“A foursome with Captain Jack”

Captain Jack's Kiawah Sailing and Dolphin Watching
Ranked #1 of 10 Tours in Johns Island
Reviewed 16 August 2014

On the spur of the moment we celebrated a combined 68 of marriage. It was perfect weather and Captain Jack was entertaining, accomodating and shared anecdotes and background about the area. We sailed several times into groups of dolphins and watched them feed, frolick......and even mating.
An afternoon delight!

"edisto river"
in 7 reviews
"sailing trip"
in 5 reviews
"highly recommend this trip"
in 4 reviews
"motor"
in 5 reviews
"3hr"

Reviewed 15 August 2014

My family and I have been annually sailing with Captain Jack for over 10 years now. Every year I wonder if he can top his performance from previous experiences, and of course he always does! Just in the few hours of yearly sailing, I have gotten to know Jack as a friend and not just the captain of his boat. I can personally promise Jack is far from "lazy". Captain Jack is the fastest moving and most efficient one man sailing crew I have ever had the pleasure of sailing with! Not only are his sailing skills top notch, but he matches the skill with equal knowledge and expertise of the area. Ask him just about any question and he almost always has an answer.

Captain Jack is a great guy and an even better sailor.

You will not be disappointed with a sailing experience with Captain Jack!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Although Captain Jack was nice, he came across as lazy. We booked and paid for (in advance) a 3-hour tour, and he was 15 minutes late arriving. Then we had to wait while he prepared the boat. We left the dock 30 minutes later than we were supposed to, but he returned us to the dock after only 2.5 hours. He didn't apologize nor offer a partial refund for the 30 minutes that we didn't get (which would amount to $60). While we were out on the sailboat, he used the motor for the first 30 minutes to get us out into the deeper water, and for the last 30 minutes to get us back to the dock, even though there was plenty of wind. The motor was very loud, and not very relaxing. I just don't think he felt like tacking/jibing back and forth. So we actually "sailed" for only 1.5 hours. We have a ski boat at home, so we really wanted the sailing aspect. He would answer our questions, but didn't seem fun or like he was enjoying himself at all. Maybe he was having a bad day, but I would not recommend him to anyone.

2  Thank monk66
DolphinScout, Owner at Captain Jack's Kiawah Sailing and Dolphin Watching, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Thank for your feedback. I pride myself in not having a bad review ever, in my 22 years of charter sailing experience. I do however, always welcome the opportunity the improve my business and maintain my stellar satisfaction ratings. Perhaps I should have explained during our trip that depending on the direction of the wind, it can be necessary to use the motor at the beginning and end of the charter to navigate Bohicket Creek. I do try to maximize the time under sail. I never mind "tacking and jibing" as sailing is my personal and professional passion. I regret that you weren't satisfied with your outing and wish I had some idea during our charter that the trip didn't meet your expectations. I certainly would have done everything I could to improve your time aboard. I would like to offer you a sincere apology and of course a refund of the $60 you feel you deserve. Please call me anytime to give me your mailing address and I will promptly send a check to you.

Blue Skies and Good Air!
Captain Jack

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Jack was a great host and captain and would highly recommend him to anyone. He took time to explain and chat and would also give us as much space as we wanted. Boat was very comfortable and shaded and well maintained.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Captain Jack was friendly and informative. He has years of experience sailing and it was more than evident how comfortable he in on the water. He provided us with just the right amount of attention and privacy.

I wouldn't recommend his trip if you are looking to do a fishing trip specifically. We were able to catch and release a couple small and unique marine creatures however it wasn't quite what I had expected for a fishing charter. (please note this is not what Captain Jack specialized in just another service he offered.) We actually ended up throwing in the towel on the fishing and doing more sailing and dolphin watching for the majority of the trip. Which was perfect and my husband and I were most content with relaxing and enjoying the sites and the sailing.

Thank you Captain Jack for giving us a most enjoyable day on the water.