“Nice Location With Good Food”

Acme Lowcountry Kitchen
Price range: US$8 - US$28
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Description: Acme Lowcountry Kitchen specializes in local seafood, if we cannot source it locally it is sourced off the East Coast of the USA! We do not serve seafood from any other area. We of course never serve any imported seafood. We truly believe in supporting American Fishermen and Shrimpers!
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Went there for dinner during week of July 4th. I'd read about different options around Isle of Palms and saw good reviews about the food and issues with long waits. I took my dad, father in law and two kids (ages 4 and 11 mos). Parking was limited but found a spot up close and my father in law went in to see if we could get a table around 5:30. We were able to walk right in and be seated. Within about 10 minutes of sitting down, the place started to get backed up. Some people had reservations, some were just walk ins and the wait was at least a half hour right after we got there. The restaurant has covered outdoor seating, a seperate bar area and the dining area. We sat up near the front, so I can't say much about the rest of the dining. The food came out pretty quickly, the server was very friendly and helpful. I had the low country shrimp and grits, my dad had grouper and my father in law had some combo of shrimp and collard greens. We had clams for appetizers and the egg rolls. Overall, the food was great with big portions and the prices weren't bad compared to Charleston. It was probably the best meal we had on vacation. We also had some really good food in Charleston itself, so no complaints overall. The Chef came out and talked to us for a couple of minutes and was very friendly. We liked the fact that the location was in a shack, but we saw several people come in that were dressed well, so it's not just a hole in the wall.

Bobby S, Owner at Acme Lowcountry Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a pleasant review! I am so happy to hear your family had what you say was your "best meal" in Charleston while on vacation. I am glad the service was good and that the Chef got the chance to speak with y'all.

As to our wait issues, this is pretty much a common thing for many restaurants, especially in the busy summer months. We only have so many tables that we can sit people at and when those are full we have no choice but to go on a wait. Some nights every table can be taken within 30 minutes of opening.

Thanks Again! Y'all travel safe!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,376)

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

For some good seafood options at more affordable prices, enjoy Acme for lunch. My husband got the flounder & shrimp with 2 sides for $14 so we just shared & added another side for me. Good field peas :) nice place to enjoy AC & take a break from the beach. Local beers as well as some craft options such as Bell's Two Hearted. I think they also have an early bird special for dinner.

Bobby S, Owner at Acme Lowcountry Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a pleasant review. Glad to hear you enjoyed lunch with us and the beer from Kalamazoo. Thanks So Much! Travel Safe!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We've been coming to Acme for many years and have seen the restaurant go through a lot of changes. I'm happy to report that the gradual, yet recent 'transformation' has been very impressive! While we were initially sad to see some of our favorites dropped from the menu (burritos, quesadillas, chip combo), we can say that the food quality has improved tremendously. The fish and shrimp tacos are probably the best we've ever had and are an incredibly great value. Chef Frank goes out of his way to greet guests and consistently turns out excellent, creative, and fresh food (he does a fantastic job with local produce and fresh, local seafood). The service is friendly and topnotch. Acme continues to be one of our favorites and I'd highly recommend this to locals and tourists alike! The food is that good.

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a pleasant review. I am very happy to hear you have enjoyed all the changes over the recent years. It was a very hard decision to make to remove certain items from our menu, but as we introduced more local items and dishes the older item sales went very far down. I know we have upset some and I hate that, but hearing all the overall positive comments make me feel it was worth it. Thanks So Much!

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Want to make a review to get away from the odd number but the food I heard was awesome look forward to eating there on my way there now

1  Thank Michael S
Bobby S, Owner at Acme Lowcountry Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

That is hilarious. I noticed the number too.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We spent last week on Isle of Palms and ate at this restaurant twice. I had the shrimp basket and the fish tacos which were both excellent. Service was good both times. This is very popular place so be prepared to wait a bit but be sure to visit the bar for a "cold one". We had little kids with us and they loved the food also.

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a pleasant review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed both visits to Acme recently! Good to here the kids enjoyed the food too, having two young children myself it is very important to me to offer a nice selection for the younger ones. Thanks So Much! Travel Safe!