the common areas, from the Inn to the beach, were devoid of guests after 11 p.m.

Overall, this was the nicest place we've stayed on any of our eight family beach vacations. All that being said, as was noted at the beginning, we got a great deal on this room; we got great value, but it's hard to speak to what kind of value it would normally be.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Harbourview Inn
Harbourview Inn
#6 of 60 in Charleston
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,933 reviews

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!