“My husband and I spent this past weekend...”
Review of The Red Horse Inn

The Red Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Landrum B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 May 2010

My husband and I spent this past weekend there. The scenery was gorgeous! Flowers were in bloom everywhere with the mountains in the distance. The innkeeper, Mary, was more than helpful! It was the MOST ROMANTIC weekend ever! We will definitely be returning!

There are newer reviews for The Red Horse Inn

Reviewed 20 April 2010

this was the best wedding and thanks to mary and roger and staff for making it easy. i love the east room it was great. thanks so much for our stay and best wedding ever. may god bless you for all your kindness and me and my husband will be back to honeymoon there, thanks again debbie and ken

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2010

My wife and I found the Red Horse Inn online when we were searching for a romantic weekend getaway. To say the least, we were very pleasantly impressed with what we found when we arrived. We had spoken with Mary a couple of times as we prepared for our trip, and so when we got there, meeting her was like meeting a good friend who is glad for your company. She welcomed us with enthusiasm even though we were late in arriving. She and her staff had clearly prepared for our arrival. She had our room ready for us, including the dozen roses I had asked her to get so that I could surprise my wife.
The room was romantic, relaxing, and very comfortable. The view outside our window was like something off a postcard, with rolling hills fading away into distant mountains. The inn and the surrounding grounds were truly peaceful, and we felt like we were on our honeymoon, even though we've been married six and a half years.
Each morning we found breakfast that had been especially prepared with both our dietary needs in mind waiting for us in our refrigerator. Mary asked each day if everything was satisfactory about our stay. She suggested local restaurants and sight seeing ideas. We could tell that she really wanted us to have a wonderful weekend, and did everything she could to make that a reality.
We absolutely fell in love with the whole experience, and are planning on returning times in the future as regular guests. We're looking forward to trying some of the other rooms in the inn, as well as the private cottages that are located on the expansive property.
Trust us, treat yourself and give the Red Horse Inn a try!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2010

I found this place's website while in Port Au Prince, Haiti during a long deployment for Earthquake Relief. I scheduled it with my girlfriend expecting a nice time to relax when my ship returned to Charleston. Upon arrival all of my expectations were blown away as I experienced the finest hospitality, genuine kindness, and superb mountain/country-side atmosphere anyone could ask for. The cottages are fine tuned to the smallest detail setting the mood for sparking romance into a blazing bonfire of good times and love for your partner. The area has plenty of places to explore, we chose to chase waterfalls and old-timey bridges for the day. The nearby town of Landrum had some nice places to dine for the evening, but the cottage called to us whilst we were away. Haha. I could go on and on about how epic this place is and how it continues to improve.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I'm a born and raised NYC boy so when I needed to get away from the hustle and bustle of the concrete jungle I came to RED HORSE INN... Simply put it was amazing .... I never even left my room. The tranquil environment and the beautiful scenery are enough to settle any hustler down... Mary was an AMAZING host .... Did I mention this place is AMAZING !!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2010

My wife of 44 yrs took it on herself to surprise me for our anniversary. We live within an hour of Red Horse Inn and with the weather being a possible factor it was perfect for us. Mary did a great job as innkeeper. We enjoyed the next day in Landrum & Tryon, small towns nearby, which have many antique shops, restaurants, & friendly people. One simple night and day to recharge the batteries was a good way to start the new year!

If you have read the one unhappy story about the bad wedding experience get the details first before you write them off!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 December 2009

We recently held a wedding at the Red Horse Inn, The day was beautiful. As far as the view/backdrop it was utterly breathtaking. However, the food was cold when it was suppose to be hot. The wedding party had to serve the toast to the entire wedding becasue the even staff (Red Horse Inn Employees) werent doing much of anything. May be a great place for a couple trip but the Innkeeper (Mary) has no business doing events for large groups. She was very rude and blamed EVERYONE including the bride for the mishaps instead of taking responibility for the events that occured!

• Stayed: September 2009
8  Thank AllWrong
TheRedHorseInn, owner at The Red Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2010

In reading this comment, I am both surprised, hurt and truly devastated.
This is a young lady that came to us with concerns about her budget. She wanted an 80+ person wedding and when the caterer came in with the food budget, she cut the guest list in half.
When I went back to the caterer, he said he could not keep the price per person with this reduction of guests. Feeling sorry for the Bride and Groom, I agreed to do a very expensive stand-up hors d’oeuvres reception at my cost. Cheese and crackers with strawberries and grapes
brie, cheddar and asiago cheese, Swedish meat balls, chicken kebabs, stuffed mushrooms, spring salad, shrimp cocktail, mini ham/cheese croissants, crab cakes and vegetable quiche.

The day before the wedding, she brought in extra tables from a rental company, a surprise to me, because she contracted for a standing hors d’oeuvres reception, not a seated affair, which is a considerable difference in cost. Feeling concerned for her wedding, I said this would be my wedding gift to the couple.
She gave me her “time-line” (how she wanted things to progress) the day of the wedding.
Before the wedding, the chafing dishes were lit and filled with food.
The wedding went perfectly.
As the guests entered and served themselves, I realized that her guests didn’t know this was not a sit down affair and I wanted everything to be unquestionably perfect, so I had 2 of our helpers who were supposed to do housekeeping for our other guests, step in to help serve the remaining hot hors d’oeuvres and drinks.
All of the food came straight from the oven onto silver platters. Hot. All of the food in the chafing dishes had to be stirred to keep it from scorching. All, were bubbling hot. The girls continued to circulate, pouring drinks, serving food, flawlessly, and at no cost to her, but at an extra expense for us.

Her sister came to us early (prior to the Bride’s timeline) and asked us to move up the champagne toast. She was informed there was ample time and it was not necessary to move up the time, but she insisted.
So, of course, we weren’t ready, but because she insisted, everyone jumped in and moved as quickly as possible to accommodate her request. Her sister and mother helped, happily, and no one thought anything was out of place as it can be customary for the Bridesmaid to bring the Bride and Groom them their champagne.
Thinking everything was a complete success, I had one of the girls bring a present of 2 Red Horse Inn mugs to their room. I wrote them a lovely note and later an email wishing them a wonderful Honeymoon.
A week later I got a call from Beth. We talked about the wedding and we seemed to have a pleasant conversation. I told her I had taken on a lot, hoping she would realize how much I had given to her, but there was no thank you and no thank you for the mugs or the fact that we had given her the next level up at no additional charge.
The following day I received an email from her complaining about the final bill, which was the wine, beer and final gratuity, and she wanted to negotiate it.
This was when I realized her all future complaints would be all about money and trying to get me to give her money back. If she had gone to the credit card company, they would not have honored a chargeback, based on the contracts and the email chain.
But, this poor young lady, who had complained about costs, was somehow, at the last minute, able to afford to hire a horse and carriage, a harpist, and a trumpet player, but thought she could negotiate with me about my charges and that I would give her money back if she complained loudly enough, which she did.
She threatened to call the Better Business Bureau, which I welcomed, because I knew that when they saw the contracts and the email chain, they would get a clear picture of this young lady.
I am sorry that she used TripAdvisor as a forum and I thought that TripAdvisor did not allow this kind of behavior in their policies.
I am disappointed in myself, for being foolishly generous and kind and acting as a friend instead of a business person. Lesson learned and sadly, one of our last weddings.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Landrum
Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville
1906 Pine Crest Inn
#1 of 2 in Tryon
Glassy View Bed and Breakfast
Saluda Mountain Lodge

Been to The Red Horse Inn? Share your experiences!