The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kiawah Island
Memphis, Tennessee
“Pure Bliss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Amazing views. Pure relaxation. Outdoor and indoor paradise. Phenomenal golf and food! Caddies are worth using to enhance golf experience. Ocean Room meal was amazing. Ocean course a must play. Spring and Fall probably less humidity and mosquitoes.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Goodadvice4u

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Aiken, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

....my wife and I loved The Sanctuary. There was some confusion regarding check in and delivery of gifts from family members during our first couple of hours on the property, and a missed turndown service the first night, so our first impression was not the greatest. After that though, everything was top notch. We were celebrating our 40th anniversary and were frequently recognized for that by staff members throughout our stay. We dined in the 3 main restaurants and all were very good. The beach was great, the room was beautiful. We left the Resort after 3 nights, dreaming of a return visit. Upon our return home, I sent a letter to the hotel manager just to make him aware of our difficulties at the start of our stay. He called me immediately upon receipt of my letter, asked for further details of what had happened and expressed sincere interest in correcting those issues for the future.

All in all, The Sanctuary was a wonderful place to celebrate our wedding anniversary and we will return.

Room Tip: Rooms are priced according to the view of the ocean. If you are choosing an Ocean view room, ask for...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris C
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

This resort is incredible. Between the location, the quality of rooms and the service, it is the best I have stayed in her in the States. It has pretty much any Ritz beat as far as quality and service. The "onsite" restaurants are good although a bit pricey. Which is to be expected. Sunday brunch is fabulous and I would highly recommend to include at least one in any stay. The one thing is, it is really pricey.

Stayed December 2013
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Sanctuary from August 1 through August 3 with another couple who vacation on the island frequently.

The hotel is absolutely beautiful. The attention to detail as you walk through the main entrance is reminiscent of an old southern masterpiece and it is difficult to believe that the hotel is only ten years old. From the crystal chandelier hanging from the lobby ceiling, to the creamy wood paneled walls to the wide plank walnut floors, to the aged oriental rugs....just breathtaking. The front staff is attentive and friendly and we were checked in quickly.

We had an oceanfront room on the fifth floor. The view was amazing. The king bed was comfortable, if a little too stiff. The four poster bed and hand crafted furniture are tastefully decorated. The room was impeccably clean. I loved the hamper underneath the sink in the bathroom, which adds a nice homy touch. The towels, soaps and accessories are well stocked like one would expect from a hotel of this caliber, but I do wish that they would provide some sort of independent coffee service in the room. Even some Holiday Inns have mini Keurigs in them nowadays. Ever single member of the staff was smiling and happy and willing to offer their services.

I am an avid exerciser/ runner, so I went to the fitness center even though we were only there for two nights. If I can make a suggestion, add some yoga mats to be used for people who do a lot of planks/ bridges and dead bugs such as myself. There is no place to do planks or floor exercises and I was forced to do my exercises on an exercise ball in the corner. We travel a lot and I have seen much better gym sin cheaper hotels, however I am assuming this is because there is so much to be done outside at this hotel (jogging trails, bikes, tennis, golf). We did golf at both turtle point and the ocean course and both were pristine.

We were able to enjoy a few of the restaurants on the property:
We ate at Tomasso at Turtle Point Friday night. I have to say that living in the suburbs of Chicago for the last 15 years that I have experience much better Italian. The Antipasto leaves much to be desired with burnt Ciabbata, and few pieces of meat. The Calamari was very good, and the Bruschetta good as well, but not what I would expect from a top rated restaurant. My husbands Swordfish was salty and dry and my Veal Picatta had way too much oil in it. Veal Picatta is one of my absolute favorite dishes and I was very disappointed. Our server was fantastic; knowledgable when it came to the wined list and very attentive. The atmosphere is casual and fun, but the people die down early and we easily closed the restaurant.

We enjoyed the breakfast buffet at the Jasmine Porch. I especially loved the grits and the bourbon French toast. There was also an egg/ omelet station, fresh fruit, assorted pastry (yummy chocolate croissants!), and some amazing melt in your mouth lox. Our server was very attentive, even apolojizing for taking what she deemed to be too long to get me milk for my coffee, when I didn't even notice a delay. We also ate here for dinner Saturday night. We enjoyed this dinner much more than Tomasso. I had the filet, which was melt in your mouth and came with asparagus and potatoes. I also had the She- crab soup (perfect and not at all fishy), and we enjoyed an assortment of two dozen oysters. Dessert was an assortment of southern pies, and the four shared key lime, pecan, and chocolate. All were delicious.

On Sunday we ate a quick breakfast from beaches and cream and walked down the beach to the ocean course (about 5.5 miles). A gorgeous walk. We took a timely shuttle back from the ocean course lodge and enjoyed a nice lunch at the Loggerhead Grill. The guacamole is the best there, and the fish tacos were worth the wait.

We enjoyed the pool at the loggerhead grill and found some great beach artifacts at the shops right near the hotel lobby, including a great recycled aluminum swordfish platter that we are going to put in our kitchen in Chicago. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Overall, I would definitely come back here and next time I would bring my four kids.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank newhampshire411
Bill L, General Manager at The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Newhampshire411,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor review on your recent stay in August. I'm so glad to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate your kind words and comments about the hotel. I'm thrilled to read that you purchased the aluminum swordfish platter from The Sanctuary Home Store and have a little piece of Kiawah in your kitchen in Chicago. We hope to have you and your family with us again soon!

Kind Regards,

Bill Lacey
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a beautiful hotel on a beautiful island. 3 nights was a great length; another one or two days would have been fine. The facility is very pretty. It is not super crowded and neither is the beach. Bike trails are very good. The restaurants are very good. The grill at the Ocean Course was very good, as was the lounge area at the restaurant in the hotel (outside the steak restaurant). Oceanfront room had 2 balconies, was very spacious and the room was kept immaculate by housekeeping. It is true that the place nickel and dimes you a lot. Perhaps that is because it is not very large and has to extract as much money as possible from each guest. $36 an hour for tennis; $1.74 for a banana; free coffee ends at 9 am. It is hilarious that the club room on the 5th floor charges around $225 per day. For what? That was a joke. I suggest for breakfast that you stock up at the Harris Teeter near the entrance to the resort and ask for a refrigerator. That way you can eat breakfast at a moderate price and not be stuffed for lunch. Another tip-order a salad and a fish tacos at the poolside lunch place; it will feed 2 people very amply and was very good. All in all, I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: 5th floor ocean front.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very nice resort and only 45 minutes from Charleston and the airport. Great for all ages. There are a lot of outdoor activities (golf, several water parks with slides, bike/hike trails, beaches, restaurants, pools). Great shuttle service is provided for free to anywhere in Kiawah. There are a lot of condos available for rent but be careful because there all different. We started out in a condo that was a dump and moved to The Sanctuary hotel which was very nice. Our friends stayed in a 3 bed 2 bath condo on the beach that was very nice and upscale as well. I would definitely go back again and I think it would be a great place for a family reunion.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SRSteve
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Sanctuary is a true luxury getaway. There is tremendous attention to detail and the staff is amazing. They are professional, helpful and friendly. The room we had was wonderful, upgraded to an ocean view upon check-in. Our check-in was quick and efficient and the bellman promptly brought our luggage up to our room. The hotel was spotless, including all public areas, such as restroom, hallways, carpeted areas and restaurants. We enjoyed the on-site bike rentals too. We ate at Tomasso and Cherrywood BBQ, both excellent!! The Sanctuary is truly a wonderful getaway for the entire family. On a rainy day, we went to a nearby shopping area and kept busy there. The hotel also has a wonderful gym, spa and indoor pool.
But, be prepared to spend money on everything - tipping, expensive snacks in the hotel shops (we brought our own), beach chairs and umbrellas, activities, and so on.

Room Tip: Ocean view is amazing - ask for a complimentary upgrade!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,292 reviews
The Spectator Hotel
#11 of 60 in Charleston

Been to The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort? Share your experiences!