“Great Service, Too Much Red Rice”

Coconut Joe's Beach Grill
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Caribbean, American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Bar Scene, Groups, Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Coconut Joe's is a family-friendly restaurant right on the beach. We have a wide range of entrees on our menu: burgers, seafood, Caribbean specialties, entree salads, wraps, and plenty of choices for the children. During the season, we have live music at our rooftop bar every night, and this is a fun place to be if there is a wait for your table. We offer call-ahead seating up to 45 minutes ahead of your anticipated arrival. During the cooler months, we offer a spectacular view, and a quieter environment to enjoy your meal.
Key West, Florida
“Great Service, Too Much Red Rice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stopped for lunch during a short visit to the beach I used to hang out on when they still played half ball and danced the shag to beach music at Hudson's Pavilion. Yes that really tells my age.

I like red rice so I chose red rice as my side to go with my chicken ranch wrap. Ala, the wrap was full of rice along with the chicken. When the waitress checked on us I joked about the over abundance of rice. She offered to bring me some fries, which I thought was pretty nice of her. Didn't get her name but she was tall and slim. They also have a military discount which was good as both my friend and I are retired military. I understand they have good bands on the rooftop. As far as the wrap went, just ok and they really didn't need to put rice in it, especially if rice is a side choice.

• Visited May 2014

Asheville
“Live Entertainment with a Fantastic Ocean View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stumbled upon Coconut Joe's while winding down our trip to the Isle of Palms. We followed the beat of the music emanating from their rooftop bar and were treated to a great show and a fabulous ocean view. We will definitely visit Coconut Joe's again when we have more time to soak up the atmosphere. The band sounded great! Staff was friendly. The restaurant was clean, but we did not have dinner (the food looked amazing!).

Visited May 2014
“Beach comfort food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Every time we visit IOP we eat here. Pleasant staff, quick, good food and excellent prices. Drinks are always refreshing especially after a day at the beach. Very convienant to shops, hotels & of course the beach. I suggest coconut joes to anyone & everyone, nice place....they've never disappointed us!!!! Oh and the crab cakes are huge, meaty, and oh so delicious!!!!!

USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Foreign ID's”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

My niece and nephew were visiting from Ireland and today they were refused a drink because they produced foreign ID's... Unbelievable. We ate there earlier in the week and they were not asked for an ID. I bring all my foreign visitors here and it has never been an issue. By the way they are 28 and 30 respectively. Needless to say they didn't stay to eat and found a very pleasnt eatery across the road.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank CazUsa
CoconutJoe2014, Owner at Coconut Joe's Beach Grill, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
I am terribly sorry for your frustration. I am the owner of Coconut Joe's and I wish there is something I can say to make the situation better. In the state of South Carolina, the law is clearly stated that the only LEGAL ID's accepted for the consumption of alcohol are: a military ID; a US issued ID such as a driver's license or state issued identification card; or a Passport. We should not accept foreign issued ID's as we have no way of validating it's legitimacy. Also, it is our policy to check ID's for All persons who appear to be under the age of 40. As a owner of a beach restaurant, I have tried to train all of our employees to check all IDs as we are a "target" for underage drinkers. This is an ongoing problem associated with being a beach restaurant.
The person who served your nephew and niece were actually in violation of our policy and of the local state laws. Unfortunately, I do not have enough information to correct their performance. Again, I am terribly sorry for your frustration. But, to eliminate this problem in the future, the young folk might want to consider keeping their passport with them at all times as stated by Federal Law.
Charleston,SC
“As bad as it gets !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have a litmus tests for by-the-sea restaurants. Your fish sandwich and your fish and chips. Because lets face it, if you can't make any of those VERY simple dishes then can you really cook anything at all ? CJ's fish and chips was a frozen piece of fish that was barely cooked accompanied by lukewarm fries. The thing was so terrible that you have to believe they don't want you to eat there just drink. It is a fun place to listen to a band at night as for food, SKIP IT

• Visited June 2013
Marti M, at Coconut Joe's Beach Grill, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
I'm sorry you had a bad experience at Coconut Joe's. I hope we fixed you something else that was more pleasing. Please accept our apologies.