“Charming Atmosphere, Great Service, Wonderful Food! Can't Say Enough Good things!”

Stone Soup Market & Cafe
Ranked #3 of 19 Restaurants in Landrum
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Stone Soup is a casual fine dining establishment focused on hospitality and community. Nestled in the Carolina foothills of Landrum, South Carolina our restaurant is surrounded by beauty. Just as many regulars as visitors pass through our doors and each one is treated like family. If you're looking for a few drinks with friends, a dinner with the family, or a quiet date Stone Soup is here to cater to you.
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I read the last review after our dinner there (glad I didn't see it before), and was shocked. It sounds like the reviewer has the wrong restaurant, especially since foods that he mentioned aren't on the menu. My husband and I went there on a Thursday evening while in Landrum. We had never been there or to the Hare and the Hound but were told that they both had great food, but that we would enjoy the atmosphere at Stone Soup if it were going to be a date night with just the two of us (have heard that the Hare and the Hound is wonderful too, but has more of a pub atmosphere). We could not have been more pleased! We had cocktails on the patio and dinner inside. I had the steak with fresh herb chimichuri sauce and my husband had the chicken. Between the two of us, we tried the risotto, spinach, potatoes, green beans, and mushrooms (all sides), and they were wonderful. The risotto was my favorite. Will definitely be back!

1  Thank LVGDFD

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had heard good things about this restaurant, but we were terribly disappointed.
My wife ordered the roasted chicken, which tasted bland to the point of tasting like boiled chicken. There was also this mess of artichokes, black eyed peas, and pearl onions on her plate that was nasty. My 6 and 7 year old split a meatloaf plate, with mashed potatoes, and collard greens, and also had a side of macaroni and cheese, which the hostess had bragged about as she sat us. The meatloaf was a little dry and mediocre at beast. The mashed potatoes were horrible. My children hated them, my wife hated them, and I hated them. How do you screw up mashed potatoes? And to top it off, the mac and cheese was dry and tasteless. The collard greens were very good. Because everything else on the menu was so expensive, I ordered their hamburger, which wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. It came with homemade crinkle cut fries, and cost $12, which is a pricey hamburger with BBQ sauce on it. My wife's half roasted chicken, which she left most of on the plate and declined a doggy bag, cost a whopping $19. The mediocre meatloaf plate with the side of mac and cheese was $14 plus $3. I had two fat Tire beers that cost $10, bringing the bill to $65 for some of the worse food I've ever tasted. I didn't feel like tipping anything, but you can't blame the waitress for the food, so I left her $10, which I usually tip at least 20%, but this food was so bad. I've owned three restaurants, and I've eaten in good restaurants all around the world, and this was one of the most disappointing dining experiences that I've ever had. I guess there is not much competition in Landrum, but we wouldn't eat there again for free.

1  Thank mrphyjammusashi
Suzanne S, Owner at Stone Soup Market & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

I apologize that you had such a poor dining experience. I (we all) take pride in what we do and strive to provide the best food at a reasonable price in a pleasant setting. I try to talk to every table to see if they are satisfied with the food and their overall dining experience and if they're not satisfied I will provide them with another option on the menu or not charge them for their food. This doesn't happen very often and again, I apologize that it apparently happened to you. If you would email me directly at stonesoup@windstream.net I'd like to talk with you further. I'm a little puzzled about some of the items you said you ate here- we do not have a dish with artichokes, black eye peas & pearl onions, we don't have crinkle fries and we don't put BBQ on our burgers. Our Fat Tire beer is $4 per beer not $5. This is standard for most restaurants for a specialty beer. The meatloaf comes with your choice of 2 sides. If you order a third side there would be another charge.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Wow!!! What a great evening I had with 4 of my girlfriends at Stone Soup. The chef came out and welcomed us as soon as we were seated, and she said she hoped we enjoyed our meal -- nice touch. And we certainly did enjoy it. All of the food was simply fabulous, from appetizers to desserts! One of the desserts was so good, we begged for the recipe (and got it). And we had one of the best waiters I have ever encountered - Carl - who made our evening! He truly understands all the subtle nuances of creating an enjoyable fine dining experience -- knowledgeable about the menu, able to make suggestions, anticipated our needs, and was personable and fun! Stone Soup was so delightful that I want to plan a return trip to Landrum to take my husband there.

1  Thank QueenBunny
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Very nice, upscale place. Great wine selection and the food was top-notch and prepared right! A great place to take someone that doesn't want home-style or Southern cuisine and wants a really nice meal!

Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Made reservations for Christmas Eve and I must admit I was pleasantly surprised. I'm a very unadventurous eater and wasn't sure I would find something plain and to my liking but there was a very good hamburger on the menu and they brought it just as I had requested. Since the wedge salad was iceberg lettuce I gave it a whirl too and it was delicious(my dining companions snitched the hunks of blue cheese from it but that's ok, a little strong for me).Everyone enjoyed their meal and the service was excellent. Actually two very nice ladies took care of us. Looking forward to our next visit.