“We didn't want to leave --”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lancaster
Kilburnie, the Inn at Craig Farm
Ranked #1 of 2 Lancaster B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Kilburnie is a place where thoughts and peace can come together -- the location and quietness are almost impossible to imagine until you actually arrive; it's blissful, and wonderfully enhanced by Johannes Tromp. Kilburnie Inn and all of the surrounding area are definitely the fruition of the dreams of a visionary man and allows a person to return to regular lives much better because of the positivity that surrounds you in this setting. The landscaping has been done with such attention to detail, you know it has had to have been planned by a true artist.

The rooms are beautiful, comfortable, and every item seems to have been placed with intention! I loved it. The breakfasts were prepared beautifully and were delicious, plus improved by the conversation -- Johannes is an example of what we should all strive to be -- caring, conscientious, and appreciative of life. This was demonstrated in all of his actions, making Kilburnie a wonderfully, welcoming home. I hope we are able to return.

Room Tip: I believe any of the rooms would be wonderful. Each has it's own charm and character.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank flange030

Reviewed 21 June 2012

We've love staying at The Kilburnie. It's quiet, very clean, relaxing, and less than an hour from Charlotte. Johannes stirs up great breakfasts and wonderful conversation. We will return!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My wife and I stayed overnight just for a getaway weekend. Although it was a short excursion, we felt pampered the entire time. The inn is very clean and beautifully decorated and the grounds are gorgeous.
Johannes was a tremendous host and even though we live only 30 minutes away we will definitely be back to this relaxing and beautiful place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My wife Robyn and I stayed at Kilburnie for our 18th wedding anniversary.

Johannes was OUTSTANDING! You could say he's a _master_ at providing hospitality. He went above and beyond to make our stay delicious and comfortable. You will not be disappointed with a stay at The Inn. He cares and you feel it. The house and grounds were lovely and the bed was uber-comfortable.

Make sure you allow time to hike the trails--he's got lots of acreage.

Don't hesitate... book a night at his lovely house and you won't regret it.

Peter & Robyn
Charlotte, NC

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This B&B is the most luxurious place where we stayed during our weeklong trip down the East Coast. From the moment we walked in the front door, we felt very welcomed by the innkeeper who gave us a tour and brief history of the place and showed us to our room. Visually, the inn is stylish and classy in a clean, simple way. This historical building has been redone incredibly well. I'd never have been able to envision it the way it is today based on how it looked when it was relocated from downtown Lancaster. The transformation is amazing. The place is bright, spacious in all dimensions, quiet (only sound I heard at night was a cow or bull mooing), tastefully decorated, spotlessly clean, and the food is fantastic. I wish we could have stayed longer than the few hours we were there. We stayed in the Andrew Jackson room and its whirlpool bathtub was huge and very relaxing. The bathroom itself is bigger than some cheap hotel rooms! I was not sure what to expect since my husband said he just picked this location off the Internet the day before we arrived, but it turned out to be a real winner. Since his relatives have moved to Lancaster, we'll probably be back and now we know where to stay!
The only negative thing I have to say about this place is that they don't do well with special diet restrictions. Other establishments usually offer alternatives or extra food that is edible to the person on the special diet, but this place simply omitted foods, so one ends up feeling gypped in the that regard.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Innkeeper1824, Owner at Kilburnie, the Inn at Craig Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your enthusiastic review of Kilburnie. Your impressions and appreciation mean a lot to me. I am glad that you made me realize that simply eliminating ingredients a guest is allergic to is not the way to go. I should have thought of that myself. I'll be sure that will not happen again to other guest who have restricted diets. I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Kilburnie on your next visit to Lancaster.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

There is a reason that every reviewer rates Kilburnie, the Inn at Craig Farm as "Excellent." It's because the place is absolutely perfect! Stunning, warm, immaculate, welcoming, and peaceful are just a few words to describe Kilburnie. My (formula race car driving) son and I spent two nights here on our first ever trip to South Carolina. We needed somewhere between Kershaw and Charlotte and found Kilburnie on tripadvisor. The setting is beautiful and the hospitality is "beyond." You feel so welcome; it's like arriving to your friend's country home, but you don't need to bring a gift. Kilburnie is much more than a B&B. It is really like a small luxury boutique hotel without the price tag or the "airs." And it comes with a delicious homemade gourmet breakfast. The owner, Johannes Tromp, creates a wonderful atmosphere that it is convivial, but private; elegant, but casual and easy going. It just feels good to be here. The historic house "hotel" is exceptional with large airy rooms, wood plank floors, lovely windows/views and elegant furnishings - plus fireplaces in the rooms and in the giant "en suite" bathrooms. Johannes, who is a fascinating and clearly multi-talented guy, rescued Kilburnie from complete ruin, and lovingly and meticulously relocated it piece by piece from its original location in town to where it sits now directly across from "Craig House"  - another National Register restoration gem from Johannes Tromp and John Craig. The attention to detail at Kilburnie is wonderful from the dimmer switches in the bathrooms so that you can enjoy the light of the fire while in the bath to the perfect replication of the elaborate cornices in the sitting room ceiling that were molded by hand by a local artist using local materials. Comfort details like extra pillows, lots of towels, beverages plus books and magazines to borrow abound at Kilburnie. Come here because you have business, come here for a romantic weekend, come for some time to yourself. Whatever your reason, come, because you will love being here. We can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Any room is lovely here.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2011

My husband and I were married at Kilburnie in November, 2005 and we have returned each year to celebrate our anniversary. The innkeeper, Johannes, is an impeccable host and has the gift of making you feel like you are his only guest.

The rooms are wonderful - we love the fireplace in the bathroom and jetted tubs. Johannes' gourmet breakfast is always the highlight of our stay.

The location is peaceful and idyllic and the perfect place to relax and unwind.

And yes, we already have made our reservation for visit number eight!

Room Tip: All five rooms are wonderful and all have fireplaces. We personally prefer one of the two rooms tha...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Been to Kilburnie, the Inn at Craig Farm? Share your experiences!