“Great food”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We are not big fans of spices food, but basil wasn't spicey. We are also new to Thai food. Excellent selections are we were overall satisfied with our meals and will return

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have been to this location several times in the past year, and always have an enjoyable meal. I have tried a number of different appetizers, entrees, and drinks, and have always been thrilled with my choices.

For my most recent visit I went on a Friday evening, and there was a bit of a crowd. Be warned that on the weekends it gets VERY crowded, and you can make a reservation, and most likely should. When my group arrived there was a wait of a few minutes so we went upstairs to the bar. They have a menu of specialty drinks, and most of them are very creative mixed/infused drinks. I had a spicy mojito. Excellent, and yes, it was somewhat spicy. We also had the spring rolls. They too were delicious, and came with a great peanut sauce. It accented the food, but didn't overwhelm it.

The service is always attentive without being intrusive. At my most recent visit I had the Red Curry. I have previously had the Pad Thai and the Pad Prik. The food isn't particularly spicy, but you can ask for "Thai Hot." Honestly, it's still not that hot. Then again, I do like spicy food. If you want to ratchet up the heat, ask for the extra spices. They'll bring you a small tray with three containers: One with Sriracha, one with chili powder, and one with small spicy peppers. It'll kick the heat up a bit more, but I've still never really achieved the full-blown heat I'm looking for.

Then again, you can just eat the food as served. The kitchen does a great job of balancing all the flavors in all their dishes.

1  Thank SCTraveler2010
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We've dined at Basil several (SEVERAL) times and it is always yummy. Try the Pad Thai, wanton soup, hot and sour soup and the cashew nuts! The basil rolls are excellent!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

...and it was a religious experience. We cancelled reservations at FIG and SNOB (so many acronyms in the Charleston restaurant scene) to walk-in to Basil. We were not disappointed. Strongly suggest attempting to snag the chef's table; kitchen staff is professional, and skill is apparent. A big win.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Basil Thai never disappoints. Excellent service and delicious cuisine at a reasonable price point. Ginger chicken is one of our favorites. Pad Thai, spring rolls or a great soup. You can't go wrong.