“Great atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Boathouse

Boathouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Boathouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, View, Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Breach Inlet
Toledo, Ohio
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

The food was great and had an awesome view. Highly recommend a visit here if you are in the Charleston area.

Visited August 2013

ashburn, va
“Tail of two experiences.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We decided to go to this restaurant last minute as we didn't have much planed for our 4th of July dinner after a long day at the beach. Luckily we were able to get a reservation, albeit 545pm. We were seated outside and the waitress was very nice and attentive. It was a pleasant evening, a little warm, but not uncomfortable. The view was nice. My kids got the spaghetti with butter and cheese and my wife got the fried clams. All were satisfied with their meals. I got the 1/2 dozen raw oysters from Thomas Cove, VA and the salmon with blue cheese coleslaw and collard greens. Everything was cooked and season well and I enjoyed the meal.

Ok...now to the second half.....as we were finishing up, about 1 hour after consuming the oysters, my stomach started to cramp. At first I thought it was indigestion, but quickly I realized it was more. My stomach was cramping so bad on the way home I was curled in the passenger seat moaning in pain. I told my wife to call the restaurant immediately and let them know I have food poisoning, simply out of courtesy for other patrons. My wife called and young man who answered the phone was extremely rude and argumentative, so she quickly ended the call. After a couple hours of being violently ill, my symptoms subsided. I fell asleep and was perfectly normal the next morning, I even had breakfast with no issues. Later that day, around noon, I called the Boathouse and left a message for the manager to call me back. I had not heard from them by 9pm, so I called back and spoke to a manager and she said no one gave her a message. The manager proceeded to tell me that there was no way I could have gotten sick from the raw oysters because a rancid oyster smells so bad the chef and I would know immediately. She also concluded that it would take longer than an hour for food poisoning to hit me and I would be sick longer than a few hours. She said they did over 400 plates that night and had no other complaints of food poisoning, so it could not have been the food from of the restaurant.

Let me first say that I've worked in the food industry for many years and I understand that these type of things happen, so I harbor no ill feelings toward the restaurant. I also understand that there might be a very very slight possibility that my sickness could have come from something else. However, I've had food poisoning before and this felt very familiar to that experience. Plus I felt fine before the meal and if I had some virus it would have lasted longer. Clearly I enjoyed the meal, the service and ambiance, so I am marking them poor simply for the APPALLING reaction my wife and I received over the course of 24 hours. Long are the days that customer service is highly valued and a simple "I am terribly sorry sir, what can I do to make your experience better" comment is made, but instead it's all about placing accountability on someone else. I am no doctor, so I will submit that it could have been something else, but I am pretty sure this manager isn't a doctor either, so to discount the food as the cause for the illness so easily was something I can't accept.

I will say that even with the food poisoning, yes I believe it was food poisoning, I would have gone back again, HOWEVER, due to the extreme lack of concern for the customer on behalf the staff I will NEVER go to or recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank hemanvt
Charleston
“An outstanding dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had friendly and prompt service with excellent food especially the fresh seafood and a great atmosphere. Our family of 12 who have dined all over the Charleston area were more than pleased with every aspect of our evening. The striking view and friendly staff just added to this great experience. To top off the evening the manager agreed to take a picture of our family just at sunset. Over all we were impressed with every aspect of our evening at the roadhouse at the breach Inlet we will return. "Bob and Family"

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Wichita, Kansas, United States
“Dinner at the Boathouse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Great food and good service. I felt it was a bit pricey and it's a place you need reservations. We dropped in which was a mistake on our part. They did take care of outside but would have preferred to be inside with a view of the water.

Visited June 2014
Aiken,SC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bland food.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Food did not fulfill our expectations. When you eat at the coast you might think that seafood is fresh - not here! Even the hush puppies were not good. Very generic food and not good presentation at all. I asked for the soup of the day "avocado escabeche" and YUCK! The waiter was kind enough and took it off my check without me asking. When it came time for dessert we all said, "no way - lets get out of here" ...

Visited June 2014