“Comfortable and Convenient -- Not Fancy”
Review of Ocean Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Isle of Palms
Ocean Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
Columbus
“Comfortable and Convenient -- Not Fancy”
Reviewed 12 October 2009

My husband and I just returned from a 3-night stay at Ocean Inn. Our condo was perfectly servicable, but did not have any "frills." If you're headed to the OI, make sure to bring all the necessities with you - including beach towels and hair dryers. I was somewhat surprised to find that these items were not provided, but I realize now that this is pretty standard for the area. The decor was beachy and fun. The condo itself had an older feel to it, and the bed was not overly comfortable, although we had no problem sleeping after a long day in the sun. One perk for those looking to stay in or relax, there was a DVD player and a nice TV, although there is no TV in the bedroom. The location is fantastic - while not ocean front, it is only a 3-4 minute walk to the beach, and there are a number of restaurants right there as well. Overall it was a great place to stay for the price (I paid around $100 a night) compared to hotel prices in the area which were closer to $200. Our place was comparable to friends' condos in the Wild Dunes complex, and I prefer the location of OI to Wild Dunes - closer to night life and restaurants.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LibertyLou

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
atlanta ga
Reviewed 11 September 2009

I am a young woman who just wanted to get away for the weekend, and i'm so glad i stayed at the Ocean Inn, I stayed in unit 204, and it is beautiful! I would move in, if i could!! I felt very comfortable, the place was clean and nicely decorated, I would much rather stay here than a hotel, especially if you want to make it a longer stay, the beach is right across the street and so are the shops and restaurants, if there wasn't condos built across the street you would have a perfect ocean view from the living room, (but you can still see it a little) I would definitely come back and stay here again, it's a great price for the location! I just wish I could stay here longer!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Greenville, SC
Reviewed 26 July 2009

We have been staying at Ocean Inn for around 8 years. Our favorite room is above the office, a one bedroom, one bath (and a fold out couch) unit that overlooks the pool. The room is clean, comforable, and airy with lots of windows and there is a porch right off the den area where we sit and eat breakfast and read. At night sometimes we sit out and listen to the live music from one of the area restaurants. The mosquitos, mysteriously, don't bother us up that high!

There are many stairs to get up to the room, and steps in the room that would make the stay in this particular room difficult for someone with physical disabilities, but otherwise, it is a perfect place to stay for a family of three.

Our inlaws come with us to the beach and they stay in one of the larger two bedroom units on the 1st floor. Our daughter runs between our two rooms safely.

The pool is always clean and a great way to end a day on the beach which is just a short walk away. And the many of the units allow pets!

Our favorite restaurant, Acme Cantina (great wings and burritos and a house salad dressing that keeps us coming back), is just across the street. We love that we don't need our car to get around the island and this year I rented a bike from a local store for $35 for the whole week and rode up and down the beach and all around the island.

Target, Piggly Wiggly and Massage Envy are a few miles away and there is a fresh seafood market on the island a block away that has local shrimp and a great key like pie!

For other dining during your stay:
We also recommend Sullivan's on Sullivan's Island for some downhome island cooking and Bowan's Island Restaurant for the best fried seafood we've ever had anywhere (just before Folly Beach on the right... look for a big wooden sign at the drive leading to the place). Don't go to Bowen's expecting a regular dining experience. The service is terrible but the food keeps us coming back and take your camera and go at sundown. The views are breathtaking.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank GapCreekGourmet
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 July 2009

We stayed at the Ocean Inn June 28 thru July 5th. We had a wonderful time at Isle of Palms and the Ocean Inn is a great value. The only complaint I might have is that while we were there the power was out for several hours one night and we were without air conditioning, but I think that was an electricity problem, not the fault of the owners. The issue I have is that the windows wouldn't open. Therefore It was very hot in our room. Also, they don't provide housekeeping, which I knew before I went, but I didn't know how serious they were about it. They didn't even want to give us an extra trash bag for the kitchen!

Overall, we had a pretty nice stay and we would go there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Beverly HIlls
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Both the place (Ocean Inn) and the kind staff are wonderful. I had a gorgeous vacation! It is only 300 yards from the beach and the units are clean and comfortable.
I´d whole-heartedly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank doodli
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 4 March 2009

We have been going to the Ocean Inn for years. It has really improved since converting to condos with private owners for each unit. It is an easy 1 block walk to the IOP main strip, front beach and restaurants. We really like the two bedroom units with separate kithcen and living area . We last stayed in Unit 201 which had been remodeled was clean, comfortable and included a book exchange (sweet). Can't beat the deal. Kids love the pool.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank ltlbeachlover
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 August 2008

For starters, Ocean Inn is suppose to be a non-smoking inn. Wrong! We stayed in #102 and when we opened the door it had an overwhelming smell of mold and smoke. I'm a smoker so if I think a place reaks of smoke, that's pretty bad. There was a leak on the floor above us that had soaked thru to our kitchen ceiling and had water everywhere and when we pulled the bed spread back to go to bed there were stains all over the blanket underneath. Not to mention the hair all over the tub in the bathroom. We contacted the property management thinking they'd be extremely apologetic and get everything fixed. Wrong again! The man we spoke to told us that since we were unhappy we should just go ahead and find somewhere else to stay. I couldn't believe it! Plus, we couldn't go anywhere else because everywhere else was booked solid! Oh and there were ants everywhere. Property management didn't care about that either. Awful experience. What a waste ....

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank rosepetals07
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isle of Palms
Seaside Inn
Seaside Inn
#4 of 5 in Isle of Palms
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Palms Connector
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Pa...
#10 of 24 in Mount Pleasant
Tides Folly Beach
Tides Folly Beach
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
Wyndham Garden Charleston Mount Pleasant
Homewood Suites Charleston - Mt Pleasant
Homewood Suites Charleston - Mt ...
#12 of 24 in Mount Pleasant
Shem Creek Inn
Shem Creek Inn
#9 of 24 in Mount Pleasant

Been to Ocean Inn? Share your experiences!