“Unwelcome Check In”
Review of The Inn at I'On

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Pleasant
The Inn at I'On
Grovetown, GA
“Unwelcome Check In”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Arrived just a little before the check in time and was greeted by a very rude person who let us know that check in was AFTER 3 pm. When we returned after 3 to check in, we mentioned our first encounter, only to find out that was the owner that was so curt with us. The staff tried to make up for his lack of tact. The room was nice, however, the greeting still stays with me. Would not go back nor recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Sindy B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Inn for 3 days and would not again. A few things to be aware of: 1) The hotel does not permit check-ins until 3 pm. They become rude if you ask for an earlier check-in. They were even ruder and offered no help when we asked to simply leave our things in a room or closet. I have never been in a hotel, inn, or B&B that did not permit this or offer other such simple accommodations for their guests, especially given the rates it charges.

2) In general, the staff is rude and unfriendly. Unfortunately, I also spoke with two of the owners and they were just as rude, unkind, unhelpful, and unaccommodating of simple requests. When we asked "Do you have the phone number to the restaurant across the street?" we were told "No. Why would I have that?" instead of something one might reasonably expect from hotel staff such as, "Let me look up that number for you." When we asked "Do you have a reservation for <my last name>?" I was met with an unpleasant, unhelpful attitude and mockery because I gave my last name rather than my first. It's quite a ridiculous place. That second example was a conversation I had with one of the owners, for the record.

3) The restaurant, Carter's Kitchen, is little better. At brunch, we waited 20 minutes for a server to take our order, even though there were not more than 8 tables occupied. When we asked other servers to help, they did not take our order and proceeded to set tables and do other things. The shrimp and grits is dismal. Simply embarrassing for a southern restaurant. The other items on their menu are tolerable and some are quite nice.

There are a number of establishments in Charleston that offer beautiful rooms, easy access to the places you want to be, and far better service. I recommend looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose another establishment entirely.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Ann20008
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We will plan to stay here again! If you don't want to stay downtown Charleston, this lodging is easy to access and allows one to still be within a few minutes of downtown. We stayed in the Jacob's Bond House "diagonally" across the street from the main location w/the I'on restaurant, Carter's Kitchen. Even though it has the charm of looking old, the hotel is actually less than 5 years old. Everything in our room was very nice! The only drawback is that to connect to the wireless, you almost always have to go out into the hallway (top of the stairs) to make a connection and then walk back into the room. The complimentary full breakfast option was a nice benefit; the service and food were excellent. The only not-great point of service was during our first night, while trying to connect to the wireless internet. We had been given the wrong password for the network, since we were not in the main building. A call to the "office" yielded nothing, b/c no one answered. I left an email for the office since there was not an option to leave a voice message. I received an email reply first thing the next morning. Other than that, it was a great stay!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank challengefish
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at this B&B for 3 nights. We arrived earlier than expected so I called to see if an early check-in was a possibility. No one answered. A message stated someone would be available after 3pm?! With no where else to go we decided to stop by and see if we could get someone in person. There was someone behind the desk, who stated he is not normally there at this time and that we can not check in early. The soonest we can come back in was 3pm... Okay... We found other things to do, however, it was a bit inconvenient.
FYI- Someone is available at the front desk between 3pm-9pm ONLY!! There is a personal cell phone # they give you in case of emergency. But that's it! If you need something else in terms of your comfort- you have to wait until after 3pm!

That being said- The Inn is beautiful! We stayed in Room 2. It was beautifully decorated and the bed/linens were very comfortable. The pillows, not so much. The bathroom was updated as well, however, I noticed a few things that weren't major but worth mentioning. The shower head had one nozzle that shot out funky, the sink had the same problem, along with a draining problem and the bathroom door didn't close all the way or lock. Not a big deal for us, but perhaps for others. I also noticed the bathroom floor was very sticky! I put some water on the floor and with a towel wiped it up. The towel was very dirty!! I left a note and the dirty towel on the sink for the cleaning staff. When we came back later that day, it was no longer sticky. I got the impression they have the AM waitress staff "cleaning the rooms". The bed was made (sheets were not changed) and new towels were put in the bathroom, but it didn't seem like the bathroom was actually "cleaned". We had a beautiful porch, that was attached to 4 other porches. There was no privacy between the other porches, so you were literally sitting next to someone you didnt know. Some privacy would have been nice. Our room was directly above the restaurant. That being said-it was very noisy. In the evenings the music would come right through the floor. The music would play late, well after 10:30pm! We also had a young child in the room next to us that cried A LOT! Not the B&B's fault, but annoying nonetheless.

In terms of the restaurant, the breakfast that was included was delicious. We would have to fill out a form the evening before with our breakfast order and the time we planned on being down to eat. This was a bit frustrating. What if we just wanted to see what time our bodies woke up on their own? There was also a note that gratuities were not included. We got the impression that the restaurant was almost more important than the B&B. A lot of the staff seemed to have double duties. The restaurant and the B&B. There were two occasions where I called the front desk and no one answered (after 3pm) and also we were standing at the desk for well over 5 mins before someone acknowledged we were there. However, there was plenty of staff in the restaurant. Just a bit strange. There was also an older gentleman who was there often, appeared to be the owner, but never introduced himself. He wasn't very warm and did not seem interested in his guests. All he said to us was "welcome back" when we would come back from being out.

We have stayed at MANY B&B's and overall this one was comfortable and beautiful but lacking in the "special attention" a B&B usually gives its guests. I've had more attention while staying at a Marriott- at least there is always someone available when you need something. Overall, nice B&B, the location was very close to downtown Charleston as well! However, they need to remember they are also a B&B and not just a restaurant. I think more attention should be paid to their overnight guests!! This is why I gave it only 3 stars!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vbkate725
mrusso, Owner at The Inn at I'On, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
We thank you for your comments and we are sorry for any problems you may have had during your stay.
You are correct in that our front desk is only open from 3pm to 9pm however that personal cell phone you refer to is mine and I am available 24 hours a day if needed. We are a small Inn with only 11 rooms and yes you are correct again that employees do double duty. As a small Inn we do not have the budget to staff 24 hours a day. The Innkeepers that serve you breakfast in the morning are also performing housekeeping duties after their 2 hour breakfast shift and are their until 3 pm to assist guests if needed.
Unlike many Bed and Breakfast Inns we serve a made to order breakfast that the guest can choose from a diverse menu every morning and not have to be happy with that mornings set menu nor do we serve a continental breakfast...guests choose from omelets, to waffles to shrimp and grits to breakfast tacos and more all made to order and yes we ask guests to give us a time when they will come down for breakfast as we are only serving them breakfast and we are not open to the public during breakfast..with that being said we have never turned away an Inn guest who came down for breakfast at a different time than they reserved.
Our housekeeping policy is to refresh rooms every day during your stay meaning we make the bed, provide clean towels, new soap and shampoo if needed and perform a light cleaning on the bathroom...sheets are changed every 3 days during your stay unless you request them sooner ...The rooms are deep cleaned upon check out....
I did take the time to go online and read the other reviews you made on Tripadvisor where I found only 3 other Bed and Breakfast/small Inn reviews...I then linked to their websites to see if we were comparing apples to apples.....What I found was the other properties average room rate was $250 to $300 per night and our average rate is only $150 per night.....
Yes we are not able to offer early check in, and yes staff does double duty and yes we do not have hosts or conceriege service and yes we do not have a 24 hour front desk service but we offer great rooms, a fabulous breakfast, great location, free parking, membership in the exclusive Ion Tennis and Swim Club and a world class restaurant "Carters Kitchen" and a staff that tries very hard to please all our guests(fyi the restaurant is not owned by the Inn but their staff tries very hard to help our guests whenever they can)
Most of our guests are extremely happy that we maintain such moderate rates $140 on weekdays and $160 on weekends and have expressed to us what a great value we are. I am sure that if we were willing to charge $250 to $300 per night we would be able to offer more detailed services.
Again thanks for your comments and we will strive to get better and provide the best service we can...
MIke Russo
Stockbridge, GA
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The Inn at L'On is the perfect place to stay to have easy access to the Charleston. The staff has been friendly and accommodating. Our room exceeded our expectations. It was a nice size with a lovely porch with rocking chairs. The bed: Oh my gosh! So comfortable! The bathroom was large and the towels were very soft. Our breakfast was delicious and had the best grits that I have ever had. I would highly recommend this inn.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LarrJann
Livermore, California
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stay here last year in June. It's a lovely Inn in the ION community of Mount Pleasant. We stayed in the suite rooms but our sister-in-law stayed in a standard room. All were well appointed, clean and comfortable.

Pros -
The Inn restaurant had a good breakfast and a pub onsite.
Nice nature walk through the ION Community
Supermarket close by.

Cons-
The pool is an ION community pool a short walk from the inn. Not really part of the inn.
Not much else to do near by.

Location:

It was about a 15 minute drive to downtown Charleston. We stayed here because we have family in Mount Pleasant. I wouldn't say it was the most convenient location to access downtown Charleston but it was peaceful and much more affordable.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
mrusso, Owner at The Inn at I'On, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Thank you for staying with us and we are happy you enjoyed your stay....Just to clarify the pool is part of a private membership club "The Ion Tennis and Swim Club" it is not a community pool and membership cost several thousand dollars.....there is a large Olympic size general pool as well as an adult only pool. Your membership includes use of 7 clay tennis courts, access to lessons and clinics as well as a full fitness facility. The club facility also features a full service café with lite healthy foods as well as beer and wine.....The Ion Tennis and Swim Club is one of the finest upscale facilities of its kind in Charleston and our guests our full members during their stay.....

FYI ...you must have encountered a lot of traffic when you tried to get downtown. We are only 7 miles from the historic district and our Inn is as close as you can be without being right downtown as we are directly over the Ravenel Bridge which connects Mt. Pleasant to downtown Charleston...

Unlike most downtown properties our parking is free and membership to the Ion Tennis and Swim Club is a great amenity not available downtown. We think this is a small trade off for a 7 mile drive...

Thanks again...Mike Russo
Coopersburg
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Our one night stay at the in n was very relaxing. The room was very clean and the bathroom was very spacious
We loved the shower head and the space in the tub/shower area. The bed was very comfortable and the porch was nice with the rockers and ceiling fan. Breakfast was very good and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed May 2013