“Rating Our Neighbourhood Restaurant”
Review of Carter's Kitchen - CLOSED

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Shelmore
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Let me preface this by stating that this is our neighbourhood restaurant.
Tonight was lobster night at Carters Kitchen, so we thought we'd give the restaurant another whirl ....
The restaurant itself is well appointed, there are 4 main seating areas, the bar and joiners table, the main dining area, the side porch and the outside covered seating porch. If it's cool enough, ask for the outside area ... it's very relaxed and comfy.

Service at Carters is friendly without being over bearing. Service staff are knowledgeable about the menu and willing to accommodate special requests. ... (slice and dice with entrees and sides).
There is no written childrens menu, but ask your server, she's rattle off a list of possibilities - the usual uninspiring kiddo's stuff, corn-dogs, cheeseburgers, tenders, pasta etc.

There are two menu's, the bar food menu and the main menu, you'll be greeted on both by mainly good "ol southern cooking'. Shrimp and grits seems to be a house favorite and the lamb chops are juicy and good. If you're looking for lighter fare, there are seared scallops etc.

Tonight was lobster night .... ordered the surf and turf - I got the surf (lobster) and my 11 daughter who is partial to steak, got my steak (turf) plus a additional side. Lobster is lobster but this 1 1/4lb(er) was delicious, served with drawn butter, potatoes and sweetcorn on the cob.

My sons chicken tenders with fries and green beans were pretty uninspiring but we two girls were happy.

The staff have talked Chef Carter into buying an ice-cream maker - so tonight we tried home made chocolate ice-cream. Nice touch ... they promise that they're going to make all kinds of flavours in the future.

The only thing that spoiled a great night out with the kiddos was the brash, vulgar table next to us. I should have thought and asked NOT to sit in the covered porch areas where table privacy can be an issue. Oh, well .....

Good restaurant, not great, I wouldn't travel for it, but I as I can walk, I'll return!

Paul T, General Manager at Carter's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Amanda R,
Thank you Amanda. Its always a pleasure to see you and your family. We're very glad that you enjoyed your lobster and we'll explore newer and better options for your children. We're happy your in the neighborhood and excited that you enjoyed our new ice cream flavors. We hope to see you again soon, either on the patio or in the dining room. I apologize for the rude behavior you experienced during your visit and on your next visit we will try to sit your family in a more calm area of the restaurant. Thank you again and see you soon. Paul

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We were visiting family in Mount Pleasant, and our son-in-law treated us to dinner. The first thing we noticed was that the table was actually large enough for all of us and our plates ,bowls, drinks, etc. Our meals were delicious. Prime rib, shrimp and grits, and mussels, and a kids burger (which was the perfect size for a 6 year old!). Portion sizes were good-no waste and yet we were all satisfied. Our server was attentive, but not hovering. The only thing missing was the orange slice for my Blue Moon!! We will be treating our kids next time!!

1  Thank Linda R

Linda R,
Thank you so much for your kind words. We strive every day to deliver excellent food and outstanding service. It's a pleasure for us to hear positive feedback. Thank you once again and we look forward to see you and your family again soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

What a waste of a good location. The advertised hype is all about the "famous" Chef Carter, but don't expect to see him here. He has other backers and another retuarant. After getting the impression that we, the customers, are lucky to be here, the service is very weak, and the food is nothing special. Stick a fork in this one; it's done. It should have been good.

1  Thank LocalCitizen3939
Paul T, General Manager at Carter's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear LocalCitizen3939,
We welcome and value all our loyal guests input. I would very much like to speak with you regarding your dining experience and your comments. Chef Carter like many of Charleston's best Chefs divides his time between his restaurants, charity events and mentorship programs with our young culinary professionals in the Charleston area. I am sorry you did not get the opportunity to speak with him during your visit. He does have a demanding schedule and if you requested to speak with him on your next visit I'm sure he would be happy and excited to oblige your request.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Two dinners. Same waitress. Same poor service. While the food was good, when it eventually arrived, the service was terrible. You shouldn't have to ask where your bottle of wine is after ordering it 15 mins earlier. Had to ask for bread service. Waitress is friendly enough but disappears for long periods of time with no follow up at the table. Will have to think twice about recommending this restaurant to friends.

Paul T, General Manager at Carter's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2013

Dear Linda, Thank you for your response and I apologize we fell short on this particular occasion on delivering our usual stellar service. I hope you will give us the opportunity to correct our missteps and show you the caring service we strive to provide every shift.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed at the inn and just had breakfast at Carter's but it was very good. Everything was fresh and homemade. If the breakfast is any indication of the food overall, I would recommend giving it a try.

1  Thank MBailey0330

MBailey, Thank you for your kind words about your stay with us and we look forward to your return.