Kilburnie, the Inn at Craig Farm
Hotels.com
US$119
Holiday Motel(Fort Lawn)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsb bwalking trailsback porchbed and breakfastwonderful retreatbreakfast was delicioushydrotherapy tubyogurtjohannescrawfordaccommodationsscbathwaxhawfarmhouse
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My wife Robyn and I stayed at Kilburnie for our 18th wedding anniversary.

Johannes was OUTSTANDING! You could say he's a _master_ at providing hospitality. He went above and beyond to make our stay delicious and comfortable. You will not be disappointed with a stay at The Inn. He cares and you feel it. The house and grounds were lovely and the bed was uber-comfortable.

Make sure you allow time to hike the trails--he's got lots of acreage.

Don't hesitate... book a night at his lovely house and you won't regret it.

Peter & Robyn
Charlotte, NC

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This B&B is the most luxurious place where we stayed during our weeklong trip down the East Coast. From the moment we walked in the front door, we felt very welcomed by the innkeeper who gave us a tour and brief history of the place and showed us to our room. Visually, the inn is stylish and classy in a clean, simple way. This historical building has been redone incredibly well. I'd never have been able to envision it the way it is today based on how it looked when it was relocated from downtown Lancaster. The transformation is amazing. The place is bright, spacious in all dimensions, quiet (only sound I heard at night was a cow or bull mooing), tastefully decorated, spotlessly clean, and the food is fantastic. I wish we could have stayed longer than the few hours we were there. We stayed in the Andrew Jackson room and its whirlpool bathtub was huge and very relaxing. The bathroom itself is bigger than some cheap hotel rooms! I was not sure what to expect since my husband said he just picked this location off the Internet the day before we arrived, but it turned out to be a real winner. Since his relatives have moved to Lancaster, we'll probably be back and now we know where to stay!
The only negative thing I have to say about this place is that they don't do well with special diet restrictions. Other establishments usually offer alternatives or extra food that is edible to the person on the special diet, but this place simply omitted foods, so one ends up feeling gypped in the that regard.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Innkeeper1824, Owner at Kilburnie, the Inn at Craig Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your enthusiastic review of Kilburnie. Your impressions and appreciation mean a lot to me. I am glad that you made me realize that simply eliminating ingredients a guest is allergic to is not the way to go. I should have thought of that myself. I'll be sure that will not happen again to other guest who have restricted diets. I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Kilburnie on your next visit to Lancaster.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

There is a reason that every reviewer rates Kilburnie, the Inn at Craig Farm as "Excellent." It's because the place is absolutely perfect! Stunning, warm, immaculate, welcoming, and peaceful are just a few words to describe Kilburnie. My (formula race car driving) son and I spent two nights here on our first ever trip to South Carolina. We needed somewhere between Kershaw and Charlotte and found Kilburnie on tripadvisor. The setting is beautiful and the hospitality is "beyond." You feel so welcome; it's like arriving to your friend's country home, but you don't need to bring a gift. Kilburnie is much more than a B&B. It is really like a small luxury boutique hotel without the price tag or the "airs." And it comes with a delicious homemade gourmet breakfast. The owner, Johannes Tromp, creates a wonderful atmosphere that it is convivial, but private; elegant, but casual and easy going. It just feels good to be here. The historic house "hotel" is exceptional with large airy rooms, wood plank floors, lovely windows/views and elegant furnishings - plus fireplaces in the rooms and in the giant "en suite" bathrooms. Johannes, who is a fascinating and clearly multi-talented guy, rescued Kilburnie from complete ruin, and lovingly and meticulously relocated it piece by piece from its original location in town to where it sits now directly across from "Craig House"  - another National Register restoration gem from Johannes Tromp and John Craig. The attention to detail at Kilburnie is wonderful from the dimmer switches in the bathrooms so that you can enjoy the light of the fire while in the bath to the perfect replication of the elaborate cornices in the sitting room ceiling that were molded by hand by a local artist using local materials. Comfort details like extra pillows, lots of towels, beverages plus books and magazines to borrow abound at Kilburnie. Come here because you have business, come here for a romantic weekend, come for some time to yourself. Whatever your reason, come, because you will love being here. We can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Any room is lovely here.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2011

My husband and I were married at Kilburnie in November, 2005 and we have returned each year to celebrate our anniversary. The innkeeper, Johannes, is an impeccable host and has the gift of making you feel like you are his only guest.

The rooms are wonderful - we love the fireplace in the bathroom and jetted tubs. Johannes' gourmet breakfast is always the highlight of our stay.

The location is peaceful and idyllic and the perfect place to relax and unwind.

And yes, we already have made our reservation for visit number eight!

Room Tip: All five rooms are wonderful and all have fireplaces. We personally prefer one of the two rooms that have fireplaces in both the bedroom and bathroom.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2011

At first you see the beautiful house and a very well maintained garden and forest. Once you step in the house you will be impressed by the restoration and well chosen furniture. After meeting Johannes for the first time you will be convinced that this will be the vacation you were dreaming about. The design, the service and the exclusivity are 5 stars at least. Not to mention the breakfast, which is clearly unbeatable by any common hotel chain. We are from Germany and traveled the US on the east and west coast, and this was clearly the best hotel. We would love to come back...

Room Tip: All rooms are great. Our suggestion: Come back five times and you´ll see them all ;-)
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple