“Best B&B Ever”
Review of The Red Horse Inn

The Red Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Landrum B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2008

About four months ago a friend took me to The Red Horse Inn for my birthday. I had such a magnificent time then that I decided to do the same thing for another friend of mine when her birthday came around, and the owners/innkeepers welcomed me back as warmly as though I were an old friend. I had reserved a different room this time, never dreaming it would be even more enjoyable than the first; however, it was. The decor was lovely; the room was large and comfortable; and we had our own patio and outside entrance. I brought food for our supper so that we could stay in the cool, comfortable room out of the heat once we checked in and simply luxuriate by watching DVDs, reading, or relaxing in the Whirlpool tub. However, though the Inn is nestled out in the country, there is much to do in the surrounding area, and there are some restaurants serving delicious food. (We visited some gardens and covered bridges, and we ate lunch at an English pub.) During the evening, innkeeper Mary Wolters visited us and brought some homemade cookies fresh from the oven along with some cold milk to enjoy. The next morning our breakfast in our room consisted of fresh fruit, grits, oatmeal, huge muffins, and delicious egg casserole with juice and coffee/tea. Inkeepers Roger and Mary saw us off when we left, but it was as though we were saying good-bye to family. I can recommend The Red Horse Inn to anyone without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandra011

Reviewed 3 June 2008

It was my (then) fiance that was perusing the internet for potential honeymoon locations. She looked under bed and breakfast type locations, and the first hit she got was The Red Horse Inn. She called me into the room and said "Roger look at this beautiful Inn with cottages located just 30 miles from where we live." The inn and cottages (each cottage is unique and has a different theme) are situated on almost 200 acres in horse country, in the foothills of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.

We didn't look any further, we called the number on the web site.
I got in touch with Mary, who along with her husband Roger and son Christian own and operate The Red Horse Inn. As I talked to Mary she came up with the idea of us getting married right there at the Inn. From the photos I'd seen on the web site I was really quite intrigued, so much so that we took a ride up to The Red Horse Inn and we knew then and there that this was the place where we wanted to have our wedding and spend our honeymoon. Surrounded by the splendor of nature and the beauty of the nearby mountains this peaceful and serene setting can inspire artists, spur romance, or just allow one to relax and enjoy a glass of wine in the solitude and privacy made available by the owners and their staff. Mary even went so far as to offer to take pictures of our wedding using our own camera.
We took her up on her offer and were not in the least disappointed. We stayed at The Spring House cottage and didn't want to leave when our stay was up. Everyone really respects your privacy and makes you feel like family. Needless to say at this point that my fiance is now my wife, and we made some wonderful memories for a lifetime at the beautiful Red Horse Inn. We took day trips to quaint little shops, and places to eat in the lovely area and towns surrounding The Red horse Inn property. I am not a professional reviewer, but I know what I like. My new wife Karen and I really enjoyed our stay. What a beautiful start to a new life for a newly married couple!

Thank you Roger, Mary, Christian and your wonderful staff for making it all happen.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2008

The Red Horse Inn was an absolutely gorgeous property and beautiful place to stay. My husband and I were given a weekend getaway to the Red Horse Inn and we could not have gone anywhere better. The owners, Roger and Mary, were extremely friendly and made sure we had everything we needed. The mountains, horses and fish were beautiful. I could not say anything negative at all. We will definitely be back.

Crystal and Jackson Greene
Rock Hill, SC

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2008

Breathtaking views of the Cliffs, surrounded by a calm that we've found nowhere else. The staff was very generous and interested in our every need.
This is our second trip to the Red Horse Inn and we stayed in the Inn this time. We were graciously greeted at the door upon our arrival, then entered our room with a "welcome back" note on the door. The bed was strown with rose petals and a wonderful note left by the staff for us, congratulating us on the anniversary of my husband's marriage proposal (#20). A picnic basket was later delivered with a homemade pizza since we had arrived so late in the day. We also found the refrigerator stocked with muffins, drinks for dinner and breakfast the next day, coffee, and individual servings of eggs for the next morning. Juice and champagne were for our enjoyment as well.
The inn offers two kinds of bed pillows - fiber filled as well as down, and we got lost in the comfort of the king sized bed. The fireplace offered a glow and warmth to the room as we came in from our private patio. We had our dinner out on the patio one night and enjoyed the natural quiet and beauty of the area. Each night we found ourselves there, looking at the facing mountain and its twinkling lights. Their horse, Beaucoup became our favored pet of the weekend as we fed her carrots we had brought from home.
The whirlpool tub relaxed us, as did the comfortable furnishings throughout the East Room.
We were sad to leave behind the scenery, and the chance to get away and enjoy a truly uncomplicated weekend with each other.
We will be back...for a third time!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2008

My husband and I spent this past weekend at The Red Horse Inn in Ladrnum, SC as a quick weekend getaway. We turned the corner at the top of a hill on a gravel drive only to find a breathtaking view of the Inn, as well as the horse country and cottages below. It was so quiet and beautiful with the mountains in clear view. Our cottage was lovely with everything you could need and more. We plan on going again the spring. I would recommend this to everyone who needs a quiet time for rejuvenation!

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank LewisSpartanburg
Reviewed 28 January 2008

I just returned from the Red Horse Inn yesterday, and I still wish I were there! We stayed in the Spring House Cottage, and it was remarkable. Romantic, clean, fresh, cozy. It had every amenity I could have wanted. Your breakfast awaits you in the refrigerator, and Mary and Roger brought us dinner in a picnic basket Saturday night, so we didn't even have to leave if we didn't want to! The views are breathtaking, and the privacy is unparalleled. I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lkruck
Reviewed 2 December 2007

I absolutely love the Red Horse Inn. I've been only twice, but I hope many more visits will be in my future. The views are gorgeous, the cabins are charming, and there are a hundred little unexpected nice touches that make you feel like a welcomed and treasured guest.

• Stayed: October 2003, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sunnysouth00
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landrum
Mountain Lodge
#1 of 2 in Tryon
Orchard Inn
Orchard Inn
#1 of 7 in Saluda

Been to The Red Horse Inn? Share your experiences!