“Owner got in my face”

Sumo Japanese Steak House
Ranked #156 of 219 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Complained about the so called filet. Meat tasted like low grade sirloin. When we asked the server about the meat, she had the owner come to our table. He bowed up telling us for 14 years he has only served filet. Well, the meat did not taste like filet. He sent out a second order and it was the same.

He forgot the golden rule, your regular customers might be right some time. Will never spend another dime in the place. He lost a customer for life. We dine with 4-6 people at a time every three weeks.

2  Thank jinx35

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Although it's not as fancy as some of the bigger hibachi restaurants, this place still dishes out the same good food that the others do. Biggest downfall is the size of the place, it's really cramped when their busy, your literally elbow to elbow with the people next to you. The other thing that bothers me is their is only one Asian cook here, who is the owner of the place, and I'm not even really sure if he's Japanese. He always puts on a great show though, very funny. The rest of the chefs are all American, and usually quite boring. But the wait staff...AWFUL. The only reason we come back here is because it's closer than Harbison or Columbia and cheaper. You get what you pay for.

2  Thank fakebuttcheeks
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Love the hibachi style grill and being able to watch the food cooked right in front of you. The food is seasoned excellently. Its a little pricey, but the portions are awesome! I was able to leave with enough leftovers to take to work the next day. This is definitely a hidden gem in Lexington!

1  Thank Debra V
Reviewed 17 August 2012

This is not what I have in mind when I go to a Japanese Steakhouse. They really need to fix this place up. It looks old and dirty. I don't really know about the food b/c I couldn't get past the apprearance.

1  Thank Katie M
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We've been to Sumo's about 3 or 4 times. My family LOVES Hibatchi. This place is ok I guess. Its close to the house so we do it for that reason. The show is mediocre, the food is okay and the atmosphere seems a little run down. The only reason I give this place a 3 is because the food better than the Hibachi express on S. Lake Dr. in Lexington. If you go for lunch its decently proced for the food. I give it an ehhh... it ok. Miyabi / Kyotos up on Harbison is the best though.

1  Thank Tom G