“Make "Killburnie" your destination!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lancaster
Kilburnie, the Inn at Craig Farm
Ranked #1 of 2 Lancaster B&B and Inns
Jamestown
“Make "Killburnie" your destination!”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at Killburnie while attending my niece's wedding near Charlotte. I must say this will be one of our most memorable weekends ever. Not because of the wedding but because of Killburnie and the Inn Keeper Johannes Tromp.

On a gorgeous moonlight Friday evening we arrived at Killburnie and while pulling into the driveway we were amazed at the magnificent piece of architecture that stood before us with ambiance beyond ones imagination.

We were warmly greeted by the Inn Keeper Johannes who is a charming, warm, distinguished, down to earth gentleman who makes you, the guest, feel special. We stayed in the walk up suite (sitting area, fireplace, bedroom, whirlpool bath) which was a slice of heaven after a long 12 hour drive to this top notch destination.

Before we settled into our suite and headed out for dinner, Johannes gave us a brief tour of the Inn and the amenities. While doing so, he made a lovely recommendation of where to dine locally and we were not disappointed. He also made sure to ask us what time we would like to eat breakfast. When I asked him what time were the other quests dining, his reply, "it doesn't matter," this house and this time is yours so choose anytime you'd like to eat and it will be ready. I knew I loved this guy!

After a peaceful nights sleep in our luxury suite, we walked downstairs to the smell of the most fabulous breakfast ever. Juice and coffee awaited us along with a fresh warm muffin. A few minutes later out came warm peaches with a pecan topping on top of fresh cream. If that wasn't already enough, a beautiful omelet followed with mouth watering bacon cooked to perfection. After breakfast we walked around the Inn and admired the lovely decor and outstanding artwork which after talking to Johannes, all had special meaning to Killburnie.

We hate to admit it but our stay at Killburnie made the wedding seem like something we had to do and not what we came here for. We just didn't want to leave this place. The grounds are gorgeous and Johannes was kind enough to give us a tour of his residence across the road. After time spent at his home and a history lesson about the entire property surrounding Killburnie, it's easy to see why he loves what he does.

Early Saturday evening we did make it to the wedding and enjoyed time with family while witnessing the marriage of our niece. Every now and again during the reception we would find ourselves glancing at our watches just to be sure we would still have time to enjoy our last evening at Killburnie. The 32 minute ride back seemed to take forever but the thought of pulling in the driveway and the next morning's "to die for" breakfast, it was worth it.

Our hats are off to you Johannes! It was a pleasure staying at Killburnie and we are appreciative that you took the time to get to know us even though it was a short stay.

Fondly,
MaryAnn & Mark Alpaugh

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JustaMini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Have stayed at Kilburnie several times and every time it is immaculate. Johannes is the perfect host. It is alway nice to be around someone who loves what they do and I don't think I have ever seen any one better suited for doing what needs to be done at a B&B.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Doug B
South Daytona, Florida
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I have been traveling to Lancaster to visit a client for a few years now, and have always stayed 25 minutes away at a hotel in Pineville. I had heard about Kilburnie, but had never stayed. What a mistake! For this last trip, I made a point to book a room for myself for 2 nights, and a co-worker booked for 1 night. As there were no main bedrooms available for both nights of my stay, the wonderful owner, Johannes, offered to book me in to the walk-up suite for both nights at a regular room rate to avoid me from having to move from one room to another mid-stay. It was wonderful! Everything about the suite was top-notch...comfortable temperature control, comfy bed, comfy linens...and that whirlpool tub! With that said, I did tour most of the main rooms, and while not as sprawling as the suite, they are plenty big and equally beautiful! My co-worker reports that she was very comfortable in her room, too...although she did not take the opportunity to experience the wonderful tub. The location is very quiet. Not just the country location, but you honestly cannot hear the other guests. Johannes did a magnificent job ensuring privacy as well as comfort when he moved and renovated this beautiful home. Be sure to visit the website to read the story about the Inn, the farm and Johannes. He will give you a tour that he no doubt has given a thousand times, but he makes you feel like the first he has given. It will be as detailed or brief as you want it to be. He is energetic, enthusiastic and one of the most genuinely nice people I have ever met! You can tell he likes people, and he will be glad to spend time talking with you...or to simply let you do your own thing, whatever you choose. Kilburnie truly does feel like YOUR home away from home, and Johannes is like extended family...the really cool kind you want to visit! And breakfast...oh my goodness! So, so yummy. Johannes is a pro, for sure. Nothing pre-prepared here...all fresh, hot and extremely tasty. I can tell you I will stay here anytime I am visiting clients within a 30 minute drive from Kilburnie...my co-worker already booked 2 nights for her trip to see clients in the Pineville area just the week after our initial stay. As far as a pleasure visit...there is nothing to do in Lancaster. So, if you are looking for some romantic time away, and/or some time to be quiet and enjoy the country, this is a great place. If you are not opposed to a drive to surrounding areas (Charlotte, Waxhaw, other historic sites), do yourself a favor and stay here. If you find yourself planning a road trip that will take you anywhere within 30 miles of Kilburnie and you won't have to rush off in the morning, make plans to stay here. You will not regret it.

Room Tip: I really don't think you can go wrong with any room at this Inn!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MrsEasterday
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

We booked this property for a couple of nights after a flight into Charlotte. We were looking for a quiet country place to recover from the journey and where we could get used to driving our hire car. Kilburnie delivered on our expectations in spades. It is a beautiful property in a peaceful part of South Carolina. Johannes was a wonderful host justifiably proud of Kilburnie and his own house opposite that he generously allows guests to visit. He is also an excellent cook and his breakfasts were absolutely superb. There are large grounds to explore and we saw lots of wildlife including a tortoise. So if you want a quiet country Inn, with superb accommodation and great breakfasts Kilburnie will meet your requirements. If you want flat screen televisions; DVD players (it was the first time I had rewound a video tape in years) and fast Internet; (the connection only worked in half of our room!) then you will be disappointed. Our only criticism would be the absence of a guest coffee making facility. But if we ever fly into Charlotte again we will book Kilburnie again like a shot.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Spwells2002
East Coast, USA
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Although off the beaten path, this lovely historic property in the South Carolina countryside is near enough to Charlotte, NC to be an easy commute. The innkeeper greeted us and offered us a tour of the B&B and property across the street which accommodates larger scale events, including weddings. The latter has a lovely garden with a large portico and spacious patio area. The art,furnishings, and materials used in the B&B and his home are of great interest. The kitchen in the adjacent home features butcher block style counter tops of very old heart pine wood recovered from the Cape Fear River in salvage operations. A newly refurbished recycling center will soon be featured in Southern Living magazine. Local artisans were employed in the restoration of the B&B.
One nice thing is that he negotiated with us the time to serve breakfast so we could arrive at a nearby morning business event in a timely way. After a day away when the rain was very heavy, he welcomed us with tea and muffins. Altogether, this was a very pleasant respite in a superbly restored home. We felt 'at home' and would return there. There are walking trails we would like to explore.

Room Tip: The Anne Beard Crawford room has a walk out porch with rockers and the room has comfortable chairs.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank orchidlovr
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Such a pleasure staying at a well kept B&B. A lot of very nice period pieces throughout the property. We have always stayed at B&B's and this one is at the top of our best stays. Johannes made our stay very comfortable and truely relaxing. We went for an hour hike the first day of our stay on the vast 400 acre farm. I would not hessitate recommending at least a few nights stay here!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank 86corv
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I am a richer person for visiting Kilburnie. Who would have thought that such a gem would be nestled in Lancaster, SC? This is a destination worth going to. Full of history, warm, caring hospitality, great food, and a truly wonderful historical setting.

When we arrived, we were greeted warmly by Johannes Tromp, the kind owner and innkeeper. He gave us a fascinating tour of every room of the house (no other guests were checked in yet, so we had the run of the house), describing the rich history of each room, the furniture, the artwork on the walls. This is a host who is passionate about this Inn and its history, and he shares it in such an interesting and open manner.

The rooms are beautiful. Each room is carefully designed, equipped with modern conveniences, yet very much keeping with the historical context of the home. Fireplaces about. Antique and new handcrafted furniture make each room special. Whirlpools, tubs, balconies... so relaxing and warm.

The hotel is set in over 400 acres of lawns, pastures, and woodland. Walking trails, complete with wooden bridges of the brook, lead from the house. You can walk for hours and never leave the property.

Johannes is a world-class chef, and his breakfast is fantastic. This alone is worth the journey....

If you have time, delve into the history of the Inn with him. This is a labor of love. He found a striking historical house about to be demolished, transported it to the grounds, and lovingly rebuilt it, using local craftsmen to restore or recreate its antique splendor. Fine details extend from roof to ground. I can only imagine what this cost, both in money and in effort.

You can see the investments of love, labor and money he continues to make in the inn; he is creating a new formal lawn, flanked by tall trees. These trees will reach the desired height and bulk when they are 30 years old, and every year he trims them meticulously to create the shape he wants a couple decades from now.

I travel a lot (as you can see from the number of reviews I've written, a moderate subset of the places visited), and I have never met a host which such kindness and hospitality. His concern for his guest's comfort, relaxation, and well being sets this inn apart from everywhere I've been.

If you are looking for a place of natural and historical beauty to relax, come here. Soon.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sc43
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Quality Inn Lancaster
The Ballantyne, Charlotte
The Ballantyne, Charlotte
#8 of 178 in Charlotte
Wingate by Wyndham Rock Hill / Charlotte / Metro Area

Been to Kilburnie, the Inn at Craig Farm? Share your experiences!