“Compact plantation tour”

US$51.94*
and up
Boone Hall Plantation Tour from Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Working plantation with true southern charm. Features world famous avenue of oaks, 9 original slave cabins, butterfly garden, and a colonial revival style 1936 mansion. Tours and theatrical performances offered daily. Used in the filming of North and South, Queen, the Tempest, and The Notebook.
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Boone Hall is a good introductory plantation, 1/2 day activity, or budget friendly stop. At $20 per person it is by far the best value. The house, similar to Magnolia is not the original but does have some pieces of the 1700s establishment and the tour is quick but educational. The gardens are beautiful, well labeled, and compact making it a nice short walk before or after the house tour. The carriage tour is nice because you get the history of the grounds and an up close look at the active planting fields as Boone is still a working farm. The strawberry fields smelled soooooo good! The slave quarters are interesting and similar to those seen at other plantations (same info in 1/3 of the time). We did not see the Gullah presentation but only heard good things from those who did.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The towering oaks, dripping with moss, that line the driveway are images I have seen in film and they, indeed, are just as impressive in real life. The tour around the plantation was interesting and the guide was knowledgeable but I did expect that I would be able to tour the house in its entirety and, most certainly, I expected the house to have been built in the 18th century not in 1935 and not privately owned! That alone restricted our ability to take pictures which, given the provenance of the house and only having viewing access of 3 rooms, would not have made me want to take any. The only saving grace and the only reason I am rating this attraction 5 stars is that Jackie the Geechee Gal gave such a wonderfully emotive presentation of Charleston's Gullah culture that I was left in tears. She was absolutely riveting in her storytelling that she combined with song and demonstrations of Gullah speech and artifacts. She transported me back in time and helped me understand how community, tradition, and hope sustained her people, brought over from West Africa, during America's darkest times...the time when enslaving and owning another human as property was sanctioned and legal. Her story bears repeating on a grander stage than the front of a slave cabin, however powerful that image was.

3  Thank MargaretRj
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I asked the locals "if I only have time to visit one plantation which one should it be?" They did not recommend Boone Hall as the best if you only have time for one. I DISAGREE WITH THEM !! BOONE HALL WAS AWESOME. We toured it in the rain and I did not mind. It is unreal that the slave quarters are still standing with such great displays of information about their lives.

The lane of live oaks is really cool and the visit to the cotton dock with the talk about the
Gullah people and their language was unexpected and so informative.

This is not as big as Middleton Place and does not have the huge gardens, but, this was more than worth the time and cost. Loved it !!!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Boone Hall Plantation is a great place to see how the historical SC low country operated. The tour guides were very good at walking you thru the history of Boone Hall and the surrounding area from the 1700's thru present day. In addition to the house tour (the house is still occupied) and the property tour, there are several excellent specialized educational programs that are well worth your time. I'd highly recommend it!!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

this was a huge disappointment! We were looking for a real plantation and this was a big letdown. The house was built in 1935, certainly NOT in the 18th century. And we only only saw 3 rooms. The tour around the grounds show modern farming, not century old grounds like we anticipated. I do not recommend this! There are other great plantations around charleston that are much more authentic and older. Don't waste your money on this!

2  Thank Chris A