“Most Horrible Experience In My Life!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of MainStay Suites

MainStay Suites
Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Charleston,SC
“Most Horrible Experience In My Life!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

Since I live in the Charleston area, I thought the Mainstay Suites would be an acceptable choice to stay for a week while my home was being updated. I could not have been more wrong! I checked in on a Saturday when all the electricity, phone and internet was out in mid August when temperatures are in the 90"s because of unknown reasons (maybe the thunderstorm?). I realized this was not the fault of the hotel, but a back-up generator would have been a good investment for this hotel. Things did not start getting horrible until the next morning when at 9:00 a.m. my husband and I decided to do some laundry downstairs in the guest laundromat. I accidentally left my purse on top of the dryer when I left to go to my car. When I immediately realized I forgot my purse on top of the dryer, I ran inside, told the front desk, called the police and asked to see the video surveillance camera to see who may have taken my purse. Even the officer wanted to see this video. Guess what? The manager would not come in to show us the video!!! This information could have helped me and this nice officer tremendously. How could this hotel be so callous and uncaring? Everything I had was in that purse! We could have been able to see who took my purse. I will never again make the mistake of forgetting my purse and I will also never make the mistake of staying in Mainstay Suites-EVER AGAIN!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2010

A friend and I decided on a last minute trip to the Charleston/ Mt. Pleasant area and stayed here by using one of my rewards programs. I had stayed here previously in 2006 with a large group of girls. I do have to say that they have upgraded and improved on the hotel. We stayed in the 1 Queen Bed Efficiency Suite. Even though it was a non-smoking room, it did slightly smell like someone had smoked in that room. It is hard to regulate that when they still sell smoking rooms within a hotel. it's funny how smokers don't like to stay in smoking rooms and in turn request non-smoking rooms to smoke it up in. I digress.

New TVs, complimentary internet, laundry room, complimentary breakfast with a hot option, and useful kitchenette with full size refrigerator are pluses. It you haven't been back in a while, give them another chance. We had a small issue with the bathroom light and they came up right away to fix it. They even offered us the option to move to another room if they were not able to fix it, but that wasn't necessary since the issue was resolved.

I wouldn't worry about the bad feedbacks too much. Take note of the dates on the reviews. It seems like most of the recent reviews have mostly been positive and the past experiences have been nullified with the updates.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank amzgrace
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights/6days while on vacation in Charleston. I was worried about what we would find after some of the reviews I read but as soon as you walked in the hotel was very clean and smelled very clean. The hotel staff was great very friendly. Once we got into our room it was bigger than expected it was truly 2 separate bedrooms and each had a full size bathroom. The kitchen was great, had everything but an oven but that was fine. Housekeeping was every 3 days but if you called and ask for anything they would have it to you in no time. We had 2 adults and 2 children in our party and the room fit us perfect. We will be staying at this hotel when we visit Charleston from now on...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Covington, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2010

My family has stayed at this suite hotel frequently since it was built about 15 years ago. For a while a few years back it was an independent motel & became run down. Now it is with the Choice Hotels chain and being managed very efficiently. The rooms were very clean & breakfast was good. My ONLY complaint is the only air conditioner in the suite rooms is located in the living area. Each bedroom has a ceiling fan and a ventilation duct to facilitate air flow. However, in the summer I personally would prefer more air conditioning as the bath rooms could get a bit steamy and warm. This is not a problem at all in the winter as the bedrooms and baths were comfortable. The single rooms should not be affected this way, but we always have needed a suite. I have seen the single rooms and they were very roomy. We find this motel to be a good value and well located. There are sidewalks and you can walk to a lovely waterside park and playground. You can also walk to and over the Cooper River Bridge which is a local favorite. I will definitely stay there again -- even in the summer -- & bring my own portable fan during the summer!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Iowa City, IA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2009

My sister, Mom and I stayed for 4 days at the Mainstay Suites in Mt. Pleasant. The hotel was wonderful. I loved that our 2 queen suite was actually a suite with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The hotel was very clean and Amy at the front desk was wonderful. The hotel was easy to get to, the first exit after you cross the bridge. We rented a car and found it easy to get around in Charleston and easily found parking which we thought was reasonably priced. A wonderful vacation and a wonderful place to stay.

Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
raleigh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

When me and some friends decided to take a trip to Charleston we called around and spoke to MANY hotels. We were absolutly blown away by the professionalism of the person on the phone at the Mainstay Suites. I decided to book our reservations there. Once I made our reservations I checked around to see what other people had to say. I have to admit I was a little leary at first because of the mixed reviews on this site. But I just decided to give it a chance because most of the reviews were a couple of years old. WOW!!!! is all I can say. We were greated by the most pleasant lady (Elizabeth) who checked us in early. Once we got up to our room (a two bedroom two bath suite) we discovered that everything was brand new. It felt like we were the first guests to stay in the room. Everything was so clean and fresh. The next morning we had a delightful breakfast and was given great recomendations for tours and attractions. After our third night there we felt like family. The staff was outgoing and always asked how our day was. On Tueday evening the manager (William) had a reception for all the guests. Please all who reads this review disregard the old reviews! This is one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in. You will have a staff that cares about the guests and their needs, a convienient location to downtown Charleston and the beaches, and a clean and comfortable suite for less than a regular room at nearby hotels.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Cranbury, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

We recently spent 4 nights at a 2-bedroom Suite in Mainstay. Four adults - parents and 2 grown daughters. The hotel is just across the Bridge and in Patriots Point, only 5 - 10 minutes from downtown Charleston. The hotel has a welcoming "curb appeal" and I must admit, I was a little nervous about the place, based on some of these reviews. However, the negative reviews seemed to be at least 2-3 years old. The unit was on the smaller side of course, but adequate. It provided privacy for me and my husband and also provided a separate bedroom for my daughers. There are 2 bathrooms and each has a hairdryer. The showers were excellent and we never ran out of hot water even though we all showered within minutes of each other.
The unit was clean and the kitchen was clean with everything we needed. The staff happily replaced whatever we needed, paper towels, bath towels, cold water in the gym.
The front desk staff was friendly and eager to make our stay pleasant.
The breakfast was adequate and provided healthy items, cereal, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, juice.
The beds were also very comfortable.
Our one problems was an air conditioner which froze over and we had to keep the unit off overnight to let it thaw out. There are ceiling fans in the bedrooms and kitchen. We were uncomfortable that night, but the unit worked fine after that. We were given a discount on this night due to the inconvenience.
Overall, a great place to stay when vacationing in the Charleston Area if you are looking for a clean, inexpensive (relatively speaking) hotel with comfortable beds and hot showers.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family