“Wonderful Weekend.”
Review of The Red Horse Inn

The Red Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Landrum B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 February 2013

My husband and I spend the weekend here after we got married. The little cottage was super cute and cozy. We had a stay in pizza night and they brought it to the cottage along with dessert and there was breakfast for each day. I would recommend to anyone looking for a short trip not to far from home!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wanttotravel2012
There are newer reviews for The Red Horse Inn

Reviewed 2 February 2013

"...than to be in Carolina in the morning", unless it's to be in S. Carolina at the Red Horse Inn!!! Just recently became a tripadvisor member, and wanted to add a review because both of our visits to The Red Horse Inn were fabulous! We have stayed in the Gable room twice, decor is so romantic, bathroom is huge and beautiful with a big jacuzzi tub, cozy robes. Loved standing out on the balcony that looks out over the horse pasture with a beautiful view of the Blue Ridge mountains. There was delicious pre-prepared breakfast in the mini-fridge each morning, accompanied by OJ and champagne! Also a nice selection of books in the room, it's just perfect! Mary and Roger have thought of everything, it really is a haven for those who just want to get away from it all! Chilled champagne and roses in the room, you can't go wrong at The Red Horse Inn! Landrum is also a quaint little town, just a short drive from the Inn, and we enjoyed delicious meals at four of the restaurants there; Stone Soup, Persimmons, and the Lake Lanier Tea House (which is a further drive), and the Hare and Hound pub. Can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our two trips to The Red Horse Inn, and we'll be back to check out one of the cottages there soon!
On another note: Mary and Roger have a fabulous BIG black standard poodle, we fell in love with the breed when we visited the Inn. Then we came back home (live within 2 hours of the Inn), found a breeder, and got our own Standard boy! He is amazing, we are crazy about him, and will probably take him with us when we go back to the Inn!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Colleen T
Reviewed 20 November 2012

The Red Horse is even more beautiful than the pictures indicate. We spent a long weekend in the Granary Cottage and can't say enough how wonderful it was. The setting is peaceful and magical, and Mary and Roger left no detail unattended. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Kris S
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My husband & I recently stayed at The Red Horse Inn for 2 nights and loved it. We stayed in the main house in the The Gable room which is beautiful. We had a little balcony that has a great view of the mountains and fields. The room has a little closet kitchen complete with coffee maker, microwave, and small fridge. The inn places your breakfast in the little fridge so that you can eat in your room or, in our case, you can also eat on the balcony. The bathroom is very large and everything is extremely clean & fresh. The owners are very welcoming and on our 2nd night fixed us a pizza which we ate in our room as we were tired from sightseeing all day. The inn also provides a "guide" for things to see in the area and it kept us more than busy all day. Lots of things to see in the area - from a covered bridge, another bridge which is the oldest in S.C., wineries, hiking to various waterfalls and lots more. The inn is in the middle of S.C. horse country so there are a lot of horse farms around and we enjoyed our visit with the Inn's horse who is Secretariat's (of Triple Crown fame) great-grandaughter. The inn and our room were very romantic and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StormNik
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We chose this wonderful venue for our wedding. We travelled all the way from the Uk to find everything exceeded our expectations. We were so pleased with every little detail, and our hosts could not have been more welcoming.
We will revisit and we would advise anyone looking for the perfect romantic place to marry or enjoy a special occasion or anniversary to get along to the Red Horse Inn, you will not be disappointed we can assure you of that

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JCMWirral_
Reviewed 27 September 2012

The Red Horse Inn was just what we needed, just when we needed it. When we got off the interstate and started driving through horse country (who knew South Carolina had horse country?), we thought we were in the right place. When we drove up the drive and saw the Inn, we knew it was right. The view was incredible. Situated in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, we felt surrounded by peace, quiet, and beauty - a beauty that was only enhanced as the sun set behind the mountains.
The beauty, peach, and quiet followed us inside and were joined by coziness. Everything in our rooms was so pretty and comfortable that I couldn't do anything but relax and release the tensions of travel. The peace was so pervasive that it was always a surprise to run into other guests.
And then I ran into my favorite surprise - I saw Secret run through a pasture and then disappear. So of course I had to explre to see if she was real or if I had imagined her. I was almost convinced she was a figment of my imagination when I only found an empty pasture leading to a seemingly empty barn. And then I clicked my tongue and she appeared out of the barn - like magic. And she spoke to me.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle W
Reviewed 23 September 2012

My husband and I have been together for over 15 years and we have been on many vacations. I am an attorney turned pre-med student and he is a property manager for over ten years. I mention that not for any reason other than to tell you that we can't help but pay particular attention to detail. We have been trained to do so and it's a curse at times. Haha.

Despite that we've been on many vacations, none of them were recent, just the two of us, or at an inn. My husband is EXTREMELY picky about cleanliness to the point where he will literally walk out of a place, throwing away our money, if it is not what was promised. He actually insists on bringing his own set of sheets and towels everywhere we go just in case. Because he is a property manager, he is very hard to please when it comes to places to stay on vacation. He expects owners to care for their properties the same way he does his and he will notice the tiniest tear in the carpet and make it a huge deal. Things like hearing other guests from our room, not up to par views, cheap linens, bad food, poorly maintained whirlpools, hot tubs and jacuzzis, cheap furniture, poor room layouts, bad heating and lighting, drive him absolutely crazy!!

When I was planning our 15th anniversary celebration, we were both extremely stressed out. To help out his family, we bought and live in a two-family duplex which we share with five other family members and have shared our home with as many as ten other people throughout the years. There is no such thing as quiet in our lives as a result. In addition, we have two small dogs, demanding academic and professional responsibilities, have both battled serious health issues, and haven't had a vacation ALONE together in about 7 years. So, when I was planning our anniversary vacation, I had to choose a place that would meet my husband's very high expectations, satisfy our desperate need for some rest and relaxation, and be memorable enough to make up for the past several years of no alone time. No pressure at all, right?

I spent several weeks researching different places and finally came across The Red Horse Inn. From what I've heard about inns, it can be spectacular or dreadful. I was incredibly skeptical. However, I read the other reviews and saw that it earned the 4 diamond award from AAA as well as so many others distinctions for top romantic getaways. I did not find really read anything negative and found much positive feedback. Despite that, I was still skeptical. See, I told you it is a curse. I decided to give them a call and explain the reservations I had about staying in a inn and what I was really looking for. The owner Mary personally answered the phone, as her and her husband Roger always do, and explained everything in amazing detail. When we arrived, she showed us that she walks around with a cell phone so that she is sure she can be reached at any time. She meant that because each time we called we were able to reach her. Nevertheless, we aren't at that part yet. At this point in our story, I was still being silly and hesitating to visit this place that is in a league of its own. Mary helped me choose the room that was best suited for us. In speaking with her, she explained in great detail how the inn was designed, the beautiful acres of land which she owns and the property is on, why she thought the room I stayed in was best for what I wanted, and addressed my incredibly picky dietary needs. When I hung up the phone, I was impressed by the level of detail she provided. I had never before spoken to someone who I felt was more specific about things than I was. That's an amazing compliment considering the fact that I'm 33 and have worked with high powered NY attorneys who are famous for being a pain in the neck!!! I was literally floored by how much she cared about her property and how much thought she put into things. I was also astonished that I could actually tell how dedicated she was to providing her guests with a great vacation based on our phone conversation. I have no idea how she managed to do that but her sincerity was obvious. One of the other things that caught my attention was the fact that she gave me a discount when I didn't ask for one, recommended a cheaper room than what I was looking at because she thought it was more romantic, and told me about a second AAA discount which I didn't even know about. She explained that she didn't think her guests should have to pay a ton of money to enjoy themselves. She acknowledged that she realized she was cheaper than other places but was just happy to make others happy. I thought either this lady is completely crazy, a great actress or one of the few business owners who actually still took pride in their work and cared on a very human level that their guests were happy. I'd soon find out that it was the later but at that point I was at least impressed with the fact that she said that.

I spoke to my husband about Mary and what I saw on the website. I told him, honey, you are not going to believe this but I think I've found a woman that may just be more detailed orientated and dedicated to her work than the both of us combined. My husband said that is just not possible. I said oh yes it is. He said ok well I have to see this for myself and it sounds perfect. I called Mary back and we made our reservation to stay in the room she suggested, the Gable Room, also known as in my book as heaven on earth.

When we arrived, Mary was waiting and personally greeted us. Although she had already given us an itinerary of things to do by email when we made the reservation, she made further suggestions to make sure we had lots to choose from. It was raining that day so she pointed out that she had extra umbrellas for her guests and that we may grab one if we needed. I mean, who does that? We had our own but I thought oh my goodness, how nice of her. She also had what seemed like 100 movies for us to borrow if we wanted to and she handed us one to watch that we discussed over the phone. She then personally walked us to our room.

There is a private entrance staircase which leads up to the Gable room. The entrance itself is so pretty. There is lots to see right there. There is a small coy pond surrounded by beautiful trees and flowers and classical music playing softly in the background. We proceeded up the stairs to notice that there was a welcome note on the door with both of our names on it. We thought that was incredibly sweet but that was only the first of many surprises. I will not tell you all of them only because I don't want to ruin the pleasure you will experience by having seeing it firsthand. Sufficient to say, Mary and Roger think of everything and then some!!!! When she opened the door to Gable, my heart literally skipped a beat and my jaw dropped. Folks understand, I'm not easily impressed so that reaction from me is extremely good. The furniture, linens, bed, and well everything, was absolutely beautiful and a reflection of someone with impeccable taste. Even the bathroom was a place to see. We actually had a 15 minute conservation with Mary in there and completely forgot we were standing in a bathroom because it was huge, spotless and beautiful!! I probably could live in there. The pictures on her website do it NO justice whatsoever. Unlike most destinations, the Red Horse Inn actually looks 3,000 times better in person. Mary slowly walked us through everything and showed us where things were including the breakfast items that were frozen and ready for us to heat up in the morning. I know how that may sound to some people. For those people, it is not some processed garbage. It is delicious, homemade gourmet food that hits the spot!! In addition to that, there was a coffee maker with the water already in there, a carafe of freshly squeezed orange juice, oatmeal, muffins and fruits. There were also so many other little touches, which I will keep to myself as some amazing surprises for you, that help set the tone for the perfect romantic celebration. There was a private balcony which Mary showed us overlooks the most spectacular view of the mountains, greenery and her beautiful horse, Secret, who I somehow managed to fall in love with in two days and could see grazing early in the morning after I was done watching the magical sunrise. After Mary made sure we were settled she then excused herself and I turned to my husband and said well what do you think? Did I do good? He said, "I'm impressed. You did really good. This place is just perfect. I actually can't find anything wrong and even if I could it wouldn't matter because everything else is just so nice. She really does think of everything. Finally, a business owner who cares. This is how things SHOULD be." He then laid down and with no hesitancy whatsoever took a nap from the long drive. This may not sounds like a big deal, but it is. I have never ever EVER in 15 years seen my husband lie on a guest room bed without thinking about it, complaining for several minutes or like I said in extreme cases changing the sheets. He also for the first time in his life (he's 35) got into the whirlpool for a wonderful bath. He said I have no doubt it is clean so I figured for once I can enjoy myself. I smiled and secretly thought to myself thank you Mary and Roger!

Every minute spent at the Red Horse Inn was more than worth the money. It was peaceful, quiet, beautiful and there is just such a calming aura to this place that you can't help but relax. Seriously, go there and just try to be stressed. I bet you'll find it nearly, if not actually, impossible after a day there. When we woke up, we enjoyed the breakfast left for us feeling refreshed after a good night sleep on such a comfortable bed. Because we were so impressed with the place, we decided to go to the waterfalls and bridges that Mary suggested we visit. She was on the money about her recommendations too. We are outdoorsy people and had the most wonderful time hiking, talking and soaking in some nature. We came back to find more surprises in our room waiting for us along with the chocolate truffles that Mary was nice enough to put together on a moments notice at my request.

It is a magical place to spend any romantic getaway and I would dare you to find anything even close to its perfection. More than that, it is just a magical place period. I could easily see myself going there for different reasons like to write, study, or to reconnect with an old friend or family member. The list is just endless. The only thing this place is not, however, is a place for rowdy, rude and noisy guests who make it impossible for everyone else to be comfortable. I just cannot say enough about The Red Horse Inn. You will notice the title of my review. I called it that because that is how we described it when we were there and there is a song "Heaven is Here" which became the theme song of our vacation. There were only two downsides. One, sadly, we had to leave. Two, I think this place may have just spoiled me for all other places. However, that is just fine with me because we have agreed to make it our yearly tradition. We loved it so much that the first thing that we did when we got home was rave to the other couples we knew about it. Seriously, we did that BEFORE we unpacked. Actually, we did that on the drive home!! We could not wait for others that we loved to have a chance to share this experience.

Don't be silly like I was. STAY HERE!!! Get off Trip Advisor. Stop looking. Book your stay right now. If they don't have your dates available, change your dates and go here anyway. This is not just another place to stay on vacation. It is an incomparable, treasurable, unique experience that will provide you will warm, wonderful memories for years to come!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachael B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landrum
Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville
1906 Pine Crest Inn
#1 of 2 in Tryon
Glassy View Bed and Breakfast
Saluda Mountain Lodge

Been to The Red Horse Inn? Share your experiences!