“NEVER AGAIN!”
Review of MainStay Suites

MainStay Suites
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Reviewed 31 March 2008

When you see an empty parking lot....that should be the first sign that things are only going to get worse. The staff is too concerned with their personal lives that there is no friendliness, hospitality or just plain out being cordial. We go up to the rooms, only to find out that the keys haven't been properly keyed. The rooms itself are dingy, dirty... probably been months/ years since the room was vacuumed or dusted. Fans and ceilings had a collection of dust and other foreign stains on them. The sheets didn't look clean. The bathrooms had peeling ceilings from water damage. The counters and nightstands had dried liquid substances on them... who knows what that was, but it was still there the next day after the room had been cleaned again. They didn't have extra pillows or sheets that we could use on the pull -out sofa. Needless to say, this place was a dump and we will NEVER stay there again. If only there were other rooms available in the area at another hotel.........

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 December 2007

I travel extensively and have arrived in the Charleston area back in February of 2007 and was horrified to see the hotel in poor shape as the name "Mainstay". However I arrived in December 2007, an have seen many wonderful changes. New Management, cleaner interior, new paint, new bathroom style, new repairs, cleaner landscape, pool area, fitness center and parking area. The hotel is clean daily, both interior and exterior. The laundry facility is large, clean, new appiances at only 1.00, an the kitchens are spacious and loaded with amenities. Plus they allow pets.
There is free wireless internet and the location is perfect for any events in Mount Pleasant as well as the Charleston area. Here are some photos I took myself of the hotel. This is my room as of December 6, 2007. I am here working on a commercial real estate project and have not had one complaint. The hotel is clean, quiet, smells nice and the service has been great. Whatever I needed, I received immediately.
M. Valentini

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mvalentini
Reviewed 5 December 2007

This hotel is terrible!!! Credit Card fraud!!! I stayed at this hotel for an extended amount of time as an activated military member in 2005, 2006, and was unable to transfer due to the contract that the military had with this hotel. The maids clean the: Bathrooms, bedrooms, the kitchen with the same rag daily, and personal correction only yielded a confused smile, and didn't help because well..........I'm not fluent in the Spanish language nor them in English (this was a trend that was consistent with about 90% of the staff). In October when the hotel finally lost there government contract (due to many, many complaints filed with our lodging office) I transferred to another hotel where many other military members are happily staying.
Here it is Late 2007 I get a call from my supervision saying that there are some unusual charges on my government card and upon checking my statement I found that The Bridgeview Suites recently charged several thousand dollars to my account using several transactions over the course of several days. I contacted Linda Jones (the hotels general manager), was surprised to hear that they had "no record of my payment for the majority of 2006" a total of over $17,000, in fact they had OVER 10 patrons with no record of payment for their stay, and that they are just now seeking payment from them. (At some point you would think that they would realize the problem is theirs and not the patrons) So, I hand delivered my receipts previously printed from the front desk of her hotel (known as the Mainstay Suites at that time)(I guess a common business practice is to change your name if you are corrupt or get bad publicity), 2006 credit card statements (showing that Bank of America debited the money from my account, and deposited the money into their account) to her in person, and inquired as to why a "FORMER CHOICE HOTEL would just stop charging a patron in an uninterrupted stay of over a year starting in 2005, and not seek payment until over a year later". She didn't have an answer to this, but she did convey to me that............. my RECIEPTS FROM HER HOTEL, and credit card statements directly from Bank of America was not substantial proof, and she then explained to me that since she "needed proof from her bank confirming payment" (Why SHE couldn't get it from them, and I needed to is another question that didn't have an answer) and she would not stop debiting my account until the total of OVER $17,000 was reached. I have tried to seek legal resolutions to this but since it was charged to a government card and only Bank of America disputes (one per transaction) can be filed in order to stop this action; there is no legal recourse. This Hotel is Crooked they: Lost their Choice hotel status due to the expense of complying with Choice Hotels Minimum requirements, the Military revoked their contract (this is the only one I have ever heard of), they are trying to defraud over 10 patrons who have already paid their bills. Needless to say I do not recommend anyone stay at this hotel unless they pay with cash, and don't mind the maids cleaning their microwave, and countertops with the same rag that they cleaned the toilet with.

Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank h22turbobusa
Reviewed 10 August 2007

We booked a room for one night when we extended our stay in Charleston. The Visitor Center recommended it over the remaing local ones that were still available. At a price of $89 I should have been concerned. Check in was smooth but you could tell the place was not clean. We went to the room to find it smelling of smoke. Apparently they were all smoking rooms and then it was purchased and converted to non smoking. My wife and son could not even stay in the room while we went to search for another hotel. The ceiling was peeling, the bed sheets were torn and soiled, the bathroom had mold.
We were offered a different room but asked to cancel and they did. We found the last room at the Best Western across the street that was far better for $20 more.
Also,
The name is now the Bridgeview Inn I believe.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank tomn3
Reviewed 2 August 2007

We came here after an awful experience at nearby Red Roof Inn. Front desk staff was very helpful and went way out of their way to get us set up. It was great to have separate rooms for the kids. Room had ceiling fans and AC which was a huge relief from the SC humidity! There is a mix of people staying here - some long-term and some travelling families which is a different feel from most other hotels. Rooms were well-equipped with dishes and pans so you could cook. Breakfast was meager, but hey, at least there was coffee!
Definitely pet-friendly - dogs were very comfortable too.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TanoDog
Reviewed 2 July 2007

I visited here after my Aunt booked several rooms for a party in Charleston. We checked into our non-smoking room to find that it was a smoking room and utterly filthy. Changed rooms. The second room seemed to be cleaner. We dropped our bags and went out for the day. Upon getting back, I jumped in the shower. It was so nasty, it looked like it had NEVER been cleaned. The ceiling was moldy and falling in. The toilet was dirtier than a gas station bathroom. I showered with my shoes and did not dare to walk barefooted in the room. My family members in other rooms said they found a pillow jammed between the bed and the wall - was this bed changed from previous tenants??? Some found used contraceptives (YES, USED!!!) in the nightstand next to the bed. In all fairness, after so many complaints to the front desk they removed the charges from our bill. Folks, I cannot make this stuff up, MainStays in Mt. Pleasant, SC is so disgusting! Beware if you chose to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank sunshiney2007
Reviewed 14 November 2006

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in April with our church group. The hotel lost half the reservations. We had to make last minute reservations at another hotel for the ones with the lost reservations. The first two days we had absolutely no water pressure. Just taking a shower was an ordeal. After walking around the room with my houseshoes, I looked at the bottom and they were black. I hate to give anyone a negative review, but I think this hotel deserves one.

The cost is low, but so is the value.

• Stayed: April 2006