“Best place to eat”

Acme Lowcountry Kitchen
Price range: US$8 - US$28
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Acme Lowcountry Kitchen specializes in local seafood, if we cannot source it locally it is sourced off the East Coast of the USA! We do not serve seafood from any other area. We of course never serve any imported seafood. We truly believe in supporting American Fishermen and Shrimpers!
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Love the shrimp & grits. Great burgers and fries and the fried shrimp is fantastic. Staff is very friendly and attentive to their customers

Bobby S, Owner at Acme Lowcountry Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice review. Glad to hear you enjoy the food and service that Acme has to offer! Thanks So Much!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,417)

Reviewed 11 May 2014

By far the best food on the island. Their peaches and cream grits are to die for. Great service and great vibe.

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice review. Those Peaches and Cream grits are pretty darn good I will agree. Paired with a local Wahoo or Grouper is one of my favorites! Thanks So Much!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is hands-down my favorite place to eat in Charleston. I have eaten here many, many times and have never been disappointed with the service or the food, although it can get busy in the summertime and it is best to get a reservation on the weekends. I like the fact that you can get outstanding food in a simple and fun atmosphere that is not too stuffy. Our latest meal was no exception. My wife and I went for dinner on Thursday evening and there was a pretty good crowd, but we were seated right away and the service was prompt and courteous. I ordered the shrimp succotash, an Acme signature dish that I have never had anywhere else, and it was absolutely delicious. The shrimp were local and cooked to perfection - not the rubbery foreign shrimp that most restaurants in Charleston try to pass off as the real thing. My wife had the bone-in pork chop special and she loved it as well. I highly recommend Acme to anyone who wants great local food at a great price in a relaxed atmosphere.

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice review. Glad to hear yall enjoyed your dinner at Acme! Thanks So Much!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We tried breakfast, lunch and dinner here. Every meal was fabulous! The staff is friendly and they make you feel at home. I highly recommend Acme!

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice review. Thank you so much for trying breakfast, lunch and dinner! Awesome! Glad to hear everything was enjoyed! Thanks So Much!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We had hoped to eat at Coda de Pesce as we had eaten there before and really liked the food, but they were booked. We asked the matre' d for a recommendation and he sent us to Acme telling us we didn't need a reservation and that we would like to food.

Well, a reservation is recommended. We arrived about 7:00 pm - well after the dinner rush - and were told it would be a 45 minute wait. We asked if we could just go back to our hotel room and come back in 30 minutes (since our hotel was across the street and we would be more comfortable hanging out in the hotel), but they said no. No? Why not? They allowed that it was OK for us to take a walk for ten minutes and come back to check in. So, that is what we did.

We took a quick walk and when we returned the wait had not changed. We sat for about 15 minutes then my husband decided he would like to get a beer in their bar. He ordered a beer and we ended up ordering the fried green tomato appetizer since we knew we had at least 30 minutes of wait ahead.

The fried green tomatoes plate presented beautifully and were prepared perfectly. We received them quickly and polished them off.

We were finally seated a little after 8 pm...more than an hour wait. We had already figured out what we wanted for dinner. We ordered the Lobster and Cake dish - two petite lobster tails with a jumbo crab cake and two sides. For the sides, we ordered collard greens and truffle-infused grits. Because service in the dining room was slow, we asked for bread when no bread was brought to the table.

My husband had considered ordering a glass of wine, but the wine list didn't show any vintage dates next to the wines, so it just seemed a little iffy.

We finally got our food about 8:20 pm, but we had to flag down a server to get silverware.

Our server failed to check on us while we were eating and our water glasses were not re-filled.

My husband complained about the size of the lobster tails and our server explained that the menu does say "petite". The lobster tails were closer to the size of prawns. However, to be fair we were provided with four tails instead of the two promised by the menu.

The collard greens were extremely flavorful. I believe the chef used molasses and bacon drippings. The grits were watery and disappointing. The jumbo crab cake was about the size of a silver dollar, so not really that jumbo. However, it was well formed and very tasty.

The lobster tails were cooked properly and served with drawn butter. Overall, pretty good.

We finished our meal about 8:45 and the only thing our server was quick about was bringing our check and closing out the ticket.

Ambiance is OK, but the seats were not that comfortable - which is one of the reasons we were so unhappy waiting. In the entry area there is a display case positioned over the bench seating for people waiting for a table. If you try to sit back, your head will hit the display case, so while you are waiting, you are expected to either sit outside in the heat or sit inside on a bench where you have to crouch to prevent your head from getting bonked.

Bobby S, Owner at Acme Lowcountry Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Howdy there. Sorry yall did not have the best of experiences while at Acme.

I do believe we need a clear up a few things though.

7:00pm is not well after the dinner rush. 7:00pm is typically just the beginning of the dinner rush.

With walk ins we ask that you do not leave. The hostesses do their best to give appropriate wait times and yes sometimes these times can go over, hostesses are people and can make mistakes especially when there are many factors they cannot control. If a table sits longer than expected they cant really do anything about it except try their best. We ask for walk ins to stay with us because reservations don't show up and tables can leave earlier than thought. I am sure you would not like to walk back to your hotel and then miss your name being called and then lose your spot in line.

I am glad you like the Fried Green Tomatoes and thank you for the two thumbs up.

The Lobster and Cake dish does come with petite lobster tails and a Jumbo Lump Crab Cake, not a jumbo crab cake. Our crab cakes are not huge in size because we use very little filler and we use local jumbo lump crab sourced from the Carolinas. We also do not offer bread before service. We would like to be able to do this but our kitchen is extremely small and we do not have the capacity to bake and warm large volumes of bread.

We do not have vintage dates on our wine list and to be honest never thought of it and this is the first time anyone has complained about it...

The fact that you server did not check on y'all is awful. I am so sorry for that. There is really no excuse.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed the collard greens and sad to hear you did not enjoy the grits. Our grits are usually enjoyed by many.

I am glad the lobster tails were cooked properly and the crab cake was tasty.

I am guessing the grits that you did not like led to the food being uneven.

So sorry.