“This is how resort should feel.”

The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kiawah Island
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“This is how resort should feel.”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I have been twice now to the Sanctuary and I must say it's one of the best hotels around. They really make you feel welcome and happy to have you. John took my bags from my car and showed me to the front desk. I asked for an ocean view room and they were able to accommodate me. The steakhouse at the resturant is awesome as well as the Sushi bar in the steakhouse lounge. The infinity pool is quiet and the wait staff really make sure you have everything you need. I used the spa as well and it was a wonderful experience. I must say if you need to unplug and just relax this place is nothing but class.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Bill L, General Manager at The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear TheKevman,

Thank you for your glowing recommendation of The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed both of your stays at the hotel and we have been able to give you a place to unwind and relax. I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Bill Lacey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Probably 4.5 stars, this is my favorite resort on the island. The beach is the highlight for us...clean, uncrowded, very relaxing. The golf and tennis are great too. The staff is very accommodating, the rooms are well maintained and appointed. The restaurants are also very good. You really don't need to leave the property. Bring bikes if you have them.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dollyamas
princeton, nj
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort is a beautiful old world type of hotel. The first thing that hits the eye is the amazingly beautiful hard wood floors. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. The beaches are just beautiful and scenic trails run throughout the island. Really pretty. The staff was helpful and eager to please. The place has that southern charm. A few things to note:
1. The trails have signs that say "Danger, Alligators" and they are not kidding. I walked the trails every day and saw small alligators every day. I was alone so it made me have to pay attention as I was walking/running. I usually like to listen to music or day dream while I run but with the alligators, I felt a bit stressed, that I had to keep my wits about me. I know that the alligators don't really bother any one, but I am not used to seeing alligators so for me it was a concern.
2. The business center is run by an outside firm, not by the hotel. This was an annoyance because I left my room to go to the business center because I needed to print something, sign it and send it back. I didn't think to bring a credit card with me. I had to go back up to the room to get a credit card. It's a bad business model that proved to be quite inconvenient for me.
3. The hotel has area that are stil sort of under construction so some things are not finished and crisp.

The hotel has done a beautiful job from an architectural standpoint. Two huge fireplaces flank the first floor lobby areas. There are large windows and doors that showcase the ocean views. Very pretty. I know that I already mentioned the hard wood floors, but they are something worth mentioning twice. They are just amazingly beautiful.

Overall, I would recommend staying at the Sanctuary and enjoying it's pretty architecture, southern charm, beautiful beaches and endless trails around the island.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lovestotravel321
Bill L, General Manager at The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Lovestotravel321,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort. I do understand that alligators can be frightening if you aren't used to seeing them but I can assure you that the alligators have never been a problem on the island. I apologize about the inconveniences you experienced in the business center and I would welcome the chance to speak with you directly should you like to discuss further. Please call me directly at the hotel at 800.654.2924. I'm happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Centralia, IL
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We recently spent six nights at The Sanctuary and, in my opinion, they lived up to their five-star reputation and awards.

Every staff member we encountered was friendly and went out of their way to provide service, to explain things, answer questions, or just give a warm greeting when passing by. The dining staff were a great group, irregardless of where we dined. The dining staff was excellent at expressing their explanations and their views/opinions of the menu items. There was NO rushed dining experience; all of our meals were very relaxing experiences with no rushed feel whatsoever. The Sunday brunch at Jasmine's Porch was exceptional in our opinion.

The room itself was nice sized, well furnished and very comfortable. We felt the bedding was great, and the remainder of the room was very relaxed and a great place to spend some time. Service on the rooms was impeccable and timely. We enjoyed a great view of the courtyard and ocean from our balcony, and I suspect that are no bad views from any room in the hotel. The hotel grounds are beautiful and very well manicured. The walkways to the beach were also well maintained and conveniently located for their purpose.

It is not an inexpensive adventure to say the least; however, one look around at the facility, activities and staff quickly remind you of the reasoning for the pricing.

We enjoyed a very relaxed and pampered stay!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, Usa
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Spent four days with our daughter and family at this spectacular hotel and golf course property. Service was thorough, attentive, but not overbearing. The golf at the Ocean Course was the first time I played with a caddie and was one of the most rewarding experiences of the weekend. If you've seen this course on tv when the PGA plays there, tv doesn't do it justice. Our dinner at the Ocean Course club house was excellent. Would return here in a minute. It is however, a bit pricey for the average vacationer.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms, although a bit higher in price are well worth it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear tmoyer2,

Thank you for your taking the time to share your recent experience at The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort. I'm thrilled to see you were able to play The Ocean Course and got to experience the PGA Championship Course first hand! I hope to welcome you and your family back with us in the future!

Kind Regards,

vienna
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Short and simple: one of the best hotels and golf resorts in the world. Amazing ambiance, great service. Food and golf are top notch.

If you can go, dont hesitate. Its a special place not to be missed.

• Stayed March 2014
Crownsville, Maryland
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We came here to enjoy the beach and resort after having stayed in Charleston for 2 days. We cut our stay short and only stayed one night and went back to Charleston. We couldn't get into our room at the time it was guaranteed. The room was nice but very small. Our 'oceanfront' room had a concrete/dryvit rail that was right in front of our face when sitting in the chairs on the balcony. We had some requests to the front desk and after multiple times asking, we never heard back from anyone. Finally, we got our bill and there was a charge I didn't recognize. When I asked at the front desk they acted like they didn't believe me. I left the desk without resolution. Instead, they 'will get back to me'. Well, if it is like other questions I had, I won't hear from them. Way over priced, felt like just another face in the crowd, not welcoming or warm at all.(This was our 20th anniversary and was supposed to be our 'relaxing' end to our trip, instead we have to pack up again and head to Charleston to the Wentworth Inn where we feel very welome.)

Room Tip: Ask for the east side or west side if you want sunrise/sunset. We walked to the beach to watch. The...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank David H
Bill L, General Manager at The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear David H,

Thank you for feedback on your stay at The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort. I am very disappointed to see that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I've also sent you a private note too asking you to call me directly to discuss. I would welcome the chance to speak to you directly should your schedule permit. Please call me directly at the hotel at 800.654.2924.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiawah Island
Tides Folly Beach
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
The Spectator Hotel
#6 of 62 in Charleston

Been to The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort? Share your experiences!