“The lost crab cake”

Ranked #7 of 71 Restaurants in Little River
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: In the mid 1900's a new chapter of history was made in a small town in Little River S.C. At that time a restaurant was opened in the very banks of the Intercoastal Waterway, called Capt. Juel's Hurricane. In the mid 70's the restaurant was brought by Joe Robertson, who still owns it today. You will still find Mr. Joe in and around the kitchen and his wife Deanna behind the bar mixing up killer drinks or in the kitchen preparing the luscious desserts. The restaurant is managed by their daughter Heidi and her husband Clayton, it truly is a family affair.In 2014 the place under went a total renovation inside and out. The restaurant now features a new Sushi Bar, that's a must have over looking the untouched marshlands. Capt. Juel's stills brings you the freshest seafood, hand cut steaks and chops. The menu is filled with a variety of choices from tacos to burgers. Or maybe just stop by the have a drink on the deck and enjoy seeing the fishing boats bring in the catch of the day.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This experience was during the annual Blue Crab Festival which may be out of the normal. The hostess seemed to be very unorganized and being first in line, we stood for 10 minutes before being seated even with there being empty tables. I ordered a crab cake sandwich, either broiled or baked, it came fried. The crab cake was literally the size and shape of a golf ball lost on a regular sized hamburg roll. More like what an appetizer would be. I would have been embarrassed to serve that. Along with it came about 2 tablespoons of cole slaw and a single size serving bag of chips. I took the crab cake off of the roll because I did not want a bread sandwich. The crab cake itself was very tasty. The server, Kat, was very friendly and efficient. When she asked how everything was, I told her that they could give serve a larger crab cake and her response, although it was funny was, "yeh, I told them to mash it down so it would cover the roll". For $10.95, I left hungry. The stand next door, Fiddlers, $8 for a another crab cake sandwich that was 1/2 inch thick and covered the entire roll. I will not go back to Capt Juel's.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

This restaurant is on the waterfront in Little River, SC. Nice atmosphere, good service, great food. My husband & I went for an early dinner, and was it worth it! We had an appetizer of Conch fritters, and we both had a fish dinner. Both were very fresh and delicious. Would go back again and recommed it to friends and family!

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stopped for an early lunch one bright, clear but chilly day. Immediately we were struck by the gorgeous view. I ordered the blackened mahi sandwich and she had the shrimp and grits. The mahi was flavorful, fresh and delicious, with the fried onions adding that perfect extra element. Simple, yet perfect. I tried some of the shrimp and grits and it almost made me jealous that I did not order it. Best I have had on the grand Strand. We intend to work our way through all of the waterfront restaurants in Little River, and if the others are just as good I can't wait.

1  Thank Geno2138
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I frequent this location for both lunch and dinner, and I have never had a bad meal. I have had both land and seafood. They have recently changed the interior and it looks fantastic. One of the things I most appreciate about Captain Juel's is that they offer excellent grilled and blackened seafood selections. We have tons of fried seafood restaurants around here, but that is not my preference. I usually go for the Blackened Mahi-Mahi or Grouper. I have also had their BBQ shrimp over grits, oh my word, that is good. And listen, you must have this for lunch, the Salmon BLT is the bomb. It is a huge sandwich, filling, flaky and light, but so satisfying. I recently had the Blackened Mahi Tacos - spicy and so fresh. I love having these options available. I leave feeling not weighted down, but satisfied. I also love their pimento cheese hamburger. Great hushpuppies. My husband loves their fried seafood!

The owner has become well known for her desserts, so even is you don't have room, get a slice to go like I usually do. The slices are huge! Her Hummingbird Cake was actually featured in a local magazine. My favorite is her coconut cake, it's always a winner for me.

I have no idea why, but finding (reasonably priced) waterfront dining in our area is not easy. They do have this, and very good views from the inside. The fishing boats are right there on the docks and you might see them come in with their catches.

I've been to 4 of the restaurants on the Little River waterfront. This one is my personal choice.

1  Thank cfoodlvr
Reviewed 21 March 2014

The view, the food, the people! A+
Highly recommend taking the family or a romantic date....even a quick appetizer! The place is clean, the food is fresh, homemade desserts are to die for! You'll want to have two!
Enjoy! If you've been before you'll want to go back to see how they remodeled the entire place! BEAUTIFUL!!! :)

1  Thank Kevnwin