“Great place for us to stay with our dogs.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Landrum
Barking Fox Farm Guest House
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Barbara and Bill are wonderful hosts. They truly love people and dogs! They were helpful with everything; directions, hiking, shopping, points of interest, and restaurants.

The accommodations were excellent! We could cook and eat-in if desired, but town with it's restaurants, was close-by. The beds ( we've stayed in both of the cottages) were more comfortable than anywhere else we've stayed It was extremely tranquil, and the views of the mountains and pastures, with horses, deer, wild turkeys, pileated woodpeckers, and bluebirds was a daily treat!

We would stay there again, and highly recommend this bed and breakfast!

Room Tip: Both rooms are great!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank nancy o
411Barbaras, Owner at Barking Fox Farm Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. We really enjoyed your stay with us! You are the ideal guests.Tex and Cody are such little sweethearts. It was such fun to have your four legged little boys come to greet us every day.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

What a wonder weekend with our four legged family member . Barbara couldn’t have been nicer and even provides doggie beds, bowls and biscuits. When we made our reservation she asked for dog size so everything would be the appropriate size for our dog. Cottage was furnished with beautiful antiques and very clean. The area is dog friendly, two restaurants even allow dogs with patio dining. The scenery on the farm is wonderful and very peaceful watching the horses graze. Highly recommend with or without a dog.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Janice E
411Barbaras, Owner at Barking Fox Farm Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2012

Thank you for writing such a lovely review. We enjoyed having you and your four legged family member. We hope that you can return someday.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed here back in April. The location is between the towns of Tryon and Landrum. It took us two or three turns to find it as its well hidden. The accomodation was very pretty but the room was not as clean as I would have hoped. The owner had been having some medical issues so that may have accounted for the less than clean site but if that's the case she should have had outside help come in. Other people don't seem to have said the same so perhaps it was an "off" week but I wouldn't chance it again.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank metrowmn
411Barbaras, Owner at Barking Fox Farm Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

We are completely confused. This guest's review shows that she is from New York. We checked our guest register and have had no guests from New York in the months of March, April or May. She also stated that I had some medical issues in April. That is not true. Also she states that the room was not as clean as she would have hoped, but doesn't mention what was wrong. Again confused we do not rent rooms, only complete cottages. We also looked through our guestbooks in both cottages for the months of March, April and May and they contained only positive comments. Perhaps the guest has confused us with another B&B. She said that she stayed in April, but didn't write the review until the middle of August. I hope that is the case as we really want guests to have a wonderful, enjoyable and relaxing visit.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

My daughter and I stayed there for two weeks for a horse show. What a wonderful place to stay. The hosts were extremely nice and helpful. We really loved the view from our cottage that overlooked the pasture with grazing horses. Deer were a common sight in the fields. The inside of the cottage was impeccable and the price very reasonable. We loved the antiques. We plan on returning next year.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Kristy F

Thank you for your kind review. You and your daughter were such a joy to have visiting for two weeks. Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

My husband I had such a pleasant weekend. The setting is a nice and quiet farm scene with horses. The guest house is very clean and decorated with antiques. Hosts were very pleasant and gave us good advice on where to go during our weekend stay. We would highly recommend this place to anyone.

4  Thank Holly H

Thank you for your kind review. Sooo glad that you had a relaxing weekend and enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

My Husband and I spent a most relaxing and ejoyable weekend at Barking Fox Farm.
Beautiful antiques, spotlessly clean, even their barn was spotless. Great value. Hosts couldn't have been nicer. We loved sitting out on the deck and watching the ten horses graze in the evening. We also saw a fox run across the pasture. Highly recommend to anyone that wants quiet relaxation.We plan to return in October to see the leaves.

Room Tip: Either cottage is nice. We chose the one with the deck.
5  Thank Raymond H

Thank you for the lively review.Looking forward to your October visit.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Normally I would just let a bad experience go and count it up to live and learn, but this was too bad to let go. I feel that if i can keep someone else from having to experience what we did then I should do it. Let me start with the good. The place is in a nice location outside of town and is quiet and pretty. That is it. Now for the bad. The first thing we noticed when we arrived was that the room was not clean. There was dirt and trash on the kitchen and living room floor where it had not been swept or vacuumed. There were cobwebs in the windows. (I killed two nasty looking spiders while we were there-one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom.) Mind you none of this was bad, just not what you would expect to find. The biggest problem was the air conditioning was not working properly and it was in the mid 90s. The room was very warm and stuffy. The owners said they would call a repairman and try to get it checked out. They told us they had been having problems with the ac for three years. My first thought was if it has been not working for three years why hasnt it been fixed before now? Anyway, the repairman came later that day. The first thing he checked were the filters. One was dirty, the other was completely stopped up where it had not been changed. He checked the freon level and adjusted it. While he was there working my wife and I left and drove into town trying to find somewhere cool to wait. We came back and the owners told us everything was fixed. It was still uncomfortable in the room but we thought it would cool in a while. We spent the first night there and by morning it was cool and comfortable in the room. We thought all was well for the remainder of our stay. About 9 that morning we noticed the temperature started climbing in the room. We called the owners and told them the ac was still not working properly. They said they would call the repairman again. A while later, they called back and said the repairman said there was nothing else he could do. We told them we were going into town for a while and when we returned, if the temperature was still climbing, we would be leaving. While we were in town, the owner called my wifes cell phone and said she had someone else wanting to rent the room for two weeks and it would be fine if we wanted to leave. We thought this odd. It almost sounded like they wanted us to leave. When we returned to the room, the temperature was still climbing in the room, so we decided to leave. I was getting my phone to call the owners and tell them of our decision when they showed up at our front door. They told us they were sorry we werent comfortable in the room and we could go . Mind you we had not even had the chance to tell them yet that we had decided to leave. I told them that with the ac not working we did not have any other choice but to leave. They said that heat pumps work that way-they do not hold a steady temperature in hot weather. I explained that we had a heat pump at our home and the inside temperature never varied regardless of the outside temperature. They started getting very agitated and rushing us to get out so they could begin getting the room ready for their other guests. My wife and I were trying to get our things together as quickly as we could while the owners kept making snide remarks. My wife was in the bedroom packing our bag when I heard the owner literally screaming at her to "get out of my house and off of my property." When I went in and asked what was going on my wife said that she had mentioned to the owner that the place was not as clean as it should be and she had gone ballistic. We were grabbing things and going out with them without even trying to pack while the owners were picking our things up and carrying them outside on the front porch`(which was crawling with ants). These people have some problems. If you are staying in the area, find somewhere else. There are other places close by (Red Horse Inn for one) that are nicer and the people actually treat you well. We have stayed in bed and breakfasts for years and this is our first bad experience. And by bad, I mean really bad. Again, STAY AWAY!!

6  Thank drenuf
411Barbaras, Owner at Barking Fox Farm Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

We are so sorry that we couldn't please this guest. The guests arrived about two hours before check in time with no advance notice to us. There was no extra charge to the guests. The guest seemed very disgruntled the moment she arrived. (The husband made the arrangements to surprise the wife. The wife was obviously not happy with his choice of surprises to stay on a horse farm). They then proceeded to the cottage and she immediately went to the thermostat.. It read 72, she said that " 72 doesn't meet our standards". She wanted the temperature to be 70 at all times.This took place during the July heat wave where the temperatures outside reached 107. Trying to please the guests we called the air conditioning repairman, who arrived in one hour. We paid him $169.00 (urgent call rate). The filters were checked and found to be clean, The air conditioning unit was also found to be in good working order.He also tried to explain to the guests that with the temperature 107 outside it would be impossible to maintain 70 inside. They insisted that they keep their house at 70 no matter what the outside temperature was.

They stayed that night. She called at 9:30 A.M. the next morning and stated the temperature had dropped to 70 overnight (the outside temperature also dropped to 88), but at the time of the phone call the temperature had again risen to 72. She again stated that 72 was totally unacceptable to them and they wanted to check out. We said that would be fine we only charged them with the one night deposit. When we looked toward the cottage their car was gone. We went down thinking that they had departed, but when we looked through the window we saw their belongings were still there. By 1:00 P.M. they had not returned. I called her cell phone.She said that they were eating and she couldn't hear so had to step outside the restaurant to hear. It seemed that her husband had not been privy to her phone conversations with me. I asked if it was still their decision to leave and not stay another night. She said yes. I then explained to her that check out time is 10:00 A.M. and they couldn't stay another night free. I also told her that since they were leaving we had other guests that wanted to check in. They finally returned at 2:00 P.M. She was even more negative upon their return. What really made her furious is the fact that I told her they couldn't stay all day without paying for another night. I again said we were really sorry that they were unhappy, but they really must leave. She came about one foot from my face and said "why don't you shut your mouth".

There were no ants on the deck as it is regularly sprayed for bugs. The floors are tile, with oriental rugs. There was absolutely no trash or dirt on the oriental rugs or floors. Are guests are fantastic people and wouldn't leave trash or dirt on the floors. Even it they did each cottage is thoroughly cleaned after each guest, the bathrooms sanitized and the rugs and floors vacuumed.
The only mess in the cottage was in the kitchen sink. It was not there when the guests arrived, but was discovered upon their departure. The bottle of complimentary wine was empty in the sink along with two broken wine glasses.

We are really sad that we couldn't please these guests. We tried to do our best, the air conditioning man was called, they checked in two hours early and stayed until 2:00 P.M. the second day. All at no charge. I think the reason that she wanted to stay most of the day is because the new facility charges for early check-in. When they said they wanted to leave after one night we also said O.K. still trying to do what they wanted.

We are so disappointed that these guests would use TripAdvisor as their forum to make untrue statements

We really strive to give people the joy that we feel living on a horse farm.

Been to Barking Fox Farm Guest House? Share your experiences!