“Good food, good service, bring a jacket!”

Hudson's Smokehouse BBQ
Ranked #10 of 213 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Takeout
Graniteville, SC
“Good food, good service, bring a jacket!”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Met some friends and their little girl here for lunch this past weekend upon their recommendation and its proximity to their home. They have a buffet, but I opted to try something off the menu. I got an order of hushpuppies and and order of 4 BBQ sliders. You could pick between pulled pork, pulled chicken and strip brisket...I asked if I could get chopped brisket instead since it was on other parts of the menu and they obliged. So I got 2 pulled pork and 2 chopped brisket.

The sliders were great and piled HIGH with meat. I was only able to finish two of them between that and my hushpuppies. The hushpuppies were okay, but seemed to have been fried too long because they were a bit dark, hard and dry. Or maybe they just scooped them off the buffet, I don't know. Either way, they were still pretty good and I'm not picky.

My only somewhat negative is that it was FREEZING inside this place. I'm a hot natured guy, so you never hear me complain about being cold. But even for me, this place was cold inside! So bring a jacket if it's still A/C weather outside.

Service was great. I was seated immediately to wait for my friends and our waiter was very attentive and brought refills out quickly. My friends got the buffet and he also replaced their plates quickly as well.

• Visited October 2013

Lexington, South Carolina
“Good smoked bbq”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The smoked turkey was excellent. Good selection of side dishes and the prices were reasonable. My daughter-n-law is ordering a smoked turkey for our Thanksgiving meal.

Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Setting the record straight!”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Can I please speak out in Hudson's defense? First of all, the plates issue - it was really nice to see that Hudson's had heeded the last review's point about it being hard to get plates. Our server constantly ensured that we had spare plates ready before we needed them! Also, the fact the food available in the buffet changes from day to day we view as a really good thing, since it shows that the food is freshly prepared and it means that each visit can be different. I would much prefer that to the cloned, humdrum food you can get in any chain restaurant.

So on our visit, our server, Clint, did an excellent job - he made us very welcome, and showed a real interest in us.

The buffet is excellent value, and has a great range of sides to accompany the lovely meats. The family felt the pulled pork was the best, but I was a big fan of the fried chicken. Of the sides, the broccoli casserole got a favourable mention from my wife, and I really liked the cabbage and the slaw.

The peach cobbler was a lovely dessert, and the puddings were nice too.

Some of our family had visited Paula Deen's place in Savannah a couple of days before and they all felt that Hudson's offered more variety and was much better value.

It was nice to have the choice of a unique beer, the Smokehouse Brew - I really enjoyed this crisp taste and it complemented the food really well.

Thanks Hudson's! This was our favourite meal during our visit to the Columbia area!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank The_Mighty_Mekon
columbia south carolina
“good b- q,but don't ask for more plates...haha”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Our family has visited this restaurant 2 times .Like others say,the b-q was wonderful.Doesn't need sauce but the sauces are great too.The buffet offers the usual fair of country sides.The bad part of it was some of the stuff was overcooked and hard.I also do not like the fact they have different foods on different nights,so you have to keep up with what day it is to know what they are having.I drove along way to get some shrimp and grits just to learn they had that on a another day.
Our waitress was ok both times,but the 1st time she never offered to bring anymore plates.I do not like that you have to wait for them to bring your plates to go up to the bar again.Sometime you sit and just wait forever for them to come back.Me and my hubby joked it must of been a 2 plate buffet.Cost our family $40 to eat here with 2 kids.not terrible,but not cheap.I wish they would offer more than pudding for dessert too.Will go back again just for the b-Q and to try the shrimp and grits.

• Visited September 2013
Cypress, Texas, United States
“some of the best carolina BBQ”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

BBQ is excellent. All else is ok. The BBQ pork - Carolina style pulled pork and the sauces are hard to beat.

• Visited August 2013