“Perfect Mother's Day Meal”

Southside Smokehouse & Grille
Ranked #3 of 19 Restaurants in Landrum
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Cajun & Creole, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Situated just slightly off the main street of downtown Landrum, Southside Smokehouse is more than the name suggests. Though great barbecue is a staple of our menu we also offer burgers, steaks, Cajun/Creole cuisine and now our new locally sourced, globally inspired menu from chef Sarah McClure. Featuring items like cripsy pork loin Milanese with cilantro rice, orange salsa, and smoked paprika crema and the "Figgy Pig," Landrum's new favorite sandwich with smoke pork loin, ham, arugula, fontina cheese and local figs on crusty French bread. We offer a full bar with many daily drink specials.
Tryon, North Carolina
“Perfect Mother's Day Meal”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

When your 90+ year old mother says the brunch she had at Southside was "the best Mother's Day meal I ever ate!" that is big kudos to Chef Sarah.( Especially given that this guest is a gluten free vegetarian.) A wonderful plate was put together with fried green tomatoes covered with pimento cheese, creamy scrambled eggs, sauted potatos and yellow grits. The presentation was lovely and we all appreciated having Southside open for this special day.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank LoyalE

Greer, South Carolina
“Definitely on the "When can I go again?" list”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

For starters I had a Pina Asada Margarita made with charred pineapple, chipotle salt, cilantro and silver tequila, and a friend had a divine beverage called The Bee's Knees. I'm here to tell you, I could have easily drunk a whole gallon of those margaritas.

Picking entrees was tough because all of them looked tasty, and I ended up with the shrimp and grits. Yummo! I couldn't eat all of it since I'd scarfed down fried pickles and alligator bites for appetizers. Friends had delicious smoked chicken, seared kale (with some magical balsamic goodness on it), catfish tacos, a tasty burger, and perfectly roasted sweet potatoes.

All four of us agree that we will definitely go back to Southside Smokehouse and we better not catch each other going without all of us.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Amyk710
Tryon, North Carolina
“Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Being a true Cajun I can say that the Shimp Poboy and fried oysters are good. Avoid the Jambalaya, gumbo, and Red Beans and rice.....they taste like nothing cooked in south Louisiana and the jambalaya and gumbo are actually really bad. It is a great place to sit and eat with friends. The staff is friendly and the atmosphere is great. You wouldn't believe it viewing the building from the outside. I will be back to eat there as we have not tried the BBQ yet. If they would ask I would teach them how to make Red Beans and rice just like you will eat every Monday for lunch in the restaurants of New Orleans..ie Antoine's, Court of the Three Sisters, Commanders Palace, Galatoire's etc etc. What makes the gumbo bad is they are using smoked chicken and not enough roux. Also it is greasy. The jambalaya doesn't resemble jambalaya nor does it taste like jambalaya. Whether the most popular version in Louisiana the Cajun style or the tomato creole style. The do carry Abita beer which is a great Louisiana brew. I had a feeling going in that the Cajun food was going to be iffy it usually is when you leave Louisiana however the shrimp poboy was good. It could have used about 4 more shrimp on it but they were fried perfectly and the size for the price was fine. The hand-cut french fries were obviously fresh cut thats why there did not hold their crispiness. There is a trick to using hand-cut fries which I do not believe they incorporate. My wife said her fried oysters were also fried perfectly and she would order them again.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank SteveF50
mccluresm, Manager at Southside Smokehouse & Grille, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
I'm glad you enjoyed your po-boy. You know jambalaya is much like paella, there are as many different versions as there are grandmothers in Lousianna. Every version I have ever had has been very similar to ours though often with the additon of seafood and or tomatoes. We choose not to add seafood to ours for cost reasons. It is one of our most popular dishes as it stands and we like to keep it affordable. Our recipe is based on several that we have collected in our travels to New Orleans and the surrounding area particularly ones that can be found in Paul Prudhomes's cookbooks and the Picayunes Creole Cook Book. Our red beans and rice are "our take" on red beans, we add onions and peppers and celery and jazz them up a bit more than is traditional and we think they are delicious, though if you are used to a more simple red beans and rice they might not suit your palate. Same for our gumbo, we like to use the smoked chicken to give it our own twist but if you are looking for a more traditional taste, keep an eye out for when I make my special gumbo! We had it for Mardi Gras and everyone really loved it. If you are intersted in sharing a recipe with us bring one when you come try to barbecue, we are always interested in comparing notes with fellow foodies :-)
Landrum, South Carolina
“"smoking" house”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Living in Landrum does have it's advantages, and Southside Smokehouse is one of them. Hot. But not too hot. Unless you want it too hot. Very easy to get overstuffed here. They also offer dishes not usually found in a lot of BBQ restaurants. Jambalaya, red beans and rice. VERY good food and plenty of it. Casual and close to the fire dept. if it gets too hot. As far as "spicey" goes, better not bite off more than you can handle. I've seen sweat break out on some faces in there. Start slow and work your way up.

• Visited March 2014
“From a barbecue expert”
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I am not sure which restaurant the gentleman who wrote a review on February 23 went to. First of all, hotrod the barbecue chicken and thought it was the best I've ever had between Virginia and Charleston. Secondly, if he wanted breast meat why did he not order the bone-in breast option? I think Southside's strength is in the homemade sauces – especially the mustard-based one. I have been to barbecue places all over Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. I would rate Southside as one of the best.

1 Thank Remleyc