“Not so wonderful. Don't bother.”
Review of Carter's Kitchen - CLOSED

Carter's Kitchen
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Shelmore
Mt. Pleasant, SC
“Not so wonderful. Don't bother.”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I am a local and this could be classified as one of my neighborhood places. It is nice inside and the service is fine except I had to ask for water 3 times and we were the only ones in there at the time. But I think the food is very disappointing. I have been for dinner, brunch and drinks and appetizers many times. Everything is fairly adequate and quite average. Hard to imagine that Chef Carter is in charge of this kitchen. The little appetizers are a total waste of time and let me warn you totally off of the fish skewers they serve at happy hour. They are awful. The last time they were undercooked and tasted "off." As in make your stomach churn, bad. I did mention this but nothing was said or done. This is the second restaurant at this location and the first one was no better. I think it is the same owner and management and therein lies the problem. This is a very disappointing restaurant and not worth whatever sum you spend. Find another place.

• Visited August 2013
Paul T, General Manager at Carter's Kitchen, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear Scgardengnome. Thank you for your insightful comments. I will review your comments and concerns with the service and culinary staffs. We strive daily to provide excellent service and memorable food to all our guests. I hope you will return soon and give us the opportunity to showcase our culinary and service excellence. Thank you once again. Paul

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not the best”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Shrimp and grits was dismal. Biscuits delicious! Service was terrible. Many on the waitstaff are friendly and helpful. Others are not. Management is quite poor.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Ann20008
North Carolina
“One of my favorite Charleston Restaurants”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Once I discovered Carter’s Kitchen I have found myself returning at least twice a month. The food is always creative, the atmosphere very comfortable and the staff exceptional. Everyone I have introduced to this gem has walked away with the same reaction!

The She Crab Soup is probably the best I’ve ever had; delicious and the perfect consistency. Do not miss the popcorn… people usually look at me strange when I tell them that, but the stuff is amazing… almost an aphrodisiac!

The hostess, wait staff, and the bar staff are always exceptionally friendly and helpful. The executive chef, Christian, is always more than happy to come to your table and describe the dishes and his techniques. When I first started patronizing Carter’s Kitchen the manager at the time was very social and warmly greeted all customers. Unfortunately, the new manager seems to greet and be very friendly with only the known regulars and seems to ignore anyone else. A minor inconvenience given all the other positives of the establishment.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank 3Neurons
Paul T, General Manager at Carter's Kitchen, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear 3Neurons.
If I overlooked your dining experience on this particular occasion I apologize. I try to touch every table during our dinner service. I will make it a point to talk with you during your next visit. Please let me know when you will be joining us and I will be more than happy to stop by and chat. I'm very happy you enjoyed your experience and I look forward to meeting you. Paul
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Rating Our Neighbourhood Restaurant”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Let me preface this by stating that this is our neighbourhood restaurant.
Tonight was lobster night at Carters Kitchen, so we thought we'd give the restaurant another whirl ....
The restaurant itself is well appointed, there are 4 main seating areas, the bar and joiners table, the main dining area, the side porch and the outside covered seating porch. If it's cool enough, ask for the outside area ... it's very relaxed and comfy.

Service at Carters is friendly without being over bearing. Service staff are knowledgeable about the menu and willing to accommodate special requests. ... (slice and dice with entrees and sides).
There is no written childrens menu, but ask your server, she's rattle off a list of possibilities - the usual uninspiring kiddo's stuff, corn-dogs, cheeseburgers, tenders, pasta etc.

There are two menu's, the bar food menu and the main menu, you'll be greeted on both by mainly good "ol southern cooking'. Shrimp and grits seems to be a house favorite and the lamb chops are juicy and good. If you're looking for lighter fare, there are seared scallops etc.

Tonight was lobster night .... ordered the surf and turf - I got the surf (lobster) and my 11 daughter who is partial to steak, got my steak (turf) plus a additional side. Lobster is lobster but this 1 1/4lb(er) was delicious, served with drawn butter, potatoes and sweetcorn on the cob.

My sons chicken tenders with fries and green beans were pretty uninspiring but we two girls were happy.

The staff have talked Chef Carter into buying an ice-cream maker - so tonight we tried home made chocolate ice-cream. Nice touch ... they promise that they're going to make all kinds of flavours in the future.

The only thing that spoiled a great night out with the kiddos was the brash, vulgar table next to us. I should have thought and asked NOT to sit in the covered porch areas where table privacy can be an issue. Oh, well .....

Good restaurant, not great, I wouldn't travel for it, but I as I can walk, I'll return!

• Visited August 2013
Paul T, General Manager at Carter's Kitchen, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Amanda R,
Thank you Amanda. Its always a pleasure to see you and your family. We're very glad that you enjoyed your lobster and we'll explore newer and better options for your children. We're happy your in the neighborhood and excited that you enjoyed our new ice cream flavors. We hope to see you again soon, either on the patio or in the dining room. I apologize for the rude behavior you experienced during your visit and on your next visit we will try to sit your family in a more calm area of the restaurant. Thank you again and see you soon. Paul
Cogan Station, PA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We will return!”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We were visiting family in Mount Pleasant, and our son-in-law treated us to dinner. The first thing we noticed was that the table was actually large enough for all of us and our plates ,bowls, drinks, etc. Our meals were delicious. Prime rib, shrimp and grits, and mussels, and a kids burger (which was the perfect size for a 6 year old!). Portion sizes were good-no waste and yet we were all satisfied. Our server was attentive, but not hovering. The only thing missing was the orange slice for my Blue Moon!! We will be treating our kids next time!!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Linda R
Linda R,
Thank you so much for your kind words. We strive every day to deliver excellent food and outstanding service. It's a pleasure for us to hear positive feedback. Thank you once again and we look forward to see you and your family again soon.